Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after smoke came out all the vents AC stopped working within 5 mins. Eventually get around to trying to charge the car, says its over charged, took longer than normal to release air before eventually building back into the red before successful Freon intake, any ideas? I was told maybe AC oil?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Depends, most of the A/C refill cans you see in stores include the oil.

As I found out with my car, the correct approach is to completely discharge the system and then refill with the exact volume specified by Honda/Acura. If your system is over charged it may prevent the A/C compressor from engaging which means no A/C.

That being said, this is one instance where I recommend taking it somewhere that can safely discharge the system and refill it with the correct type & volume of refrigerant. If you think there's a leak, probably should have that diagnosed and fixed. I suggest that because in my case I still had an issue in that my A/C compressor clutch was on its way out resulting in intermittent A/C operation and some leakage from the aged connections. Replaced the compressor with a reconditioned from NAPA and the dryer the first go around and the high/low pressure lines the second time and everything has been working ever since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.