Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have an 03 rsx S but the engine is swapped from a k20a2 with a k24a2 from a tsx. They're both vtec and they both seem to kick in at around 6000 rpms. However my gauge says I redline at 8000, since the engine is swapped, would I still redline at 8000?

·
0 Posts
Hey guys. I have an 03 rsx S but the engine is swapped from a k20a2 with a k24a2 from a tsx. They're both vtec and they both seem to kick in at around 6000 rpms. However my gauge says I redline at 8000, since the engine is swapped, would I still redline at 8000?
Think about what you are asking. What is the TSX engine redline at? Wouldn't you want to use that, since you have a TSX engine.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Seriously?:dontknow: So if I put a VW diesel in an S2000 I can magically rev that diesel engine to 9000?

How about you redline the TSX engine where the TSX engine is supposed to redline?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In just making sure that although my gage says 8000 rpms it's really redlining it if I go up that high because the tsx limits to 7500

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No but I'd like to get one being that this is an annoying issue having a redline up to 8000 and only being about to go to like 7200-7500

·
Registered
298 Posts
Unless you reprint your gauge to the correct redline, your gauge will be wrong. It is by the engine. Obviously that gauge wasn't made for the tsx engine

·
Registered
298 Posts
You could always reprint the gauge. I've seen it done on other cars but due the the curved nature of the gauges on the RSX I don't know how it would be done

·
0 Posts
I'm aware of this. I really just wanted to know if there was a way to make it correct
Not with an RSX cluster.

Why is this a big deal to you? There are many of us who have been driving around RSX's with a K24 in it for years. Honestly, I have never once said to myself, "Man, what a bummer that my motor does not go up as fas as the top of the tachometer".

If I were you, I would just enjoy driving the car rather than worrying abut things which have nothing to do with anything in the real world.

·
DANGER ZONE!
72 Posts
It's nice that none of you actually answered the question, since it's pretty apparent this guy is brand new to the community. The engine redline is not controlled by the car's gauge cluster, but rather by the ECU. The actual physical redline (how fast the motor will spin before going supernova) is a combination of different factors based on engine characteristics like displacement, bore, stroke, construction, and lots of other things.

If you want to be able to hit that astronomic 8200+ redline, do some research on whats called a K24/K20 Frank, where you use the head off of the RSX on a K24 block. Do that, and you can get up there if that is what you want.

Also, I would be really surprised if you DON'T have KPro or some other engine management software installed. If I were you I would either check that out yourself or find a reputable tuner in your area and have your new ride checked out.

Good luck man :weeeeeeeeee:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! Someone that didn't criticize my question and actually answer it! That's exactly what I was looking for. And a lot if people have been telling me to get a head off of an k20 but I didn't know what it would do. So once again, than you for using assumptions with basic knowledge and understanding that I am new and only know a little about cars (hence why I joined the forum) and not criticizing and answering the question.

·
Michael Brown wannabe
2,983 Posts
Hmmmm no putting a k20 head on a k24 block doesn't magically allow the block to rev to 8200..... hell if you got a k24a2 there is no point on putting a k20 head on it....

Also your type s ecu let's the engine red line at 8200 or whatever they type s engine red lines at... tsx red line is 6800 or so you can go up to 7200 or so safely, keep redlining it like a type s and see how long your engine lasts.

·
Michael Brown wannabe
2,983 Posts
Hmmm valid point, I meant it more as the need to put a vtec head on the other k24 blocks, a stock k24a2 doesn't necessarily need a k20 head, if some one plans on franking an engine might as well pick up a cheaper k24 and slap the head on there

·
Super Moderator
259,405 Posts
You're right.

OP, a head swap will do nothing to help your redline. The weak link of the K24's is the rod bolts and the rod/stroke ratio. They aren't meant to be buried past 8000 RPM like the K20.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts