Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever think to convert one of their reverse lights into a rear fog light? I'm thinking of doing it on my girl's car.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
yeah, what he said.

unless u do a friggin lot of work to put a projector or reflector in there, and aim it sorta downwards. pretty pointless imo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its high, but not higher than the rear fog on an R33 Skyline. I was pretty much going to tint the lens the way the DIY explains to tint the corner lights red, and wire it into the fog light switch. So it would be as bright as the reverse light, tinted red.

I don't think it would be too pointless if that light stands between her car being seen or not seen in bad weather. Not to mention, rear fogs are HOT. But w/e, different strokes for different folks.

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
If you're going to that extent... just drill and make a custom bulb enclosure in the back for a fog light..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that at first. But, I think a bulb in the middle of nowhere on only one side would look VERY funny. Not to mention my fiance would not be happy with me cutting holes in her new car :)

Putting it in the taillight is much more subtle, and IMO, quite functional. F-it, I think I'm just gonna do it when it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
well if u're doing a custom enclosure, u could even do it in the center. does teh center mount brake light have a single bulb, or multiple bulbs? if it's more than one, u could fuck around with that, and make that a fog light. plus, that aims downwards anyways

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For it to be a true rear fog it has to be on the same side as the driver (putting it in the taillight does this). Being in the 3rd brake light would not only cause a BIGGER inspection headache, but its actually illegal to modify the 3rd brake light.

I think I'm going to just do it, take a pic. If you guys like it cool, if not well, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its a standard feature on Audi's here in the US, but also on most Nissan's and Mazda's over in Japan.

Its a safety precaution if anything (its also a very interesting conversational piece). If anything, it makes the car more visible at night/during foggy weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts