Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at CA Speedway this past weekend for NASA's HyperFest/Honda Challenge. RoJa's RJ DeVera showed up with his "track prepared" (yea, right - just bolt ons) RSX. He was slowest in the Saturday qualifying session, even slower than stock B16 civics and crx's. Come Sunday morning, NASA banned him from the race group and put him with the HPDE group due to his lack of skill and experience!! :laughing: Just proves than you cannot buy skill. He had his whole enclosed trailer, tow rig, and crew with him. How embarrassing is that?! haha Drag racin aint real racin buddy!! ;)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
That's not entirely true. His cage wasn't legal and was cause for DQ. Yes, he wasn't as fast - but did you know that his suspension wasn't set up properly? We adjusted his alignment and went 7 seconds faster just from a simple camber and toe adjustment.

RJ is very humble and well grounded. The first thing he said was - "We're new to road racing and have a lot to learn..."

Give him time - he will only get better as he definitely has the resources and determination to succeed.

-Ron

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
whatever happened to that rsx drag car he was making

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my bud Sandor Bota built that drag RSX for RJ. from what Sandor told me, the drag car is now more or less a show car...not been on the drag circuit yet. Sandor races in Honda Challenge, but unfortunately we had a little bad luck both days last weekend. blew up an oil cap Sat and retired early on Sun too with a dead alternator. i know if RJ continues his road racing endeavors, he will improve, but to be at the top you have to have talent. this remains to be seen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
F1HONDA_RACING said:
I was at CA Speedway this past weekend for NASA's HyperFest/Honda Challenge. RoJa's RJ DeVera showed up with his "track prepared" (yea, right - just bolt ons) RSX. He was slowest in the Saturday qualifying session, even slower than stock B16 civics and crx's. Come Sunday morning, NASA banned him from the race group and put him with the HPDE group due to his lack of skill and experience!! :laughing: Just proves than you cannot buy skill. He had his whole enclosed trailer, tow rig, and crew with him. How embarrassing is that?! haha Drag racin aint real racin buddy!! ;)
Don't be a hater! If you know RJ, you know he is a very friendly and humble guy. Its easy to dislike someone who seems to have it all but for as long as I have known him, he is one of the hardest working people in the import industry, he maybe sponsered a lot but don't think sponsership is getting stuff for free. He works hard for the shiney car, the rig, etc.

RJ was not banned for being slow or dangerous. On the track I found him to be cautious and careful, not an issue with me. He handled some hariy situations fine and did not panic. He was banned for having an inproperly built roll cage, not his fault.

RJ would be the first to tell you that he is a raw beginer, doesnt know a lot about driving or car set up and he is out to learn. He listened and took lots of notes this weekend. His times improved over the weekend considerably and I am sure he will continue to get better with practice and a little setup help with his suspension.

We all have to start somewhere and most of us suck when we start. Give RJ some credit, he went out knowing that all eyes would be on him, and that he probably would not do too well. That took some guts in intself.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:laughing: yea he's a cool guy, i'm not hating him. maybe the word around the paddock wasn't all true then. you're asking to be made fun of if you show up w/ bling and got no zing. shoestring racers are just the opposite.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
ive just never met anyone from art n motion i liked
of course the first one i met was lieberman and everyone knows hes a dick.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zeroryde said:
from what I hear you don't really need a racign license to drag race... right?
you need a license to road race. the fact that you don't need one to drag tells you something right there. why would you need a license to learn how to hold the steering wheel straight?? :laughing:

sarcasm aside, NHRA events must require a license...i'm not certain, I just assume. they wouldn't let some deep pockets fool who's never been in a funny car run against John Force just out of the blue.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
of coures you dont haveto be good to get a license
just haveto meet the minimum requirements

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to mention that RJ was fresh out of the Mid-Ohio racing school where the car of choice to teach students road racing is....(drum roll please)....the RSX! I'm really surprised he didn't perform better. Time will tell.

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
I have been friends with him for a long time and he is a nice guy. He is honestly trying to improve the performance side of the RSX just like all of us. He doesn't know much about the race world. He could not get the money put-together to run the drag RSX but road racing is cheaper, thus he is trying that route.

Just to let you know, you do have to get a license to drag race. You have to do quite a bit to show that you can handle a fast car, plus you have to get the approval of two other drivers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
F1HONDA_RACING said:
you need a license to road race. the fact that you don't need one to drag tells you something right there. why would you need a license to learn how to hold the steering wheel straight?? :laughing:

sarcasm aside, NHRA events must require a license...i'm not certain, I just assume. they wouldn't let some deep pockets fool who's never been in a funny car run against John Force just out of the blue.
I belive that once you get into the 9's then you have to get a NHRA license.

Drag racing is not easy. Have any of you driven a 500+ hp car down the quarter? Its pretty scary, its hard to do right and its a rush. I have road raced with a little sucess before and I still get scared in a really poweful drag car. This is without havingfirst hand experiance in what a real fast 800-1000 hp modern quick class car is like. My experiance stops at 600 hp and even thats scary.

Too bad you have to wait around all day the first day to make 3 10 second or less qualifying runs, then the next day make 4-5 runs if you go all the way. Not much track time for all the effort.

Don't dis real drag racers until you try it.

Bomb

·
Registered
15 Posts
F1HONDA_RACING said:
Not to mention that RJ was fresh out of the Mid-Ohio racing school where the car of choice to teach students road racing is....(drum roll please)....the RSX! I'm really surprised he didn't perform better. Time will tell.
Real racing is very different from the school or HDPE/Time trial environment. The driving situations are very dynamic and always changing. How good you race depends a lot upon how you react to things they didnt teach you in drving school. Like in a race, you often don't drive the racing line you learned in school. You are often trying to attack or defend your position and drive differently accodingly. People can lose control right in front of you or even right next to you. You have to react and respond correctly if you want to come home undented. Even if you lose control, what you do as you spin can affect the outcome of your incident, you can come out out alright or f-ed up depending on how you react under pressure.

They don't really teach this stuff, you gotta just sorta pick it up and it takes a while for most people although some gifted people are naturals at it.

I think RJ did ok. I was in a pack of cars about to pass him when he was bumped hard and forced off the track by the car in front of me. RJ didnt panic like many beginners, he held the gas down, let the car gather itself up and slowly worked it back onto the track without causing a big pile up or even slowing us overtaking cars down at all. He handled this situation just like an experianced racer would. Although he was not fast, he smoothly drove the line so it was easy to get by him cleanly. These are all the signs of a good beginner driver. I am not scared around RJ but a lot of beginners scare me and I give them a wide berth.

His car set up was so far off, it will be easy for him to be much faster as time goes on. Whats weird if you or I went out and was slow the first time, no one would care.

The Sport of road racing needs guys like RJ with a big name to help promote it. I hope more of the stars of the import world come over from drag racing to help boost our sport. Although Road racing is big with the traditional motorsports crowd, it is an unknown to your average import fan.

Bomb

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.