Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 base auto, spark plugs changed, tranny fluid changed, oil/oil filter changed, have an aem sri, replaced valve cover to an itr one with new plug seals/new gasket, have the stock header/cat and hks hi power catback. Also have replaced primary 02 sensor. I still get a rich smell when accelerating somewhat harder than normal and when I start to approach 75-80 mph and definitely if I'm going over that. I've tried to search threads and all I've seen is burnt clutches, but unfortunately i have an auto so I doubt that info helps. Could it be something with the tranny? The brakes are only a few months old. The car is slightly lowered with eibach springs. Thinkin of taking it to a shop for troubleshooting, the car drives fine, that smell just bugs cuz I know it's bad to inhale those fumes. I've also changed the cabin air filter. Would problems to the a/c cause this smell? Trying to get help before i take it in to a shop.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
well I would eliminate any non-car related things like road kill, dead mouse in the engine compartment or plastic bag melted to the exhaust.

if it is a gas smell it could be caused by poor quality gas, some of that shit smells like sulfur when you step on it.

·
Soup to nuts
7,175 Posts
how do you drive the car? If you drive it like a grandma all the time, chances are its just carbon build up.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had this problem for quite a while now, I had an old thread I made, thinking I had some solutions to the problem, still have the same problem. Car has 95K on it, but I do drive it pretty slow, from 65-70 on my daily commute. When I get to 75 or over, it starts to make that smell, or during hard revving/accelerating. I even get it when I'm going up hill and the engine is being pushed. I was thinking it was the a/f ratio maybe, had my primary o2 replaced but that hasn't helped. I don't think this my aftermarket parts are causing this since I had this problem before those parts were added and I was all stock. I have a cat on it with extremely low miles. Had the upper engine steam cleaned. Wondering if I should start replacing anything like the iacv, pcv, fuel filter, not sure when the last times those were placed, which was probably never. Best bet going to a dealer or private mechanic? Muffler shop?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It kinda smelled like rotten eggs earlier when I revved it hard to around 7k, I'm leaning towards cat, I'd hate to spend a ton of money on replacing the cat only to find out its something else. If the cat went bad, wouldn't I throw a code???

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The smell smells more like a smoke, as oppose to a gas smell you would smell at a gas station, and it rarely smells like a rotten smell from sulfur. Just hoping its a minor leak that can be fixed with a gasket or some part that needs to be cleaned. Thinking of checking what was the last code that was thrown.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't notice any leaks, as for exhaust leaks, I have no idea. Should I get the cat tested? I don't have any CEL's on but I was thinking of getting it scanned to find out what the last couple trouble codes were. It can't be the primary o2, just replaced that a month ago. Replaced the gaskets on the exhaust already. The header is stock and I don't believe there are any cracks, not 100% sure though. Would trying to put some special cleaner in the tank help this smell go away? Maybe there is some build up in the cat, I've searched on the internet and I guess there could be a ton of things wrong, like leaky fuel injectors, faulty air control valve, a/f sensor. Thinking of getting the cat tested, how much should this cost?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just some background info, the car has been in a few accidents before I got it, no frame damage but all repairs done by the insurance company when my brother owned it and there is now approximately 95,000 miles on the car. Are OBD II scanners able to test all sensors in the car?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It just smells like something that I shouldn't be inhaling, it must be coming through the vents, I can even smell it with the window open, so It's probaby somewhere in the front part of the car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've only been using 91 octane gas at Chevron, Shell, Mobil or 76. I assume those places have top tier gas I think. Thinking of putting in some fuel injector cleaner or gas treatment, not sure if that will do much. I've already had fuel injector service a few months ago so that's all good.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts