Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been brought up before (although I could not find anything on a search).

Anyway, the company I work for is sending me over to the US (Austin, Tx) from the UK which means I'm having to give up my one year-old Civic Type-R :(

I've looked at a couple of cars so far - Evo8 (a friend has got one over here so I know what they are like) which is too expensive, STi which is also too expensive and Cooper-S which I quickly realised would be suicidal in Texas as the F150's wouldn't even see you!

Therefore I've been looking at the RSX Type-S. I believe it uses the same K20A series engine as the UK CTR so I am aware of its performance. The question is handling? For a start, I've noticed the stock 16" wheels and 205/55 series Tyres? Seems a little too laid back which makes me wonder if the suspension settings are also biased towards comfort rather than performance?

Given I can't really mod the car as I'm only going to be in the US between 1 and 2 years (at which point I'll have to sell the car and go back to the UK), how does the stock car handle?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
i dont know about the civic type r, it has the same RSX S engine but has 198 hp vs the RSX S's 200, it also has considerably less torque (i think). performance why they are similar but as for overall...the RSX S is better built, nicer interior....the usual

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
i dont know about the civic type r, it has the same RSX S engine but has 198 hp vs the RSX S's 200, it also has considerably less torque (i think). performance why they are similar but as for overall...the RSX S is better built, nicer interior....the usual

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Arcanum said:
Anyway, the company I work for is sending me over to the US (Austin, Tx) from the UK which means I'm having to give up my one year-old Civic Type-R :( .............

.............Given I can't really mod the car as I'm only going to be in the US between 1 and 2 years (at which point I'll have to sell the car and go back to the UK), how does the stock car handle?

Thanks.
Why not try to find storage for it. Or ship it over. I know there are programs to do this. I am suprised that your company isn't offering you compensation for this.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
MattsTypeS said:
I don't think hes looking for luxury so much. You don't buy a type r for comfort.

Arcanum, the rsx's suspenion will not match up to the type r's. Your definatly going to hate the stock tires. The good news is, this is eaily fixed, for not too much money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not try to find storage for it. Or ship it over. I know there are programs to do this.
Storage isn't really worth it. After two years the next generation Civic Type-R will be out (or something else cooler) and I can buy that instead.

I considered shipping it over as it costs about $1800. However, I've been told you can only keep it for a year before having to do various modifications to keep it legal? Does anyone know what the story is with imports and if I need to do anything other than tax & insure it?

I am suprised that your company isn't offering you compensation for this.
They do (they will pay the difference between what you can sell it for and fair market value).

I don't think hes looking for luxury so much. You don't buy a type r for comfort.
:) Exactly.

I do like the RSX interior though. One thing that has always put me off the Evo is the awful interior (and the huge running costs).

What is the handling like though? Changing the tyres and rims for 17" and a set of Toyo Proxes/Yoko Advans (I presume these are available over here) is one thing, but if the suspension is soft it is still not going to handle brilliantly.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts