Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the pros and cons to a reflash on my 06? it's stock, and i DD it. i need it to be reliable, last awhile, and be easy to drive. What problems might i encounter? anyone with firsthand experience? should i do it?

·
Mercy is for the weak!
2,825 Posts
Yes you should. There are no reliability issues that I can think of. The reflash is designed around having a cold air intake. I would at least get a short ram intake. Its the best money you will spend on your car especially for a DD, you can get it and maintain the stock rev limiter to ensure you wont go past anywhere you dont want too. Its a no brainer man, once you get it you will wonder how you could live without it. I cant remember my car unflashed.

Be warned it will be addictive and will make you want more mods.

·
Officially Retired
4,113 Posts
I currently have a reflash, and the only con I can think of...is now I want to upgrade to KPRO...and that is expensive for the 05-06. Make sure you only get the reflash if you are positive that is where you will stop...if you have any doubts...save for KPRO.

Having said that...I love it...it just makes me want more...:giggity:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i have very little doubt that i wont upgrade to K-pro in the near future, i'm on a highschool budget lolz

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
No drivability issues whatsoever. I noticed I gained about 1-2 more mpg. You lose the vtec crossover noise (not as apparent as on the stock ecu). Okay gains in the mid to high rpm range, but nothing to write home about. It is an alright mod if you have extra money to blow, but on a high school budget? go spend that money on women and booze. I bought a 2nd ecu so I won't lose the warranty if i ever need to take mine in.

·
Naptown_Dblock_Bama_STL
868 Posts
I have the reflash, cold air, exhaust, img, itr header

its perfect for daily driving. it makes the car a much better DD. Get the reflash and intake at a minimum.

·
Registered
295 Posts
No drivability issues whatsoever. I noticed I gained about 1-2 more mpg. You lose the vtec crossover noise (not as apparent as on the stock ecu). Okay gains in the mid to high rpm range, but nothing to write home about. It is an alright mod if you have extra money to blow, but on a high school budget? go spend that money on women and booze. I bought a 2nd ecu so I won't lose the warranty if i ever need to take mine in.

You actually gained 1-2 mpg? Anybody else notice a gain in mpg (under normal driving conditions)? That was the only question in my mind as to wether or not to get the reflash for my 05:dontknow:

·
Registered
232 Posts
how much did it cost you to buy an extra ecu and reflash it? that sounds like an idea to suit me

·
Officially Retired
4,113 Posts
how much did it cost you to buy an extra ecu and reflash it? that sounds like an idea to suit me
Seriously, if you are going to buy a whole new ecu to reflash...just get KPRO! You'll regret it.

Also, reflash doesn't void warranty. Dealerships can't even tell it is done unless they are SPECIFICALLY looking for it. If you are going to reflash...don't waste money on a whole new ecu.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I bought it used for 450 here off the forum and had my buddy who works at a local dealership code it to work with my immobilizer. The ECU does store your highest RPM hit, and the reflash bumps your RPMs up to 8600 RPMs. If you bring your car in with something wrong, its just more ammo for the dealership to deny you coverage. I went with the safer approach (plus it was cheaper than buying it from Hondata)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like a decent and reliable upgrade.

But would it ok just to have the reflash and no mods??? I heard you should at least have some kind of intake...

·
Meth Blow Speed = my life
7,078 Posts
K-Pro or go home...

·
Registered
507 Posts
The reflash is a good mod after you get some of the basic mods, mainly intake. Their really is no downside to the reflash itself. Only 2things i can think of is that you want to get kpro or you miss hearing the sound of vtec kicking in but other then that it a great mod.

I notice that I have been getting about 4mpg gain since the reflash, the reflash will pay for itself in about a year.

·
Hi there
696 Posts
Ive been using #4 for about 2 1/2 years now and no problems. car runs great even with 8600 rpm shifts once or twice a week, and i still get around 28mpg.

I was in the same boat you were i just wanted the best bang for the buck just to make it a little quicker but didnt want to spend thousands. so i got the CAI and #4 and its been like that since march of 06 and i love it cant complain one bit.

Also i got the reflash at 45k and i now have 95k.

·
I love lamp
283 Posts
I was wondering about the warranty issues with the reflash. I just got my 6 year extended warr and was going to hold out on the reflash until I got a 100% answer...is there a 100% answer on that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts