Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE READ FULLY

I am 99% sure my clutch is fried. CMC & CSC are intact. Pedal still feels springy. & i have all gears while car is shut off. IMO a spring may have popped out causing the lack of disengagement. Im New to the area and currently lack the resources to diagnose and correct the problem myself. Ideally if anyone can refer me to a shop or a great mechanic in the area it would be greatly appreciated.

WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED:
Went to throw it into 5th at around 7k and felt a wall. While coasting in neutral i tried the other gears and felt the same. Stopped the car on the side of the road and realized while running & stopped the car would not go into any gear. Started her in first and managed to limp my way home forcing it into each gear. The faster the speed the easier it was to force it in (pause). Didn't drive her for a day and a half. Went to see if i could diagnose what was going on i tried to take her around the block. Upon slowing down at a red light with clutch depressed fully she started to stall. Not the usual abrupt stop it was a strained tired stall. like i said clutch was fully depressed. At the light she was not trying to start at all unless i gave it gas (started in first) and even then it was sketchy. She's currently in the parking lot at a friends house stuck in reverse :(

SB: I wasn't racing just felt like stretching her legs a little. Only reason for granny shifting:shady:& I'm sure thousands of people have similar posts- i DO NOT NEED A DIAGNOSIS just a reference so i can get my baby fixed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
that's something serious.. if you get your own parts I have a mechanic that specialize on imports. The shop is called Ace. He has been working on my vehicles since 1998 to now. It is on Jefferson ave going towards monitor bridge tunnel .... past the alley if you know where that is.. it is on the left of briarfield rd and Jefferson ave. he can get you running back again..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just a note, for when driving a synchomesh gearbox with no clutch, with practice and understanding you can shift up and down by "rev-matching" to where the synchros will smoothly engage for the relative input/output shafts speeds, and, except for first gear, you need not "force" anything with the potential risk for damage. Good technique with this practice demonstrates that the actual function of the clutch is to let the syncros align irrespective the difference between input and output shafts rotational velocity, but when those shaft's rotational velocity is essentially the same, the clutch is not needed. The technique involves holding the shift lever against the "gate" and wait as the rev comes slowly up or down to the point alignment occurs and you can cleanly push it in gear; with light pressure on the gate, but push decisively when the time comes. At times, it can become second nature, and attentive passengers will ask why you don't need to use the clutch (not many of them though).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a note, for when driving a synchomesh gearbox with no clutch, with practice and understanding you can shift up and down by "rev-matching" to where the synchros will smoothly engage for the relative input/output shafts speeds, and, except for first gear, you need not "force" anything with the potential risk for damage. Good technique with this practice demonstrates that the actual function of the clutch is to let the syncros align irrespective the difference between input and output shafts rotational velocity, but when those shaft's rotational velocity is essentially the same, the clutch is not needed. The technique involves holding the shift lever against the "gate" and wait as the rev comes slowly up or down to the point alignment occurs and you can cleanly push it in gear; with light pressure on the gate, but push decisively when the time comes. At times, it can become second nature, and attentive passengers will ask why you don't need to use the clutch (not many of them though).

Sounds Great, If Only I Could Get Her Started.:shakehead

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's something serious.. if you get your own parts I have a mechanic that specialize on imports. The shop is called Ace. He has been working on my vehicles since 1998 to now. It is on Jefferson ave going towards monitor bridge tunnel .... past the alley if you know where that is.. it is on the left of briarfield rd and Jefferson ave. he can get you running back again..
Check your PM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts