Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

RSX-S Quickly Heats Up To Medium Temperature

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  marko16 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! Have been visiting this forum for the last 10 years, but now I have a problem of my own and need someones help. 2 days ago I noticed my temperature gauge reach a level I never seen before. It rises to Exactly in the middle of the temp gauge within 5 minutes of driving, does not go further up, however. These are the things I have done so far and this does not resolve the issue.

1. Changed The Oil
2. Ensured coolant in radiator and backup? (Cap to the left of the radiator) Is full

Also made sure the fan kicks in at idle, and it indeed does kickin.

Normally my RSX never goes above the 3rd line on the temperature gauge. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much and happy holidays.:wavey:

#2 ·
That sounds perfectly normal to me. Operating temp is around 187 if memory serves me right, and the gauge should show right in between cold and hot, not 3 hash marks above cold.

From what you're saying, it sounds like your RSX was previously not warming up to operating temp, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

#3 ·
I have no issues believing that my RSX is in normal temp ranges, my concern is more that the temp reaches a hot temp within a few minutes of driving, during winter times. Normally I cannot start the heater for around 15 minutes of constant driving. Now the car will heat up to medium temps within 5 minutes of driving. It does seem like an issue to me because I have owned this car for over 8 years, and this has not happened until 2 days ago.

#5 ·
Mid is fine, and if you haven't taken any coolant out there is no reason to bleed. The second little tank needs nothing in it. If your system over pressures it will shoot some out and thats why it's there. If you haven't changed your coolant in a decade, I'd do that. Being you are seeing a warmer temp, it actually sounds like your thermostat is finally working--it stays closed and warms up quicker, then opens at normal temp.

#7 ·
15 minutes is way too long for your heater to start working, 5 minutes sounds correct. I bet your thermostat was stuck open causing it to take too long to heat up. Sounds like your car fixed itself and you have nothing to worry about. Unless of course the thermostat is stuck closed then your car will over heat and you will have to replace the thermostat. Another possibility is air in the system which you would have to burp it by removing the radiator cap when the engine is COLD and letting the car heat up while also squeezing the upper radiator hose. If that’s the case your radiator cap needs to be replaced because it’s not venting properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Thank you everyone that has helped me out! So, my understanding is that my car is in a normal functioning state at this point and prior, maybe the thermostat was just acting funky. Never had anything like this happen to my RSX before. I am just happy everything is normal. I live here in Oregon, and during the winter seasons I have always struggled with warming up my RSX for the heater. I am happy it will warm up within 5 minutes now! Who would of thought something so simple could cause this. Happy new years guys! :weeeeeeeeee:

#10 ·
One note to what’s been said: you do need coolant in the plastic bottle, between the min and max lines. What the other guy said is old school, older cars may have used this only for overflow, but there is more to it in today’s cooling systems.

#11 ·
I was actually comparing to older systems (Saturn) that the everflow is in the cooling stream and Have a sensor that will tell you if it's low. While it's true (my mistake) that the reservoir should have coolant in, it is after the pressure cap, and not really part of the system. It would however catch overflow in an overheat situation and return to the radiator as long as the pressure cap is in an open position. About 15psi. That way too, when it gets hot you don't puke coolant onto the ground. The Honda system isn't modern, just different. It's better in that it won't do that as well.

#12 ·
FWIW Every other Honda I have owned took at least 15 min to warm up, even driving on the freeway. When I got my RSX, I noticed right away that the heater started working, and the gauge goes up to temp, way sooner (<5min) than any other cars I've owned. So I would confirm that your RSX is now acting normally.

#14 ·
ive got the same issue
So, i changed out my radiator last week, not OEM , it came with a 0.9bar cap, i removed that and put my stock one back on.
I installed everything alright, I also installed a KTUNED fan switch. .
DIAGNOSE IRRATIC TEMP GUAGE MOVEMENT .
TEMP IS NORMAL(UNDER HALF) WHILE NORMAL DRIVING. HIGHWAY OR CRUISING SOON AS I COME TO A STOP OR SIT IN TRAFFIC. THE NEEDLE IMMEDIATELY STARTS TO MOVE ABOVE HALF MARK. TEMP NOTED ABOVE 224F, FAN TURNS ON, GUAGE MOVES DOWN TO ITS NATURAL POSITION UNDER HALF MARK. fan does stay on for a few minutes. temp usually back down to 168F or so.....
I re-bled the coolant, letting car sit for over an hour at idle.

What can it be?? Is it the KTUNED fan switch turning on too late? but i thought these are stock replacement

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.