Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming up on my first oil change next week and i wanted to know what works BEST for the K motor....I've heard mixed opinions and if i go with synthetic i want to make sure it's the right one so i don't have to flush it before switching back. Also, what weight do you guys use for these motors in the heat? I've heard 5W-20 works well, any input would be great :thumbsup:

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rsx m-3 said:
first off its better to change to synthetic when you do your second oil change. at around 7000-10000 miles. you shouldnt change to synthetic for your first oil change. also 5w30 is recommended.
Ok, that's understood, but what works better with these k series motors? Like for example, my VR6 hated synthetic oil, it ran crappy with synthetic oil...bad idling, lifters were noisy, etc. Let me know what you use for instance.

· one.4our.3hree
1,744 Posts
i use mobil1 synthetic.. 5w-30.. it loves that stuff.. expensive tho.. just bought another case of 6 toda, oil is a lil below the lowest dot.

· I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
ILuSiOnZ said:
Ok, that's understood, but what works better with these k series motors? Like for example, my VR6 hated synthetic oil, it ran crappy with synthetic oil...bad idling, lifters were noisy, etc. Let me know what you use for instance.
Synthetic should not have had this effect on your engine... The number one benefit to good synthetic such as Mobile 1, is it has a much better resistance to thermal breakdown.

As long as you are replacing your standard oil with the same weight synthetic, you should not see any real difference in how the engine responds to the oil. Many people simply purchase the oil, and dump it in, not paying close attention to the oil's viscosity rating. If you install a heavier oil, you will altimately affect oil pressure, which could be the reason for the problems you were having.

Many types of synthetic are not available in all of the weights that standard oil is, so pay very close attention here.

See ya,
JMS

· I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
quang said:
i use mobil1 synthetic.. 5w-30.. it loves that stuff.. expensive tho.. just bought another case of 6 toda, oil is a lil below the lowest dot.
I normally wouldn't admit to shopping in Wal-Mart in public :eek: , but the Wal-Mart's around here has Mobile 1 available in Five Quart bottles, for about the price of four seperate quarts. It is sort of like getting buy four get one free.

-JMS

· one.4our.3hree
1,744 Posts
JMShipp2 said:
I normally wouldn't admit to shopping in Wal-Mart in public :eek: , but the Wal-Mart's around here has Mobile 1 available in Five Quart bottles, for about the price of four seperate quarts. It is sort of like getting buy four get one free.

-JMS

i shop there all the time..

i buy my mobil1 syn at BJ's wholesale, its like $24 for 6 qt's

· i ❤ macro.
2,252 Posts
rsx_ht said:
so i'm going to wait until my second oil change to switch to synthetic, but does anyone have suggestions for this first oil change?
Get the oil change done at the dealer, some dealers will do first oil change for free. Mine didn't.

If you feel comfortable changing it yourself you can also do that. Personally, I rather have my oil changes on record for warranty purposes. To each his own.

· Hoosier
12 Posts
When u go synthetic, u should consider Amsoil. I just recently put in their 5w-30 synthetic and it definitely feels smoother and it seems like the gas needle is goin down a lot slower with no change in driving style, it was about 6 bucks a quart.

· Registered
114 Posts
Mobile 1 Tri Syn... Its the shit!! I just had mine changed today.. Got the K&N Oil Filter, anyone have anything to say boout those? Should I continue with the K&N or just use Honda?

· 1 of 1
6,419 Posts
I use M1 5w-30 during the spring summer fall and M1 0w-30 during the winter. I also use the m1 filter. All i can say is i love this oil...the engine just runs so much smoother...idles lower (doesnt have to work as hard cause it lubricates so well.) and it feels great. Plus at least i know im getting the best protection while im ripping 8200 rpm! :laughing:

M1 = :thumbsup:

· Registered
114 Posts
shouldnt you be using a heavy oil in the winter? 0w is 0 weight.... Use that in the summer and 5 or 10 in the winter.

· Registered
176 Posts
EternalBlue said:
Get the oil change done at the dealer, some dealers will do first oil change for free. Mine didn't.

If you feel comfortable changing it yourself you can also do that. Personally, I rather have my oil changes on record for warranty purposes. To each his own.
For warranty purposes, all you should have to do is keep your receipts for the oil and filter that you purchased if you change your own oil.

All I know is that I'm not going to pay the dealer $100 :eek: or the lube place $60 for changing my oil when I can just pay less than half to do it myself. :rolleyes:

· Registered
355 Posts
Ive got almost 100thou on my S, been using M1 5/30 since new.
Yes I get it at walmort too,
friend of mine uses Amsoil and swears by it.

After speaking w/a race mechanic, he suggested that at 100,000, I should switch to
10/30 wt. Anyone have any comments on that?

Nova.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.