Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently own the base 5-speed rsx. and my goal is to hae a higher whp output than that of the type s. i only have intake exhuast right now. but iw as looking towards a turbo. i was wondering what would i need to do, to go all motor, and beat a type s. (put all money issues aside) i dont plan to g at it all at once. but id like to know where i should start. pnp? so on and so on.

ryan

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
R2's lil RSX said:
i currently own the base 5-speed rsx. and my goal is to hae a higher whp output than that of the type s. i only have intake exhuast right now. but iw as looking towards a turbo. i was wondering what would i need to do, to go all motor, and beat a type s. (put all money issues aside) i dont plan to g at it all at once. but id like to know where i should start. pnp? so on and so on.

ryan
n/a? not gonna happen unless you get some go juice.

f/i, when it's out, very possible, good luck :thumbsup: (you'll lose any long life that your car would have though....)

honestly, go get a 50 shot, you'll outrun an s. :wavey:

·
Registered
83 Posts
The two main downfalls about the base is 1.) it's head and ivtec 2.) lack of 6 speed

If you want to do ANY major NA mods to the base, the BEST mod would be to swap heads with the type s. the base uses only two cam lobes and VTEC only on the intake side. the s has the traditional 3 lobe design with vtec on both intake and exhaust cams. having the reputation of flowing almost as well as the f20 s2000 engine, the s head is the way to go.

of course it will be a few years, or a LOT of money now, until such swaps are common enough to do easily. i'm not sure how easy it would be to swap ecu's, but that has to be figured out before hand...

the only saving grace for the base is that at the racing end of the spectrum, you don't need vtec on either intake or exhaust as race cars won't go under 5,000 or so rpm. therefore, the non-vtec lobes are just excess weight. cam lift and duration will be so radical that no street car can handle this setup...

even with the heads swapped, the extra cog in the type s tranny will give it that much more of an advantage. how easily will it be to swap? that will be determined in the future. but by that time people will probably have swapped whole k20a2's by then...

the moral of the story: the base will always be slower than an s with the same amount of cash to tune with. and any swapping done with the base is just bringing it closer to the STOCK type s, let alone a modded one...

What to do if you have a base? save your cash. any mod done on a base will be 2x as potent on a s. best bet is to trade in the base for the type r when that hits the states. then the type s' will have to play catch up without lsd, 17's, brembos (maybe), shorter FD, etc...

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
madfast, you are a little off base on your advise re. the original question. There have ben much discussions about the fiff s so do a search.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't think i was off base. he asked if a base could be modded to beat a rsx-s.

a stock rsx? of course, but it would have to be more than just bolt ons. but remember, all that money spent on mods and you'e just equalizing yourself with a STOCK car.

a modded s? no way!! let's be realistic. any mod done on the base can be done on the s most likely with BETTER results as it was BETTER to begin with!! a highly modded base can surely beat a lightly modded s but not a highly modded s.

my advice was to hold off on the expensive mods such as internals and trade in for a type r when it comes, or a type s if you can't wait. in the end you are only as good as your foundation and the base is a worse foundation!!! you can do the head and tranny swaps but then you're just making a homemade type s!! it would be cheaper to just trade in for a better car....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as for the type r. swap maybe. i was planning on TC this time next year. so if type r is out. and i have the moneyto sawp. then...we'll see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.