Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I shave my dome and face. I have pretty thick hair, been using the cheap cartridge razors and shave gel since I was 14.
i will say that a cartridge razor is faster. you can do the face and dome in less than 5 minutes. but they they keep bullshiting, 2 blades, 3, then 4, then 5, then 5 with a battery. hell it's 6 if you count that trimming blade. too fucking expensive.

with the DE, it takes a bit more time and you have to learn the technique. but i've noticed that my skin doesn't feel like it got ass raped any more. also, as the beard grow back, it's more uniform, so it looks better as it comes back in.

DE for life.

·
some guy
51,131 Posts
need to find a tube shave cream. i don't want to have brush, i don't think i need that, and i want to have a lightweight shaving kit. razor, blades, and shave cream.
you can try proraso, i never used it but people like it, if you decide to use a brush, taylor of old bond street is a good shaving cream. (i like sandalwood).

<- uses muhle r41(2013) with gillette 7'0clock black

·
DDS
7,164 Posts
i use an electric trimmer about once a week. Let it grow out, trim the beard area, use a close electric for neck and mustache area.

Neck used to break out after using close electric, alcohol post-shaving helped but stung. Neck doesn't break out anymore now though.

·
Lick it or Flick it
5,263 Posts
what about balls shaving, it this the thread for that too?
This. Cant nic your sack with a 5 blader. Plus I rock a beard year around and ever since I could grow one. No hipster pretty boy beard or duck dynasty cave man shit but I run a trimmer through it on a 7 every sunday and shave the edges/upper cheeks, since my shit grows all the way up to my eye balls :chuck:

·
Super Moderator
430,510 Posts
i barely shave, we asian just don't have facial hair like that to do so often. i just use a regular gillette fusion proglide and that has taken care of me just fine. the flex ball one might be what i'll go for next once this breaks or something

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
word. i have the merkur 34c as well as a merkur long handle. i have been using the feather blades too. nice and sharp, but i find they do require more lubrication to keep from getting nicked.

for shave gel, i have just been using the edge gel, because i have shit tons of it right now. before shaving, i work some nexus humectress conditioner into my face and dome, then i follow it with the edge gel. works pretty well.

i'm trying to decide if i like the long handle razor or not. it's a bit easier to get an angle, but it's not heavy like the shorter handled one, so it takes a little bit of pressure to get a cut.
I will tell you from my experience that the brush itself and a shave cream/soap that works well with it makes as much difference as the razor itself. The brush actually raises and prepares the hairs for death and reduces the effort of the stroke a lot.

A good badger hair brush is the key really, I am sure standard shave gels are fine for most but I have sensitive skin that reacts poorly with a lot of the chemicals in standard products so I use a lanolin based soap and my skin thanks me for it!

·
Running from the Blerch
16,484 Posts
DE here, have used for it like at least 4 years now. Merkur 180 (long handle).
Feather blades are the absolute best. I've used plenty of others but nothing does the job quite like Feather.

Have a badger hair brush and really liked using Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream but lately have cheap-ed out and been using standard shave gels since I'm shaving 3-4 times a week. Just end up going through the expensive stuff too fast.

You get a great shave with DE and never have to pay those outrageous blade prices ever again.

How often are you guys changing blades on the DEs? I normally try to get a week out of a blade so at least 3 shaves.

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
just bought a merkur 38c. that's the longer handled version of the 34c and it's heavy as hell. i had a cheaper long handle merkur, but it was so light, i didn't like it.

tried the wilkinson sword blades earlier this week, did not like them at all. going back to feather.

i change them about every other shave (includes face and dome).

·
Hot Avy crew #4
7,739 Posts
I us a safety razor and a badger hair brush.

Razor is a rose gold Muhle

Currently using Taylor of old bond street pre shave oil shaving cream

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
^^^ That is a baller ass razor!

I get a month out of a blade because I only shave once a week. Honestly bitches like the scruffy/homeless look better on me I just don't want to look bush league and I really use the safety razors and good soaps because they are easier on my skin, don't get nearly as much razor burn if any.

·
Running from the Blerch
16,484 Posts
Rose gold razor. High roller.

I used to shave once a week but decided the clean shaven look was better for career progress. 3x a week is easy enough to deal with. Doubt I could do every day though.

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
i'm usually shaving every 2 to 3 days. sometimes i go longer just cause i don't get too it, but there's that 'itch' point on the dome and when that hits, the scruff has to go. heh.

used the proraso blue yesterday for the first time. good stuff.

·
Hot Avy crew #4
7,739 Posts
^^^ That is a baller ass razor!

I get a month out of a blade because I only shave once a week. Honestly bitches like the scruffy/homeless look better on me I just don't want to look bush league and I really use the safety razors and good soaps because they are easier on my skin, don't get nearly as much razor burn if any.
Thanks,

i shave a couple of times a week. It takes me like 10min to shave so i dont feel like doing it every day.

Look around amazon, they have great prices on razors.

·
Hot Avy crew #4
7,739 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation on pre shave oil or cream?

Im using an oil (taylor of old bond street)and its kinds sticky so to speak

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
i use an electric trimmer about once a week. Let it grow out, trim the beard area, use a close electric for neck and mustache area.

Neck used to break out after using close electric, alcohol post-shaving helped but stung. Neck doesn't break out anymore now though.
I also use an electric. My face does perfectly fine with it...so well that I've never seen the need to go through all the expense and time of using a safety razor or even the carts.

My neck, however, is a different story. I tend to get razor burn from cart razors, and even break out some with the electric. 'Tis quite uncomfortable. I also get ingrown hairs on my neck pretty bad.

So you're saying that using alcohol post-shave helped prevent rashing? Any particular type of alcohol for aftershave use, or just straight IPA?

My brother swears by DE and all the stuff. Takes him like 30 minutes to shave, but he swears by it. He pretty much has to because of really bad acne issues, so every little bit of pampering helps him. But I don't have any skin issues outside of my neck rashing up and the ingrown hairs.

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
i used an electric razor at a couple of different points. i had a remington, and later a braun. the braun was superior to the remington. it worked pretty well, so i honestly can't remember why i stopped using it, and decided to go back to blades.

well whatever, i'm all about the DE now.

·
DDS
7,164 Posts
I also use an electric. My face does perfectly fine with it...so well that I've never seen the need to go through all the expense and time of using a safety razor or even the carts.

My neck, however, is a different story. I tend to get razor burn from cart razors, and even break out some with the electric. 'Tis quite uncomfortable. I also get ingrown hairs on my neck pretty bad.

So you're saying that using alcohol post-shave helped prevent rashing? Any particular type of alcohol for aftershave use, or just straight IPA?

My brother swears by DE and all the stuff. Takes him like 30 minutes to shave, but he swears by it. He pretty much has to because of really bad acne issues, so every little bit of pampering helps him. But I don't have any skin issues outside of my neck rashing up and the ingrown hairs.
Yeah my brother in law told me about it, it used to work for him. Just rub some rubbing alcohol in your hands and pat/rub your neck right after you shave. It'll sting for a sec but not too bad. Worked for me. I no longer need to do it though, not sure why.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts