Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is at 186,000 miles. I change the oil every 3,000-4,000 miles and also changed the transmission fluid @177,00 miles(not the first time)shocks have been replaced rotors and brakes. I want my car to last as long as possible. Does anybody know how much they charge at the Honda/Acura dealer to do a full inspection to know what needs to be replaced or fixed?

· Premium Member
470,898 Posts
I responded to another thread in this section, anyway same thing so I'll just copy paste for you what I posted

well if you are at 150k or so, i say you check these out and do them. of course if you already did, don't do so again...

-Coolant Flush
-Oil Change
-Tranny fluid change
-Air filter
-Air cabin filter
-Spark Plugs
-Lube hinges and latches
-Inspect brake hoses
-Bleed brakefluid and replace with new Heavy Duty Dot3
-Inspect all fluid levels (Brake, Clutch, Power Steering, Coolant Level)
-Check suspension bolts and tighten as necessary
-Inspect autotensioner and replace as necessary
-Inspect serpentine belt and replace as necessary
-Inspect CV joint boots and replace if cracked or worn
-Replace front and rear brake pads
-Silicon spray all door and trunk seals
-Inspect lightbulbs
-Valve adjustment
-Rotate and balance tires
-Recharge R134a refrigerant if your A/C is not blowing as cold as it used to be
-Adjust Parking Brake (if not fully engaged within 7-9 clicks)
-Replace Battery (it may be nearing the end of its useful life)
-Inspect and adjust idle RPM
-Replace water pump
-Replace starter (if you get that scratchy sound on cold startups)
-Replace Oxygen Sensor (even if its not giving you a check engine light, replacing it at your mileage will almost certainly give you better fuel economy)

did i mention motor mounts in there somewhere? i would take a look at them too to see if any needs replacing. also trunk and sunroof for leaks, i know the older rsx have troubles with the seal being bad or need changing.

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Aziank. Do you really need to replace the 02 sensor?

I responded to another thread in this section, anyway same thing so I'll just copy paste for you what I posted

· Registered
1,917 Posts
If you aren't having problems with the car then I wouldn't do anything to it other then regular maintenance. If it runs and drives well, don't worry about the miles. There are cars out there with 10k miles that are pieces of shit and ones that have 200k (like mine) that start up and run great every day.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
That's why it's called "preventative" maintenance. It's better to have it at least thoroughly inspected than to trust everything is still at 100% at 200,000 miles and more than a decade old. Aziank, thanks for that list. I'm in the same boat as the OP. As for the O2 sensor, he did say it's a good idea even if it's not throwing a code. A slightly contaminated sensor isn't going to read properly and therefore give your ECU incorrect information.

· Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know how much the dealer charges to have it inspected?

That's why it's called "preventative" maintenance. It's better to have it at least thoroughly inspected than to trust everything is still at 100% at 200,000 miles and more than a decade old. Aziank, thanks for that list. I'm in the same boat as the OP.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Most people that mod their car don't let themselves get cheated through labor costs. I've never taken a car in for anything other than exhaust welding, and only because I can't do it myself. I am thinking of the dealer taking care of some things this time though. I got a quote a long time ago for trans fluid, coolant, and brake fluid at a Honda dealer, and they wanted somewhere around $260 for all that. Not too bad, imo, I just need to get around to taking it in. I'd prefer they add the water pump and chain tensioner to that. I can do the rest without too much down time on my car.

The Acura 150 point inspection checklist:
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT...50pt.pdf/RK=0/RS=GeywCWkLuKUNUbAOuEFa6qP0YKU-

This person got two quotes for that with an enormous gap between them. $1000 & $1700! Considering you really only need the engine, trans, and chassis inspected, it should be considerably less.
http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/Virginia/Chantilly/PohankaAcura/fullservice-133720.html

· Registered
224 Posts
Any well-known brand on sale at parts stores will work. You need about 1.4 gallons of 50/50 antifreeze. You can buy antifreeze pre-blended with water or buy full strength and cut the ratio yourself but make sure you use distilled water – you can buy that at the grocery store. Distilled water is free of minerals that can react with the metals used in the cooling system or engine.

· Registered
3 Posts
My Acura baby is nearing 190k and seem to be driving fine. I’m not a big car person but have been taking care of my car for usual maintenance and such. Ever since moving to tx my commute is way further and putting a lot more miles into my car. I plan to run my car down till it’s last leg. Do you recommend just going to some mechanic to do the preventative maintenance or go to Acura dealer. I just don’t want to be paying an arm and leg if I go to the dealer vs local reputable Honda certified mechanic for the stuff listed above? I appreciate the feedback in advance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts