Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Definitely baller status. Show us how the plates differ once you get them
the att razor set arrived today. so ronizzle jumped right in the shower to get the face and dome hydrated so he could try it out. wooot. i'll be writing a bit of a novel here, so if you just want to hear about the ATT razor, skip down to where i've marked 'Enter ATT'.

i bought the atlas set, which comes standard with the m1, h1, and r1 plates, going up in 'aggressiveness' respectively. the 'atlas' handle is the shorter of the two that ATT offers, and is just a touch longer than a merkur 34c handle. the razor handle is loaded with a the m1 plate out of box, but i swapped that bitch straight to the most aggressive r1 plate right away. i'll come back to that in a second, a little background first.

since i started shaving with DE razors, i went with the merkur 34c, and the merkur blades that came with the razor. i found those blades lacking, so with a little research, i jumped up the feather blades, and was much happier with the performance of the 34c. however, it was still lacking something.

cartridge razors have longer handles than most of the DE models out there, so i thought it would be worth a shot to get a longer handled razor. i picked up a merkur 38c. i noticed the extra heft and fell in love it right away. shaving the face with the feather blades in the 38c was still talking a bit longer than i wanted, but it was better than with the 34c. shaving the dome was another matter. although the longer handle of the 38c made it easier for me to shave my face, it became a disadvantage on the dome. on the back of the head around the crown, i had to fight the 38c's long handle a bit.

and both razors were just taking too fucking long to shave with.

i did more research, and i discovered that the merkur 34c and 38c are considered 'milder' razors, and while this is good for people who have problems with irritation and nicks, but i generally do not. i also don't want to make a 3 to 5 pass shave. i just don't want to spend that kind of time. with either the 34c or the 38c, i'd spend 30 to 35 minutes shaving face and dome, then i'd have to spend another 10 minutes going back over clean up areas such as the jaw line, adams apple, curves on the dome.

Enter ATT.

i thought about getting an adjustable razor like the merkur futur, but then i ran across ATT. their shit is stainless steel, built like a tank, and you can try it out for 30 days, and send back shit you don't like to trade out for something you do like.

here comes the atlas set.

so, picking up where we left off, i swapped right to the most aggressive plate, and loaded a brand new feather blade in the motherfucker. i picked up my 34c, and i noticed the difference in weight right away. the ATT razor has the weight of the merkur 38c (long handle) but is in a package with a handle just a bit longer than the 34c short handle. the barber pole knurling is deep, but not too crazy, so it doesn't bite into the hand, but it will channel away the water and soap so you can keep to the business of the moment.

the next thing i noticed vs the 34c, is how much more blade surface is available. now were talking. i want to cut something, give me some blade. heh.

i used proraso blue tube shave cream, on a semogue boar hair brush and lathered up. i hefted the atlas in my right hand and positioned it to cut in at the right side burn. i lowered my elbow to start the pass and the razor just fucking sang sweet music as it carved off my beard. i nearly shot a 5 roper on my bathroom mirror. this razor not only cuts like a mofo, but sings while it does so. you know exactly what's going on. my normal 3 pass shave plus clean up with the 34c turned into a 1.5 pass with a bit of clean up.

no nicks or cuts, but i did notice i was 'feeling' the blade more. i won't go so far as to call it irritation, but i see there's a small learning curve here. i will need to be sure the razor is doing the work razor than adding some pressure like i had to do with the 34c.

rinsed off the face and now on to the dome.

loaded up the brush again and lathered the dome. set the ATT angle right above the right ear, and pushed the razor to the back of my head. again, angels were singing as it zipped through the stubble. moved the razor up the side of the head, just below the skull curve and took a pass at a right angle to the growth. singing razor ensued, side of dome = bbs. holy shit, this is amazing.

then i got a little stupid.....i did an against the grain pass on the right side of the dome, going up from the ear, and up over the curve to the top of the head. everything was fine till i rounded the curve, and lost the angle. the weight of the atlas dug in like a stubborn mule, and the feather blade did exactly what it is designed to do....cut the fuck out my dome. heh. but that's why we have 'nick stick'.

finished up the rest of the dome shave with no issues.

conclusion:

the ATT razor is fucking awesome. if you are looking for a quality stainless steel DE, this is the way to go. you don't have to drop $299 on a full set, if you already know what you like in terms of mild/medium/aggressive, then just buy the plate that matches what you need, and the either the atlas (shorter) or colossus (longer) handle that suits.

for me, the aggressive plate gets the job done. i might drop to the middle plate next time i shave the dome, just to be safe until i learn the razor, but other than that, money well spent.

·
Hot Avy crew #4
7,739 Posts
Nice review.

I usually take two passes, one with the grain and then the second against the grain.

What do you do? 1.5 passes so do you just touch up where you need to?

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Nice review.

I usually take two passes, one with the grain and then the second against the grain.

What do you do? 1.5 passes so do you just touch up where you need to?
yeah, the 1.5 pass = get it all with the first lather, clean up as needed. cleanups are usually around the jawline and some spots on the neck. on the dome it's usually at the crown.

i find if i'm careful, i can do the first pass 90% against the grain, so i don't typically need that second or third shot.

·
Premium Member
44,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
update:

second shave with the ATT today. i normally load a new blade each shave, but i was in a bit of hurry, so i kept the same feather blade i used last time. i used the aggressive 'r1' plate on my face, and made short work of the beard. for the dome, i thought i'd try the 'h1' plate, because it should be less agressive, and given how i nicked that chunk out of my head last time, i wanted to take it a bit easy. i think that turned out to be the smart move. i had not showered prior to doing this shave, i just rubbed warm water in to my beard and on my dome for a few minutes to prep. so, even though the feather blade was cutting well, i could feel it wanting to catch and bog down in some spots. using the less aggressive h1 plate on the dome seemed to be more forgiving. it's still more aggressive than the merkur 34c, but forgiving enough that i got out of dodge with no nicks.

next time, i'll go back to loading a fresh blade for each shave. the blades are so cheap, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bump. Does anybody have any experience with beard straighteners? My friend suggested me to get one of these tools and said this would help not only keep it straight but also have a cleaner maintained look. Any thoughts?

61 - 65 of 65 Posts