Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, so I finally had the time to actually start working on my Nexus headunit. The way I'm doing it is a bit different, which you'll see below. Ever since my car got broken into, I've been scared where I park now, even though I never leave anything valuable inside. So I'm not going to take any chances having the tablet visible.

This isn't really a DIY, but more of an insight that hopefully would be able to help you out or give ideas if you decide to do the same thing.

I am not a professional or master craftsman, not do I claim to be one LOL

So what I'm currently doing is modifying the Double DIN Plate and expanding the opening in order to fit the Nexus and make it easily removable. I then made a backing plate that'll hold the Nexus in.

First started off with this piece, taping off the sections I want to shave off with a dremel.

May be a bit flimsy due to the thin plastic, however once you make the fiberglass backing, it'll reinforce the whole structure

Fits in easily and I was surprised that it was actually big enough to accommodate the size of the Nexus

I then taped the tablet up and laid it face down to start making the fiberglass backing plate.

Cut out a piece of fabric and started laying resin down.

Let the resin harden about 45 minutes before slowly pulling the Tablet out.
(I didn't let it fully harden because I did that once on another project and had to literally cut the iPad out and start over, because it was hard as a rock and nearly impossible to pull out :rotfl:)
Though it wasn't completely hardened, it still retained its shape and was easy to pull the tablet out.

Let the resin and backing plate completely harden for a couple hours and here is another test fit.

Filled up the crevices and smooth it out with bondo.

Sanded and dremeled down so the tablet could fit again

The reason why I'm keeping the Single DIN is because it has bluetooth functionality so I'd like to retain the easy access for both my tablet and phone.

More progress pics will come along the way.

If you have any tips or new ideas, or any advice to improve my project, feel free to comment!

khoala!

·
Doesn't Give A F*ck
20,301 Posts
:wait:

·
still a BUSTA!
3,406 Posts
Great work man! I've been wanting to do the Nexus 7 in dash for a while now.

Ever heard of Doug Bernards on youtube? They have some great ideas for ipad/nexus7 mounts. Check out his channel for some ideas.

Only downside to his kits is they are on the pricey side

http://www.soundmanca.com/products/nexus-7-float-mount-kit

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great work man! I've been wanting to do the Nexus 7 in dash for a while now.

Ever heard of Doug Bernards on youtube? They have some great ideas for ipad/nexus7 mounts. Check out his channel for some ideas.

Only downside to his kits is they are on the pricey side

http://www.soundmanca.com/products/nexus-7-float-mount-kit
Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words.

But yeah, I've watched a couple of his videos and they are god damn hilarious :rotfl::rotfl:

His work is pretty much what inspired me to make the nexus removable instead of having to be behind the faceplate and have to sit behind there forever. I basically "recreated" what his kit is for a couple of bucks, but the finishing touches are hard.

Making it work was easy as hell, but just make it look good and have a perfect mold shape is what I'm having trouble with.

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the back of the Nexus, there is a metal plate (stuck on by adhesive) made my Schosche that allows it to be used with those car Magic Mounts that stick onto the windshield.

So to hold the tablet in, I cut a square in the middle and added a magnet and put a thin layer of bondo over it to hold it in place.

If you are wondering, no, the magnet does not damage the tablet.

(You can see the work in the middle slightly)

If I were to do this again, I would incorporate the magnet into the fiberglass while it's still curing.

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next up: Charging

In this method, I use a right angled usb cable. I could have used Induction charging but I guess I wanted to save as much money as possible.

So I lined the tablet up and marked the trim to where the USB would sit.

The way I cut it, you'll have to "insert" the charging cable everytime you take the tablet in and out. For me, it's not too much of a big deal since it only takes 2 seconds.

But the nice thing is, the cable won't be visible when the tablet is mounted.

View from the front while mounted

View from the back

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a single DIN unit that I just kept and it's behind the huge space now.

Test Fit:

Yes I know it's ugly but I still gotta make finishing touches LOL

·
Registered
842 Posts
Looks legit!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
looks sweet man! I like the fact that it's removable, that could save you some headaches with people trying to break in and steel it.

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks sweet man! I like the fact that it's removable, that could save you some headaches with people trying to break in and steel it.
Yes it does! A big reason why I made it removable. Plus I didn't like the fact that it would be sitting in 90+ degree weather in the summer if it wasn't removable. Thanks man!

So does this connect to your factory speakers and play music/videos also then?
Yup! I watch Friends while driving sometimes. I've watched it so many times that I just listen to them talk and it's still hilarious hahaha

My next project is completely deleting the headunit and implementing induction (wireless) charging so there will be no wires whatsoever

·
Premium Member
430,557 Posts
damn pretty cool project here, looks real good

·
Expert Amateur
117 Posts
Awesome setup, very clean!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts