Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey looking to determine if something will be as big of a chore as I think it will be.
2002 RSX Type S with 240,000 or so miles on the car (all Ohio weather). I have been throwing parts at it as most things are just wearing out from time and milage. A handful of years back I got hit in the back and we thought all the damage was up high in the tail gate area. The other persons insurance repaired as much of the damage as was found. What we did not know is that the hit was just perfect and flexed the car right at the B-piler. Both of the rear jack points are now rusted out and the floor board along the bulk head where the back seat sits is starting to go as well (found a new hole via screw driver by accident).
I know that the cash value of the car is not much due to the milage but has anyone had any luck replacing both rocker panels, rear jack points and the floor board section that goes all the way across at that point? I would assume that there is more damage that I have not found as this car likes to keep breaking new things as I replace something else. Other than the rusted out floor problem (and the normal Ohio rust at the back of the rear wheels) the biggest issue is that it needs a total mechanical restoration. (original seals on way to many things etc).
Is this going to be as big of a hassle as I think it will be and are the parts even out there?
Thanks

· Registered
466 Posts
I would look for someone parting out a shell.

Cut out and weld what needs replacing. Seal n paint. Do some undercoating treatment to prevent future rust.

Its a lot of work but your car, your build.

Could always swap everything over to another shell.

#Food4THOT

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would look for someone parting out a shell.

Cut out and weld what needs replacing. Seal n paint. Do some undercoating treatment to prevent future rust.

Its a lot of work but your car, your build.

Could always swap everything over to another shell.

#Food4THOT
Thanks, thats mostly along the lines I was thinking it was going to take. The big concern is that most of the mechanicals are in need of a lot of resto work themselves so Im wondering if it might not be easier to part out this shell and then offer the whats left of this shell to someone to do what you suggest for another car. At 240K miles it would be a lot of work and for no cash ROI. I "got" this car because of a family situation so Im not all that attached to it other than wanting to get as much of the money I have recently spent on it back if I can (and possibly more). I use it now and the motor is starting to run better than it has in a long time so I know someone could rebuild it into something. Also I do not believe the ECU is original (ie no updates or "adjustments"). I guess the other big question is what to replace it with and how soon.

· Registered
466 Posts
If you're not attached and plan to sell. Don't waste the time, just sell as is.

But if it was mine. I would repair bc I am attached to my rsx. I've had mine for 12 years and love it more n more as time goes on.

Even though your miles are pretty high. Its a Honda n the market now for these cars/motor are in your favor.

Find something you want to put the time into. Drive this as a daily until you're ready to sell but be honest in your pricing bc of the issues at hand.

Time is more valuable then money.

So the sooner you set your goals, the faster you can achieve them.

· Registered
02 Rsx Base converted to manual k24a2
1,336 Posts
If you've got the space and time to fix the issue, keeping it would help build a solid bond between you and the car. I replaced my quarter panels myself on mine (Illinois daily driven for 20 years) and now it looks great. It wasn't a perfect job because I'm not a welder nor a body guy. It was a lengthy process for me and took several months of labor in between working a full time job and other life responsibilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts