Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gottem installed over the weekend. I little bit stinky for the first couple days, but after breaking them in... wow, what a difference in braking. Smooth and yet responsive. I'm glad I read the boards before purchasing them so as to not get the blue box hps (aka school bus squeak kind), lol. I almost was going to get Stoptech's, but I found a better deal with the Hawk's.

I did not know what kind of brakes I had on my vehicle when I bought it. But, when I finished my brake job, I realized they were Autozone pads. No wonder my anti-lock system wouldn't work. Also got rotars turned and new flush. Car feels like brand new again. Woot!

·
Doesn't Give A F*ck
20,301 Posts
that's awesome man.

i don't go on spirited enough rides to enjoy the hawks. i have the ebc's and they've been treating me well.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
Wow, so you got the new 5.0 version then? Nice! Glad to hear they're worth their salt :thumbsup:.

Oh, so uh, does your ABS system work now? Actually, I would expect it to work with the old pads as opposed to the new (unless the old were so bad you could never lock them up, lol)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, the new version, woot ! I took the old pads to my mechanic guy and asked him about them. He said that they were in pretty bad shape and due their condition, they would never heat up enough to engage the antilock brake system. He turned and resurfaced my rotors for me and helped me with bleeding the brakes. I am still breaking the new pads in, but they are definitely a lot more responsive and smooth. I just need to beef up my rear suspension a little bit and i'll be ready to do some autox at the SDCCU Stadium (aka Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium) in San Diego next Spring.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
Wow. Yeah to have brakes so bad they can never lock up the wheels is a pretty scary thought! (Not that you should lock up the wheels, but that you don't have enough power to do so!)

I forever thought about getting a rear sway bar upgrade, and thought the Type R sway would be a good compromise/bang-for-the-buck, but never did it, because it's only a little bit stiffer than the 05-06 Type S RSB. Also planned on getting a Type R style rear strut tie bar (that goes in the hatch) but never procured one either <shrugs>. There was a guy making them on here but he went on hiatus, for like, ever. It literally looked like a backyard swingset trapeze bar, lol

edit: this is what I am talking about https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=386536
but then I must've read this and decided against it: https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=377843 namely, post #25 (reputable guy)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Megan makes a decent rear strut bar for the hatch section for under $60 at the RSX store. It's not too bad looking and doesn't appear to hinder anything with regards to storage or cargo in the event you flatten the rear seats. I like the Progress Rear Sway bar kit, pretty beefy 24 mm , but a bit pricey $267. Some lower control arms may also help stiffen it up a bit more too. Those are some of the things I am currently saving up for regarding enhancing the rear suspension. I already have the yellow koni sport struts all around and they work pretty well, and definitely worth the money.

I can't imagine what the strut bar looked like that you mentioned, "swingset contraption", but if you have any old images of it from the forum, I would love to see what it looked like, lol

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
I can't imagine what the strut bar looked like that you mentioned, "swingset contraption", but if you have any old images of it from the forum, I would love to see what it looked like, lol
I opted for the A-spec shock/struts because I wanted to DIY and couldn't will up the courage to do the req'd Koni Yellow modification to make it work, so good for you -- glad it was worth it

So yeah the Type-R floor bar...

vs swingset trapeze bar, hanging on the left:

You might've had to be a kid in the 80' or 90's to remember one of those :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts