Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
according to what i read in this forum, replica kits are made out of cheaper materials and are easier to break. my question is, will it be more dangerous, specially in a collision, if i put in the replica kits?

-thx

·
Registered
601 Posts
most if not all aftermarket body kits are not tested for collision... they will most likely shatter on impact, but it's the frame of the car that will absorb the impact, not the body kit... i think the only thing that actually makes a difference is the stock hood, which is tested for collision... carbon fiber hoods are not designed like the stock hood...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think it depends on how BIG the collision is.
If you have OEM (urethane) and small collision = it will bend, thus fixable.
BIG collision = bodykit will absorb some force.
If you have aftermarket(fiberglass) and small collision = It will CRACK, have to replace.
BIG collision = no absorption watsoever.

So if you drive safely, go with cool looking aftermarkets.
if you drive harsh or you are a learner, go with OEM. It's clean N safe.
Good day.

·
one.4our.3hree
1,744 Posts
stock hood = folds, cf hood = shatter?

also, behind the oem bumper there is a foam peice to absorb some impact..

some body kits dont have room for that peice..

5,340 Posts
quang said:
stock hood = folds, cf hood = shatter?

also, behind the oem bumper there is a foam peice to absorb some impact..

some body kits dont have room for that peice..
The bumpers do nothing in the event of an accident. Theyre there purely for cosmetic purposes only.

·
yawn..
7,285 Posts
AM is pretty weak heh exp fiber glass.. a little hit and it's gone..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
darn... i always hit the sidewalk in parking lots :eek:

·
16,924 Posts
About CF hoods, I don't think they shatter. I think they stay straight or near straigh so they fly into the cabin whereas the OEM hood would just crumple and absorb the impact while hopefully staying out of the cabin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
carbon fiber hoods fly into the cabin??? s*** hell no man if thats true no way am i getting near one....they look cool but if i was in an accident i dont want a carbon fiber hood cutting my head off!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.