Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 2002 Type S (in Blue) this past weekend. My former autocross car- an STS Protege is under repairs after some bad shop work at a local tire shop. So I found this Type S and fell in love.
Now I'm researching buildin either a G Stock, or STS car and looking for some general tips to get pointed in the right direction.
Are there any brands of suspension parts that you guys highly recommend? With the Protege, the only stuff available was custom to high end, now the RSX has many options!

How about setup tips for alignment and tire pressures (unfortunately I just have the OEM tires now).

If you guys have any insight into what setups really make this car autocross well, that would be good too.

Initially, I was thinking GS would be good, but the cost of Hoosiers and DA Koni's (for the rear) kind of offsets the *extra* parts cost of a good STS build. What do you guys think?
I'm going to try it out bone stock (& on crappy tires) this weekend. :driving:

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If you go out on those stock tires, pump them at LEAST 10psi all the way around - depending on the ambient temp of course. In stock pressures they like to roll all over themselves.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The biggest problem with the suspension that your going to have is the lower the car the less travel in the front shock you are going to have so I would strongly suggest a coil-over or something of that type like a sleeve. If you do go with just a spring and shock/strut combo make sure that the springs don't lower the car too much. If you plan on running STS I would highly suggest a lower sway bay. I use the Progress sway with the tie bar and it really made the car rotate around itself alot better. As far as tire pressures are concerned your always going to want stiffer in the rear of course but there really is no set pressure as different course designs and road surfaces warrant different pressures. Aligning the car I use -1.5 degree's in the front and -2 in the rear. This isn't great but I have to run -2 for the rear tires to miss the fender well. I'm running 235/45/17 but am about to put some ecsta v700 on the stock wheels so I'll be able to put it at a more reasonable -1degree in the rear.

Personally in my division STS is more fun but you'll really have to decide on that. I race SM now and damn its rough. But all in all you just need to make sure you keep as much shock travel in the front as possible or she'll start divin through corners and make the rear end as stiff as possible while still being comfortable.

D

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
Jas00x said:
How about setup tips for alignment and tire pressures (unfortunately I just have the OEM tires now).
Camber, -2 front, -1.5 rear. 0 toe. Go at least 45 psi on the front, rear 2-4psi lower than front.

Initially, I was thinking GS would be good, but the cost of Hoosiers and DA Koni's (for the rear) kind of offsets the *extra* parts cost of a good STS build. What do you guys think?
Agreed. Go STS, get yourself some Azenis, a rear bar, and the camber bolts at least.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
I've been advised to avoid Camber bolts in perfromance applications as they tend to not hold their settings under race loads.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
AlwaySmokin said:
The biggest problem with the suspension that your going to have is the lower the car the less travel in the front shock you are going to have so I would strongly suggest a coil-over or something of that type like a sleeve. If you do go with just a spring and shock/strut combo make sure that the springs don't lower the car too much. If you plan on running STS I would highly suggest a lower sway bay. I use the Progress sway with the tie bar and it really made the car rotate around itself alot better. As far as tire pressures are concerned your always going to want stiffer in the rear of course but there really is no set pressure as different course designs and road surfaces warrant different pressures. Aligning the car I use -1.5 degree's in the front and -2 in the rear. This isn't great but I have to run -2 for the rear tires to miss the fender well. I'm running 235/45/17 but am about to put some ecsta v700 on the stock wheels so I'll be able to put it at a more reasonable -1degree in the rear.

Personally in my division STS is more fun but you'll really have to decide on that. I race SM now and damn its rough. But all in all you just need to make sure you keep as much shock travel in the front as possible or she'll start divin through corners and make the rear end as stiff as possible while still being comfortable.

D
Your tires are too wide for STS, you should be in SM. 225 is the max width.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
walk said:
Camber, -2 front, -1.5 rear. 0 toe. Go at least 45 psi on the front, rear 2-4psi lower than front.

Agreed. Go STS, get yourself some Azenis, a rear bar, and the camber bolts at least.

I've been told to Avoid Camber Bolts in performance applicatons, as they tend to not hold their settings under race loads.

Tire pressure... I run 42-44 front and 35 rear, but then I have an 01 Civic EX, wich is about 200 LBS lighter then the RSX and almost 300 LBS lighter then the RSX-S.

·
Registered
823 Posts
MugenHonda said:
Your tires are too wide for STS, you should be in SM. 225 is the max width.
Oops I do have 225's on but I'm also in SM so :dontknow:

D

·
Registered
235 Posts
crash bolts will hold, but you have to really tighten them down. i use the oem bolts and replace them if i ever have to remove them.

as far as alignment toe out in the rear really helps rotate the car. any more then .1 degree total rear toe out and your looking at some serous tire wear tho, i would stick with .1. i like about the same toe out in the front, but it wont make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
235 Posts
.1 deg, most newer alignment racks only do degrees and people get confused when you tell them inches (they obviously dont know trig). its close to 1/16" iirc...

·
walks softly
127 Posts
Oooh so that's why all those guys are having alignment problems in the wheel and tire forum... the alignment "engineers" don't know trig. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HPDETOY said:
Oooh so that's why all those guys are having alignment problems in the wheel and tire forum... the alignment "engineers" don't know trig. :rolleyes:

So the Crash Bolts are legal for Stock Class? :)

-Jason

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
Yes they are legal and mine haven't moved.

On the Azenis I run 44/40, but on stock suspension with so little camber, they still roll over a little bit past where you would want, sometimes.. depends on the course.

·
Registered
235 Posts
HPDETOY said:
you have no idea what im talking about do you?

if you do, explain to me how to convert toe from inches to degrees, assuming a stock rsx.

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
Yes Jason, the Crash Bolts FROM ACURA (see the service manual) are stock-legal. If they're not, that DQ at the end of the season will really break my heart.

·
walks softly
127 Posts
RussTypeS said:
you have no idea what im talking about do you?

if you do, explain to me how to convert toe from inches to degrees, assuming a stock rsx.
I do know what you are talking about. Using trigonometry to convert units in degrees to units in inches. I do know there is no direct way to convert it, meaning it takes more than just one variable, I do know it is dependent on tire diameter. However since I've never studied trig I cannot tell you the formula. If you would be so kind as to explain it to me I will store it that little folder in my head so I can double check my alignment guys work and I can add it to the list of things I continue to learn.

Thanks,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts