Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that the dry season up here is fast approaching, I had a few questions for everyone that races their RSX about prepping it for optimum performance.

1. Tires - What kind of tires do you guys use? I'm split between Yokohama ES100s, Bridgestone SO3s (I might be able to get a deal on them), and Kumho MXs. Mainly my question is - how fast would those bridgestones wear in autox or high speed lapping combined with fairly aggressive street driving?

2. Brake pads - What do you guys use? I have been looking at Hawks and EBC, but I haven't really seen anything on if there is a tangible difference in performance between them.

3. Brake fluid - What can we and can't we swap to based on our warranty? And what is the high performance brake fluid you would recommend? And any idea how much it costs to change out brake fluid? (This isn't for autocrossing since the brakes aren't stressed nearly enough - but on a high speed road course the RSX's brakes will start to fade towards the end of 30 minutes)

Thanks a lot guys, and your input is always appreciated.

·
Registered
245 Posts
1. Kumho MX
2. Ferodo DS2500's in front, stock rear. Keeps an excellent bias. Powerslot rotor's up front, again, stock rear.
3. ATE Super Blue (or yellow)

I loved my MX's last year and will definatly get another set this year. They were a last minute decision over the ES100's, and I'm glad I made that choice.

After using a set of high-heat ceramics from another company (on my other car), I was looking for something that would be just as good. I went with these Ferodo's based on talking to a guy that just sells brake parts and runs his own cars. He recommended these, and they are just awesome. I too would recommend them to anyone, they dissipate heat very well and just keep on stopping. Keep in mind though that they are still great for street use. They do have a set higher than these if you'd rather, but they are race only and will drive you nuts on the street.

I've used some off-brand brakefluid in the past that would tend to boil some, and after switching to this, I have yet to have a problem with the fluid. It holds great. As for cost, I'm not sure how much it is to change brake fluid...I always do it myself, but if I could guess based on labor/time, maybe 40 bucks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess the best question is prepping for what class and what primary use? - STS and street, Street Prepared and HDPE - because depending I would recommend different setups . . .

Tires:

For CSP or Stock - Kumho Victoracer v700 (for track and autoX) - Or Hoosier AS (for autoX) if you have the money (Major downside is changing wheels for each event as none of these should be driven on the street)

STS - Falken Azenis (not great on the track though, overheat too easy - good for autoX because they heat up quickly)

Brakes:

For autocross - honda brake fluid, Carbotech Bobcat pads on front only (quiet, low dust, great modulation .50 C/f at 40 degrees farenheit - low max temp 900 which when exceeded gives a nice spark show)

For track - Motul or ATE fluid, Carbotech panther+ XP8 (extremely high coefficient of friction 0.60 when > 200 degrees, and reasonably high max range 1300 degrees)

·
Lurker
262 Posts
Tires:
If you can afford a second set of wheels and proper race tires, it is worth it. I use Kumho Victoracers (225/50-16). Otherwise, a high quality street tire in stock size works just fine. You might also consider Falken Azenis.

Brake Pads:
I use Carbotech Panther+ pads, F&R, for track events and auto-x. If you need a track ONLY pad, the Panther XP pads are about the same as the Panther+, just in a higher heat range. You really need to change both F&R pads otherwise you'll cause some weird brake biasing, making the rear twitchy on heavy deceleration situations. Also, the stock pads fade pretty quick and you'll get odd wear patterns on the rear pads if you overheat them.

Brake Fluid:
I use Motul 600RBF. IMO, it is the best. Be sure to flush it every 6 months to 1 year, depending on your useage.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RyanDL said:
Tires:
If you can afford a second set of wheels and proper race tires, it is worth it. I use Kumho Victoracers (225/50-16). Otherwise, a high quality street tire in stock size works just fine. You might also consider Falken Azenis.

Brake Pads:
I use Carbotech Panther+ pads, F&R, for track events and auto-x. If you need a track ONLY pad, the Panther XP pads are about the same as the Panther+, just in a higher heat range. You really need to change both F&R pads otherwise you'll cause some weird brake biasing, making the rear twitchy on heavy deceleration situations. Also, the stock pads fade pretty quick and you'll get odd wear patterns on the rear pads if you overheat them.

Brake Fluid:
I use Motul 600RBF. IMO, it is the best. Be sure to flush it every 6 months to 1 year, depending on your useage.

Ryan
Thanks a lot for the input guys, I knew I should have double posted this to vtec.net (I'm Jderevyanny on there).

Tires: I plan on getting a set of good performance tires at under $90 per pop. Kumho Ecsta 712s (W), Kumho MX or Yokohama ES100s. I am pretty sure I won't be able to notice much difference between them since I am coming from a set of horribly beat up OEMs. I think I can get a good deal on SO-3s at $100 per tire...but then again I don't know if I would actually notice the increased performance enough to offset the increased cost and wear.

Brake fluid: Why does it have to be swapped out every 6 months - 1 year? Is that what should be done with Honda brake fluid as well if used at track/autox? Sorry for asking the noob questions, if someone just links a FAQ on brakefluid I will gladly read it.

Brakepads: Where do you buy them? Online?

Thanks again guys.

BTW - an answer to the previous question: I plan on running stock class. And I do plan on doing high speed stuff, so Falken Azenis are out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts