Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I never really understood this but why are people removing the rear wiper on the cars, is there a performance gain involve that I'm unaware of or is it just for looks

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Base
10 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Some people like the look of not having a wiper back there. The wiper system is pretty light, and would maybe only make the car lose a couple pounds, so depending on the case, it could be for weight loss, or bc they think the car looks nicer without it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Past Driver’s Ed
608 Posts
Mainly looks. Not much much weight reduction by itself, but with the rear seats, spare tire, wrench/jack, back speaker removed it starts to add up. But I have a sleeper and I like to surprise Mustangs, Camaros, and other muscle cars.

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Base
10 Posts
You guys are all wrong...
Increased aerodynamic efficiency is worth at least 10 horses, and JDM points.
Thank you for educating us! I must’ve been tired when i posted my thread, because every car person should know, aerodynamics = horsepower. that’s why all of the fastest cars have huge spoilers, because you need those aerodynamics to go fast! Especially FWD cars, removing the wiper and adding a huge wing, will help add so much horsepower and send it to the rear, that way your FWD car is now an AWD car, and you can smoke any Mustang!

·
Original Owner
2005 acura rsx type s
654 Posts
Thank you for educating us! I must’ve been tired when i posted my thread, because every car person should know, aerodynamics = horsepower. that’s why all of the fastest cars have huge spoilers, because you need those aerodynamics to go fast! Especially FWD cars, removing the wiper and adding a huge wing, will help add so much horsepower and send it to the rear, that way your FWD car is now an AWD car, and you can smoke any Mustang!
that's some awesome logic there. it totally makes sense. hahaha(y)

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I never really understood this but why are people removing the rear wiper on the cars, is there a performance gain involve that I'm unaware of or is it just for looks
I don't really like seeing it in the rearview mirror. Cars that have it at the bottom are fine but it's sort of annoyingly in the way on the RSX.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is for weight reduction. The Type r like the DC2 and EK9 had certain base model spec cars that didn’t have a rear wiper. This was included in the removal of air conditioning, sound deadening, lighter seats, no stereo equipment, no airbags. The DC2 R went as far as having a smaller battery, deleting the clock and hatch light and replaced them with block off plates. I’m sure there are a few more things I am missing from other models but nonetheless the rear wiper delete idea comes from a weight saving mindset. But if you just do this only it won’t do hardly anything. It has to be combined with other things being taken off to have the max amount of weight reduction. Keep in mind that Japan was big in N1 racing and one make racing so Honda made base model cars that they knew would compete and that the teams aimed at weight reduction. Something like the DC5 C-pack that comes with extra accessories wouldn’t ideally be used for racing. Even thought you could strip it. I’m sure it was easier for teams to take a car that is already prepped for racing like the EK9 N1 model that came with steel wheels and crap seats and steering wheels. They knew teams would easily strip those off the car for lighter parts.

·
WILDCARD!
1,580 Posts
It is for weight reduction. The Type r like the DC2 and EK9 had certain base model spec cars that didn’t have a rear wiper. This was included in the removal of air conditioning, sound deadening, lighter seats, no stereo equipment, no airbags. The DC2 R went as far as having a smaller battery, deleting the clock and hatch light and replaced them with block off plates. I’m sure there are a few more things I am missing from other models but nonetheless the rear wiper delete idea comes from a weight saving mindset. But if you just do this only it won’t do hardly anything. It has to be combined with other things being taken off to have the max amount of weight reduction. Keep in mind that Japan was big in N1 racing and one make racing so Honda made base model cars that they knew would compete and that the teams aimed at weight reduction. Something like the DC5 C-pack that comes with extra accessories wouldn’t ideally be used for racing. Even thought you could strip it. I’m sure it was easier for teams to take a car that is already prepped for racing like the EK9 N1 model that came with steel wheels and crap seats and steering wheels. They knew teams would easily strip those off the car for lighter parts.
You're not wrong about the ITR, but don't you think that most of the people who delete the rear wipers from their RSX are likely doing it for aesthetics? Like you said, deleting just the wiper makes virtually no difference in terms of reducing weight for performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts