Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time posting here since I recently purchased a RSX 2003 Base with 130k miles! Everything is running smoothly and overall inspection came out good, but after reading about issues regarding camshaft pitting/galling, I've been losing some sleep over it. I know that it affects 03 base, but what's the chance my specific car is affected? Any specific VIN number, etc to find out? I plan to check the valves sometime, but I don't have immediate access to a garage I can work in (my parking is outside). Thank you in advance for any info regarding this!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello, first time posting here since I recently purchased a RSX 2003 Base with 130k miles! Everything is running smoothly and overall inspection came out good, but after reading about issues regarding camshaft pitting/galling, I've been losing some sleep over it. I know that it affects 03 base, but what's the chance my specific car is affected? Any specific VIN number, etc to find out? I plan to check the valves sometime, but I don't have immediate access to a garage I can work in (my parking is outside). Thank you in advance for any info regarding this!
I cant confirm the base model. But if it concerns you...I have just pulled 03 Type S valvetrain w/ 110k. Good cams,springs.retainers and seats. Had some bent valves so no-go on that. This is drop in! P.M me and we can talk. Would be a nice EZ start on some performance for you and I'd love to pass it on to a new enthusiast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant confirm the base model. But if it concerns you...I have just pulled 03 Type S valvetrain w/ 110k. Good cams,springs.retainers and seats. Had some bent valves so no-go on that. This is drop in! P.M me and we can talk. Would be a nice EZ start on some performance for you and I'd love to pass it on to a new enthusiast.
Thank you for the reply! Although I plan to keep the stock set up quite strictly, and I believe the camshaft issues is limited to the K20A3 engines of 03.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thank you for the reply! Although I plan to keep the stock set up quite strictly, and I believe the camshaft issues is limited to the K20A3 engines of 03.
Pretty sure it's not limited to just the 03 models. Damage to the valvetrain is more often caused by infrequent oil changes, using the wrong oil/cheap oil, out of spec valve lash etc. It could be isolated to the A3 because Honda recommends a 20 weight oil rather than a 30 weight like most vehicles. Mine didn't look bad at 115k, but I also use Amsoil.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Pretty sure it's not limited to just the 03 models. Damage to the valvetrain is more often caused by infrequent oil changes, using the wrong oil/cheap oil, out of spec valve lash etc. It could be isolated to the A3 because Honda recommends a 20 weight oil rather than a 30 weight like most vehicles. Mine didn't look bad at 115k, but I also use Amsoil.
Mine doesn't either. I locked it up as to no fault routine maintenance. Would you agree he's due for a timing chain/tensioner? I would! at that time the cams should be inspected and Valve train adjusted.He sounds like another person that LOVES his RSX? Just got it and doesn't want anything to go wrong? P.S Theres a heating issue in another thread you might be able to help with? Never figured out why you wait for me to say ANYTHING wrong before you jump in. Thank You mfarmakas17.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Mine doesn't either. I locked it up as to no fault routine maintenance. Would you agree he's due for a timing chain/tensioner? I would! at that time the cams should be inspected and Valve train adjusted.He sounds like another person that LOVES his RSX? Just got it and doesn't want anything to go wrong? P.S Theres a heating issue in another thread you might be able to help with? Never figured out why you wait for me to say ANYTHING wrong before you jump in. Thank You mfarmakas17.
I have never read about an A2 or Z1 with this same problem, which leads me back to the weight of the oil possibly being the culprit. Other non vtec K series motors have the same issue, not sure what oil they use though.

HIs chain and tensioner should be inspected along with the valvetrain, but I wouldn't say replace it unless necessary. Personally, I'd wait until I hear chain slap. Speaking of, I never bothered inspecting my tensioner and I just hit 134k with no problems 🤷‍♂️ didn't notice any obvious stretch when I had the valve cover off, so I said fuck it.

I don't deliberately wait for you to say something, I just typically read old threads more often than recent ones lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have never read about an A2 or Z1 with this same problem, which leads me back to the weight of the oil possibly being the culprit. Other non vtec K series motors have the same issue, not sure what oil they use though.

HIs chain and tensioner should be inspected along with the valvetrain, but I wouldn't say replace it unless necessary. Personally, I'd wait until I hear chain slap. Speaking of, I never bothered inspecting my tensioner and I just hit 134k with no problems 🤷‍♂️ didn't notice any obvious stretch when I had the valve cover off, so I said fuck it.

I don't deliberately wait for you to say something, I just typically read old threads more often than recent ones lol.
Been doing that a lot myself as to my currant re-build and gathering info. Prefer to learn from others mistakes or what works as to throw a dart. Really dude I'm interested in selling EVERYTHING that is perfectly good with my former V/T I'd appreciate a lil' help here? He needs my cams and springs to give him a piece of mind. I want him to sleep at night, don't you? Some people seem to think that chains don't break. They do and the damage is not pretty.
Up top by the cams is the shortest stretch, By Far. The way the guides are set up waiting that long might come up short as to replacement. The only thing I wanna slap right now is you? J/K! He needs my parts and you know it....lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, my car doesn't make any noticeably odd noise right now (other than the dash rattling, which seems common and not worried about). Although after seeing this post(Defected Engine... *Need Help*) and similar posts in numerous other forums, I started getting paranoid about it.

And yes, I'm definitely one of those new owners who loves his RSX and doesn't want anything to go wrong with it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
So, my car doesn't make any noticeably odd noise right now (other than the dash rattling, which seems common and not worried about). Although after seeing this post(Defected Engine... Need Help) and similar posts in numerous other forums, I started getting paranoid about it.

And yes, I'm definitely one of those new owners who loves his RSX and doesn't want anything to go wrong with it!
OK calm down were all here for you. I love mine too for the over ten yrs I've had it I also had an 94 and 92 Integra GS. I haven't read about a whole lot of dash rattles. Mine never has so I haven't looked it up either. What I do know and what is common on ALL cars is the heatshields above the CAT ( on the body ) and the one on the Exhaust manifold. Under the car, yet "under" your dash are common.
You said the car checks out and is running good. Get rid of the rattle it's EZ. You say you don't care but you do. RSX's are known for valve cover leaks. Pull the cover look for build up of sludge and signs of "lack-o-oil-changes" A bit of varnish is fine. LOOK at the cam's for pitting there's plenty of pix out there on this. You might as well check your valve adjustment as this is a constant now and again on these. Look it up and don't put a wrench on it unless you have too.
That should keep you busy. For 20 bucks and piece of mind putting on a new v/c gasket won't lose you any respect here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, bigwheel. As far as the dash rattle is concerned, that is actually interior and from the dash because I can quiet it by putting my hand on it. My previous car(Focus SVT) had a broken exhaust shield rattle which I am familiar with:)

I definitely will check out the v/c soon, since I see some seepage of oil there. It'll answer my question regarding the camshaft question I had earlier. I'll order the gasket before I do that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thank you, bigwheel. As far as the dash rattle is concerned, that is actually interior and from the dash because I can quiet it by putting my hand on it. My previous car(Focus SVT) had a broken exhaust shield rattle which I am familiar with:)

I definitely will check out the v/c soon, since I see some seepage of oil there. It'll answer my question regarding the camshaft question I had earlier. I'll order the gasket before I do that.
Het alright! So here we are on a path to what we do not know....Let us be positive, weed helps me with that! Still I'd fix the dash, driving with one hand is not safe unless your drinking a beer? LOL Fix the dash. Get a Felpro gasket. Little silly cone on the cam corners and that will curb some concern and I will read that thread. Still....how often will you run across some type S cams with ALL the hardware? EVERYTHING but valves. I'm only rebuilding mine out of necessity.
My bad for driving through a puddle that was more like a river. P.M for pix and details as long as you have that V.C off it's really just a few more bolts to drop it all in....Please keep me posted as to your progress. I was the same as you as to my feelings about my rides and preventative maintenance is a good thing. Especially since you just got it. I'd flush and fill EVERYTHING using genuine Honda fluids. That way you know. Mine burns through P.S fluid as it does dissipate every other just gets dirty if you let it! PEACE

·
Registered
849 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Give this a try. Didn't get rid of all of the rattles, but definitely helped.
Good morning. The fact that you have NEVER helped me with anything even though I've asked and otherwise tried to bait you. It's become a compliment! NOW...The whole frt of my engine and the head are removed...I've put a clutch in it. I THINK I can pull the starter that's staring RIGHT AT ME and a couple other odds-n-ends and pull the short block out? DO YOU think I can....Deep down I kinda like you, no not like that.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Good morning. The fact that you have NEVER helped me with anything even though I've asked and otherwise tried to bait you. It's become a compliment! NOW...The whole frt of my engine and the head are removed...I've put a clutch in it. I THINK I can pull the starter that's staring RIGHT AT ME and a couple other odds-n-ends and pull the short block out? DO YOU think I can....Deep down I kinda like you, no not like that.
There's three different ways I can approach your requests.
A - I can throw in my two cents, and give you totally inaccurate information because I'm not sure on the subject.
B - I can do the research myself and provide you with the info.
C - I can advise you to search.

Typically though, I'm not sure what you're saying because you kind of ramble and your punctuation isn't the best. Also, I'm generally pretty baked when I see your posts.

As for your current question, fuck man idk. Starter should come out, but I've never pulled a motor from our cars. Look for a damn thread, I know there's an engine removal diy somewhere lol

·
Boosted K20A3
69 Posts
For reference, here’s what I saw when I opened up my A3 head (2003 RSX). 160k miles on it with fairly regular oil changes. I didn’t hear or feel anything unusual while driving with this, and it’s not why I rebuilt my engine.

One time (near the engine’s demise) my filter came loose and lost a lot of oil. I don’t think the limp to a nearby parking lot caused this, but it definitely didn’t help. I never saw any TSBs for it, so all of the heat treat issues, oil weight, etc. theories are strictly speculation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What's good about the Felpro gasket? Does it work better/last longer than the original one?

That camshaft looks pretty bad... is that the exhaust side? Why did you rebuild the engine?

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's three different ways I can approach your requests.
A - I can throw in my two cents, and give you totally inaccurate information because I'm not sure on the subject.
B - I can do the research myself and provide you with the info.
C - I can advise you to search.

Typically though, I'm not sure what you're saying because you kind of ramble and your punctuation isn't the best. Also, I'm generally pretty baked when I see your posts.

As for your current question, fuck man idk. Starter should come out, but I've never pulled a motor from our cars. Look for a damn thread, I know there's an engine removal diy somewhere lol
A: Right that you would not answer
B; I do research. Maybe your better at than I am? It would seem everybody pulls the tranny with it? After having my trany out in the past the mainshaft seems short enough and I seem to have enough removed up frt. to slide it over up and out? IDK somebody has to have tried it and I wouldn't thimk to be the first?
C: covered in B. I ramble and my punctuation sux! I use . " " ! and commas. You ever consider I to might be lit ??? LOL On technical questions I try to have my faculties about me, when it comes to dumb shit yeah, lets have some fun? Next yer gonna tell me I have a lousy vocabulary. LOL Fine search it for me and I'll quit making "farm" jokes about you and livestock...

·
Registered
154 Posts
What's good about the Felpro gasket? Does it work better/last longer than the original one?

That camshaft looks pretty bad... is that the exhaust side? Why did you rebuild the engine?
Felpro is a good quality gasket and ready to get, cost's less. I'll let claymiester answer that! I have seen him post and wondered if he's into pottery though?:confused:

·
Boosted K20A3
69 Posts

Rebuild was because I lost all oil pressure, and yes that's the exhaust cam. 99% sure the culprit was the pump since I noticed some scarring, etc. on the internal components. But I fully built it for my turbo setup instead of just replacing the oil pump. Using the Brian Crower Stage 2 A3 cams now.

Felpro is a good quality gasket and ready to get, cost's less. I'll let claymiester answer that! I have seen him post and wondered if he's into pottery though?:confused:
Pottery??? My name is Clay, and back in pre-2003 some of my friends used to periodically call me claymiester. Guessing that's your question about pottery?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts