Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
:)
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After like 13 years of having 35w Retro-Solution brand HID's in my fogs, I got tired of them flickering at times and especially the passenger side not firing up at times. Another thing is if you forget to turn your fogs off, when you press to lock your car and unlock them, the fogs will come on and kill your HID ballasts.

I believe the issue is there isn't enough juice going to the ballasts with my stock fog light wiring. The fog lights also don't turn on unless the car is started.

I finally swapped them out to some GP Thunder Leds. I had some good experience with these Leds in different fog lights. They aren't as blue I thought they would be. I wish they were more of the 4300k look as I hate the 6k look. I guess I am just old school.

As of now, I am still using 4300k HID's for my lowbeams as I still have yet to see aftermarket Leds in headlights that shine out worth a damn. Same set of HIDs in my lowbeams since 2005. lol

I will have some output photos soon.

Yanked the HID's out.

·
Curious Gooner
3,709 Posts
I run LED fogs as well. The lack of a ballast is so much easier.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
op do you use retro-solutions hid for your headlights?....14 years problem free is a must buy....
also where did you get you led fog bulbs?.....

·
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
op do you use retro-solutions hid for your headlights?....14 years problem free is a must buy....
also where did you get you led fog bulbs?.....
Yes, I am running Digital Brand HID ballasts/bulbs from retro-solution on all of my vehicles. I run the Night Vision brand on all my foglights. Or used to on the RSX. As far as the led bulbs, I am running these: http://www.gp-thunder.net/index.php/

retro-solutions also has some very similar high quality leds that I am running in my Toyota's DRL/highbeams.

·
Registered
76 Posts
try hikaris ultra LED bulbs. They have been my go to for low beam and they are bright as fuck. HIDs feel out dated to me and had too much issues with HIDS. Went with LEDs and never went back

·
15,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never had issues with my HIDs in my lowbeams since 2005 of owning the RSX. And from the reviews of https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/hikari-led.541258. Those LEDs are no better than most aftermarket LEDs out there. They look bright but don’t throw much light output distance vs HIDS. Maybe oneday they will but not right now.

The main reason that I was having issues with my fog light HIDS was bc I wasn’t getting enough current from my crappy eBay fog light harness. And also when you hit the unlock door button on your remote, you can now leave your fogs on bc they come on instantly and not have to worry about killing your HID ballasts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts