Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There always seems to be threads about this switch popping up and I just made the switch, so I thought I'd give a write up about my thoughts and how the deal worked for me.

I made the switch this weekend from a 2003 RSX-S to a 2007 WRX Limited. The car still has a few hundred miles before it's broken in, so I can't really comment too much on performance yet so I'll talk about the little shit. I'll add to this in a couple wks when I get a chance after it's broken in.

I made the switch because I will be moving up to ND in a few months and wanted awd. I got 13.5k for my RSX and paid 26.9k for the WRX Limited. I got the 2.5k limited package and $900 worth of accessories for 1.3k over the base WRX price. I'm ok with that deal. Most of the shit I will be pointing out is pretty knit-picky (sp?), but its some stuff I didn't originally think about and just want to throw everything out there for people. Don't get me wrong by reading this, WRX is a nice car and I'm glad I made the purchase. Here is some stuff I've noticed so far:

- ride is smoother according to the wife. I didn't really notice much of a difference :dontknow: but this is the kind of stuff girls pay more attn to

- I haven't really had a chance to do much yet as I said, but on circular highway on ramps the RSX seem a little "tighter" as far as the suspension is concerned. It has more understeer. This will be determined later when I can open it up on roads that I'm used to driving on

- having a back seat window is great, because looking over your shoulder when changing lanes is much easier/quicker

- 90% of the time I've been under 3k, 100% of the time I've been under 4k, and I've never pushed the gas down more than 50%. With that said the engine seems much more responsive. When I'm at 2.5k and I give it some gas to pass someone it gets up and goes with more response than the RSX-S at any rpm with such little gas given. I know I'll need to play with the car alot more concerning this.

- fit and finish inside isn't on par with RSX (but we all know RSX interior > all and takes .5sec off our quarter mile :laughing: )

- sound system isn't as nice as the RSX Bose

- storage area in doors are much smaller in the WRX

- cup holders in the center (w/ water bottles in them) are a little annoying. It was nice having them out of the way on the RSX

- there is no good place to hold change or put your sun glasses

- Gauge lights are green instead of the "evil" red. I could make some bad Star Wars references here but I won't. I did like the red though

- having fog lights is cool. I haven't ever had any before

- auto dimming mirror rocks and the compass in the mirror is useful when in a unknown area. I was in Dallas this weekend and have never been there before

- it's weird seeing the hood scoop out the front and the spoiler out the rear. It's the normal spoiler not the STi wing, but I'm not used to it.

- I could fit my mt bike in the RSX with seat down, this won't be possible in the WRX without getting a rack

- Engine bay is small/packed and seems that it will be hard to do any work under there

- Only one 12v plug sucks. In the RSX I had my phone charger in the rear plug in the back of the concole and used the one under the CD player for my Gtech when I used it or for anything else.

-no rear windshield wiper sux, esp with the morning dew

- with a separate clock in the dash, you can always see your cd's song number and the time into the song; this is nice

-seat warmers are nice in the pre-sun morning

I'm sure I'll have much more to say after awhile, but this is my initial thoughts. I really like the WRX and will need the AWD. I don't think this would be a financially smart move if you don't have a good reason to make the switch EITHER way (S to WRX or WRX to S).

If you have around a 25k budget and want a car that has a refinedish interior, sexy-as-hell exterior, good amount of creature comforts, ok power, and good handling the RSX-S is a great choice. If you want amazing power, need AWD, can live with decent interior and afew less creature comforts the I would say get the WRX.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll update this as I get around to it

:camera: Here are pics

:driving: Performance Review

·
jolly of the midwest
1,093 Posts
good review so far. as far as on/off ramps, did you notice more understeer or oversteer at conservative speeds?

·
Registered
815 Posts
good review so far. as far as on/off ramps, did you notice more understeer or oversteer at conservative speeds?
You may want to reconsider what conservative speeds are... You have to be pushing it pretty hard to understeer or oversteer in about any car.

·
jolly of the midwest
1,093 Posts
well in his situation, he hasnt been pushing it past 3 or 4k. so my questioned was based on that. just meaning if there was an "pull around" from the tail end. but he answered, so thats enough for me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
well i mean overall like its a 4dr and for me its cool cuz u can have ur friends in the car without being cramped and still have a very fast car and also because its an all whell drive.. in the winter ur set with that car and also just cuz of how fast they are stock with the turbo they have

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
well i mean overall like its a 4dr and for me its cool cuz u can have ur friends in the car without being cramped and still have a very fast car and also because its an all whell drive.. in the winter ur set with that car and also just cuz of how fast they are stock with the turbo they have
I agree that 4 doors is a plus depending on your needs, although in this cars case it isn't as sexy as the 2 door RSX which could effect it being an "overall" better car. AWD does make it better IMO. But, if you live in a place that doesn't have a winter (ie FL or CA) the AWD doesn't matter for this reason. I would think that one would consider interior design and creature comforts when considering how you feel about a car "overall." There is no question the RSX wins in this category. I could keep going about which car wins here and there, but I think you get the point that saying the WRX is overall a better car is very bias. It is a better car for some people but not "overall" a better car. With your logic above you would argue the SRT-4 (minus the AWD) is "overall" a better car than the RSX and we all know this is not true

WRX and RSX-S are great cars but there is no way to say one is "overall" better than the other

·
zomg zomg
3,009 Posts
Good review man i really do liek the WRX's and sometimes wish i had one instead of my RSX but o well.

I rode im my frined 06 wrx that was broken in and it does feel a bit quicker but not a whole lot. it does hove torque witch is nice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went from the same car(03 RSX-S) to the . . . same car(07 WRX), except i didn't get the limited option.

- The WRX does not have as tight of a suspension which is why it rides smoother. However it drives totally different with the AWD. I know you mentioned a different feel around corners. IF you do take a corner aggressively enough in the WRX, you have to stay ON the GAS and point the nose where you want to go and trust the car.

-The WRX is a great car. I still too am in the 1000 mile break-in period - which is overkill compared to any other car. However, the car still has great power down low, and that is where you are going to see the difference between the two cars. One has power down low(WRX) and the other up high(RSX).

-I ran my buddies 06 WRX when it was stock and we were neck and neck on the highway (I had KPRO and inake for mods). On the other hand, the WRX's are much more responsive to mods. After he got a 3" exhaust and a Cobb Accessport, it looked like we were not even running he pulled so hard.

-After I drove his car, I knew that the WRX was for me - not too expensive and with lots of power and potential. The look grows on you, I hated the new style when it first came out, now I love it. Everyone's got different taste, if we didn't, we'd all be driving the RSX-S :D.

-Congrats on your purchase, and I hope you like it as much as I do. Now go get yourself a nice exhaust and a tune, you won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 273 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.