Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Removing shoe polish from car

809 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Capbill 
#1 ·
ok, after autoX'ing a couple weeks ago, i scraped off that white shoe polish they use for the numbers on your windows. after i was done, i lightly brushed the debris off the car with one of those cloth diapers.

well, it was very humid out and it was just starting to rain, and i couldn't get all of the stuff off.

my question is what is the best way to get it off of the paint? its hardened to the point where i have to scrape it off with my fingernail, and i don't want to do that. i know windex will take it off of the windows easily (i didn't have any at the time), but i'm not sure if i can use it on the painted surfaces.

also, i'm guessing its bad to have left it on the car for so long. i should have asked this question a long time ago.

at least i have a shipment of zaino products on their way :eek:

#4 ·
so, ure getting a claybar then . .right ?

very likely that will do it . .. . i dont suspect there are harmful ingedients in that shoe polish -

i use GM window cleaner to get it off my windows at the track - it is the best stuff i have seen so far . .it just melts it . . .

i bring enough for everyone now . . . windex etc just dont do it as well . . .

you could go get some of the above mentioned products - but im certain they are abrasice in nature - and that is a decision you have to make . . .

#5 ·
oops - forgot some other options . ..

WD40 - Goo Gone etc . . petroleum distilates . .

wet peper towel or very soft cloth - lay it on the are for a minute or two - wipe off and then rinse with water - no paint harm . .

might just do it . ..

#6 ·
you bet i'm getting the clay bar :)

thanks for all the options, i wasn't sure what would be safe for the paint, and i didn't want to use something that was too abrasive. i tried wd40 on the windows before and it didn't do anything... the windex worked great on the windows, though.

thanks for all the advice, i wanted the reassurance that there wouldn't be any harm to the paint.

:shooting: myself for not taking car of this sooner :jigglemad :eek:

#9 ·
i had the same thought before i opened the thread . . .

also, dont use the wd40 googone etc to remove the stuff from your window . . . . i meant to soak the stuff thats on your paint . . .then remove . .

#10 ·
I use rainX on the windows so it goes on thinly then I wet it down & use a razor blade scrapper & use a wet paper towel to catch the small stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.