Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

resale value increase as rsx gets rarer?

12K views 38 replies 34 participants last post by  Blueteck 
#1 ·
just thinking about the resale value of my car the other day. Does anyone think in a couple years a stock well cared for low mileage type s will have pretty good value? I figure by maybe 2012 enough of the type s will be modded to shit or crashed or have a ton of miles on it, maybe if i catch the right buyer someone will really want it. Doesn't first gen rsx respond better to kpro as well? Just being hopeful :laughing: thanks guys!

#3 ·
not necessarily increase, but hold value better due to being a rare car. basically, will there come a day when people are willing to pay a little extra for a clean unmolested type s, say the way people covet teg type r? obviously rsx-s is way more common than type r teg...

#5 ·
The rsx's in general are losing value. Right now they are pretty cheap even if it has low mileage and clean. But the prices will go up due to it being a car in demand just like the neon srt-4.

#8 · (Edited)
Wrong.

Best friend's mom bought a '71 Challenger for list price in 1971. It sat in the garage since then almost. Has been offered $50k for it.

Tell me how that wasn't a good investment? Lol

EDIT: But I will def agree that RSX's will not increase in value.

Reactions: funDmental
#17 · (Edited)
Not to be a dick, but I will try to tell you why it's not a good investment.

1970 Challenger price in 2009 dollars = ~$17.5k

If your best friend's mom had taken that original $17.5k (of 2009 dollars) and instead put it in a virtually-risk-free 30-year treasury bond (which was 6% in 1971), that $17,500 would be equal to 17500 * (1.06)^38 = $160,200 today

That 160k is guaranteed money if you had held that bond until maturity. It can be seen as the guaranteed return on money held for long time periods. Hence, any investment should at least beat this figure in order to be called an "investment". Or else you could've just thrown that money into a bond, forgotten about it, and taken profit off those guaranteed returns in however many years.

$160,200 > $50,000, so the real rate of return on that car's purchase is actually negative, even though its nominal return seems to be "sky high" at $50k

Most people tend to grossly underestimate the opportunity cost of holding money (in this example, holding money in the form of a car).

#12 ·
it'll be rare when they're less than 1000 of them and there's a market for em.

Honda's sold like 500,000 RSX's over 6 years.

u just hold yer breath till it becomes rare.

#22 ·
...and since nobody else has said it yet, No, the first gen does not respond better to mods or kpro. The Z1 has better cams and responds better.

Reactions: "JUICE"
#38 ·
i see rsx's and type-s's everywhere all day. there is nothing special or rare about it. /thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.