Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the most cost effective way to weld or bolt in a 8 point cage? Buy the steel? Order a pre-fab? Looking to throw a cage in over the winter, because I plan on running low 10's next year, and I don't want to get kicked out of the strip...

Thanks in advance,
-Miguel

·
147,271 Posts
I would assume pre-fab so you can get something that's certified to whatever safety regulations tracks have. Then again, if money is no option (doubt there's a HUGE difference anyway) at least get a quote for a custom job that meets requirements.

·
Shazaam
4,596 Posts
What would be the most cost effective way to weld or bolt in a 8 point cage? Buy the steel? Order a pre-fab? Looking to throw a cage in over the winter, because I plan on running low 10's next year, and I don't want to get kicked out of the strip...

Thanks in advance,
-Miguel
Custom built. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe the Cusco or Autopower bars are NHRA legal. Take it to a fab shop and have them build one to the specs for the class you are running in.

·
Banned
31,134 Posts
I do not believe "bolt in" cages are NHRA legal. IIRC, they must be welded to the car. With that being said, i would rather go with a custom chromolly cage.

·
PPG Krew
5,478 Posts
Bolt in cage won't pass tech. Depends on what kinda track you're at...Juan didn't they let you run the Mustang without a cage? Depending on the times you run the cage itself also has to be certified by an NHRA inspector and there is a laundry list of measurements and quality control pieces they look at. Weld quality, wall thickness on the tubing, they check ur plate dimensions where the cage tubing welds to the unibody, they take measurements from ur helmet with you sitting in the car...etc.

·
Banned
31,134 Posts
Bolt in cage won't pass tech. Depends on what kinda track you're at...Juan didn't they let you run the Mustang without a cage? Depending on the times you run the cage itself also has to be certified by an NHRA inspector and there is a laundry list of measurements and quality control pieces they look at. Weld quality, wall thickness on the tubing, they check ur plate dimensions where the cage tubing welds to the unibody, they take measurements from ur helmet with you sitting in the car...etc.
Yes, i went mid 9s without a cage... but i knew before hand that at this particular track they're very lenient with newer cars. They still didn't give be the boot after going mid 9s lol.

They are not as lenient with fox bodies. Any of the other tracks around here within a 2hr range would have kicked me out. I went there for a reason lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What would be the most cost effective way to weld or bolt in a 8 point cage? Buy the steel? Order a pre-fab?
It is by far the cheapest to build your own cage. The raw cost of the steel is only $200-300. But you need to own all the fab tools. And have the time and skills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts