Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wondering how many of you just use regular octane on your type s. It is said that you must use 91+ octane for the best results, but what if you only use the regular will that damage your engine, ruin the performance of your vehicle? Just looking for your 2 cents about this gas thing....

·
GTX35R
30,387 Posts
yes it will ur car will knock like carzy. It's not worth it man just do premium gas

·
Banned
3,212 Posts
OMG search...is it really that hard? if you don't find your answer by searching (which shouldn't happen), then ask.

·
Wingless FTMFW
553 Posts
If your in a tight situation, where you accidentally pumped 87 or 89 then yes, you can drive the car without hurting it. No :vtec: and no redlining tho. But as far as regular fill ups, you should use 91 or 93, whatever's available where you live.

·
:)
15,563 Posts
don't be cheap! its only a couple $$ diff!

·
02 RSX Type-S NBP
49 Posts
what if you buy your type-s used? i bought mine a few days from a dealership. it has 140000km on it. I'm putting Premium 91 octane in it but I don't know what the last owner have put in it. Am I screwed? :confused:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Don't be cheap. You have a high compression engine. 87-octane = :thumbsdow

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
jesus christ you people spend more time telling him to search than just sayin YES
They have to make other people feel inferior to prove how cool they are on an RSX message board. They gotta keep their rep and street cred up. The trendy thing to do is call someone a newbie and tell them to search, you should try it.....it's much easier than a simple answer. Besides, where's the fun in a simple answer if instead you can elect to prove what a seasoned veteran you are around these parts.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
They have to make other people feel inferior to prove how cool they are on an RSX message board. They gotta keep their rep and street cred up. The trendy thing to do is call someone a newbie and tell them to search, you should try it.....it's much easier than a simple answer. Besides, where's the fun in a simple answer if instead you can elect to prove what a seasoned veteran you are around these parts.
I think it has more to do with preventing more reposts in the future. But who knows, it could be a series of superiority complexes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just wondering how many of you just use regular octane on your type s. It is said that you must use 91+ octane for the best results, but what if you only use the regular will that damage your engine, ruin the performance of your vehicle? Just looking for your 2 cents about this gas thing....
You think they say 91 cuz that was the latest number on bingo?

truth is you should really run 93 if possible...it will improve performance, and reduce risk of knock (which can damage an engine over time)

Running >91
it will ruin ur engine cuz it will knock
it will hurt performance...

and that is my .02, but its not an opinion its a fact

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.