Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i attempted to red out my tails today..and ended up with nothing. it was frustrating. i could hardly squeeze out the bubbles and wrinkles without the vinyl sliding out of place constantly. and when i pulled it around the corner, it was almost impossible to smooth it out. i used the blowdryer..didn't help much. then i kinda melted the vinyl cuz it blew at it too much and the vinyl melted a bit with hard wrinkles.

:shakehead: sigh..any tips? should i get the precuts from decalgirl? or keep trying? does the outside weather matter?

·
Registered
946 Posts
what u could do to get the bubbles out is get the x-acto knife and poke the bubbles with mini holes...like 4-5 of them, and let the water seep out...then press it down to make it adhere...thats what i did and nothing is wrong with my lights for 6 months now...

also to try and prevent wrinkles pull as tight as u can when u place it onto the light while holding onto the opposite side..

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't know why the hell everyone is doing the wet method. I did mine the dry way and I don't have any bubbles, the lights look flawless.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
perfectg said:
you don't need soapy water.
so basically just clean off the tails first..then just slap it on dry..and pull tightly around the corner?

i just ordered more oracal samples..hopefully i'll get it the next try

·
Rage With the Machines
1,280 Posts
yeah man...i messed up twice too.....both times dry.....i got one on really good.....
so right now im rolling around with only one on... :p
patience and a credit car for smothing out the bubbles works....

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
i just followed the instructions on the board. i am an idiot too, so if i could do it, anyone can :thumbsup:

um...tips...? i used the soapy dishwashing water method. i never tried the dry one, so i dunno how that goes. anyway, at first it was pissing me off cause i got in on smoothly but then there was this one small bubble, so i took it off and kept on getting that damn bubble. but the thing i realized is it need MORE water. once i got it on flat (not cornered yet), i just used the hair dryer. i was worried it would melt, so i kept it from a distance and kept moving it back and forth. and did the same thing when i cornered it. the biggest thing i messed up on was i actually cut the side of my tail light. not big though. hand was wet, and cold outside. i was tracing the vinyl, then slipped. :shakehead hope that helps

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
I tried with no sucess so I painted mine and they came out flawless. That was about 1.5yrs ago in which they are all faded and need re-done.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ok...the reason why you put the soapy water is..just in case you mess up it will come off easily. HEY!!dont worry if theres bubbles...i thought i jacked up cuz there were bubbles...next day there were still bubbles..but this was because i parked in the garage..when i parked in the sun, all the bubbles were gone...give it like 2 days in the sun and the bubbles will be gone..

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ntskingz said:
I ordered a sample from oracal and they sent me the exact red i ordered from jmod.
they're the same exact vinyl..i believe jmods have a whole roll of that vinyl from oracal.

that oracal sticker on the sample sheet makes it really tight to measure out just enough for both taillights. you cant even peel that sticker off cleanly. i got one half left from my first sample sheet and about to attempt it today again..if i get it, ill be like ryu583 rollin with just one red out.

if i fail, im bout to get the jaguar taillights instead

·
Registered
60 Posts
Make sure you apply the vinyl in a warm environment (i.e. heated garage, etc), especially now if you are in NY. When you heat them up with a hairdryer they'll stay more pliable longer. Just a suggestion :dontknow:

And the sticker on the Oracal samples does come off, just pick at it from the far corner end and slowly peel it off.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
acuRaSX said:
they're the same exact vinyl..i believe jmods have a whole roll of that vinyl from oracal.

that oracal sticker on the sample sheet makes it really tight to measure out just enough for both taillights. you cant even peel that sticker off cleanly. i got one half left from my first sample sheet and about to attempt it today again..if i get it, ill be like ryu583 rollin with just one red out.

if i fail, im bout to get the jaguar taillights instead

anybody kno wherei can get these from oracal or something? link? email?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
mikebru24 said:
Go to Oracal's website and fill out the form to get a sample of the 8300 series vinyl. They send you the #030 red I think. Some use the #030, some use the #031, both are fine. I also e-mailed: [email protected] at the same time; I received two pieces about a week later.

thanks alot guys ur guys help are greatly appreciated..... ok i placed a order on the vynal.. it says "quantity 1", is 1 enough? dont i need 2 sheets?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
1 is 2 sheets I think.

Anyway, I worked at a signshop for a couple years with vinyl and the wet method is incase you mess up. Don't soak it, just a light layer there so you can pull it off with a quick rip motion. If you don't want to spray it, then just get a wet towel and run it across. I just had trouble with the bend since I had no heating method.. I just cut a small slit to eliminate the bend and took a scrap of the vinyl to patch it up. Been on for 7 mo no problems at all.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just tried again using the dry method on one side of my tails..it was fine except when i had to pull it around the corner..that is the hardest part..wet or dry. :crying: ahhhhhhhh this shit is frustrating!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts