Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sold my RSX 5-speed two weeks ago to buy an FR-S. The FR-S is an incredible machine, but it also reminds me daily of how good my RSX was. I sold the RSX with 155K on the odometer, with almost all the original parts - so reliability was outstanding.

Here is a comparison of the two cars:

Braking: Always a weak point in my RSX. Too much slack in the pedal. FR-S is direct and a dream to modulate.

Steering Feel: Pretty equal. The RSX had great steering and tracked beautifully. Very slight edge over the FR-S. Quicker steering ratio in the FR-S should have been standard in the RSX.

Ride: The RSX was softer over small imperfections, with less jiggling, but the FR-S handles big bumps without any harshness. Edge to the FR-S. The FR-S does pick up the road surface and translate it back to the cabin. The RSX is more isolated from that on the highway.

Handling: The FR-S is better around curves and more confident on the highway. But the RSX was remarkably good and not far behind. The RSX was a little better in maintaining traction when turning on bumpy pavement. The FR-S has much better balance, but the difference doesn't really show up in normal driving.

Ergonomics: The RSX had better ergonomics in the controls and the angle of the radio face. The FR-S' controls are closer to hand. The RSX is way better for storage spaces and trunk room. I prefer the fairly upright windshield in the FR-S, and like it much better than the super low angle one in the new Civic SI. Upright windshields are cool in my book.

Visibility: Both cars have good visibility, but the FR-S has the edge in being able to see the hood (wheel bumps on either side), a thinner A column and better side mirror positioning. But the RSX had much better left rear visibility. Rearward gives a slight edge to the RSX.

Quality of Interior: The RSX was a mixed bag. I loved the dash and liked the controls and the steering wheel was the best I have used. But the top door panels and the rubbery armrests were bad. Leather seats in the RSX were outstanding. FR-S seats are confining but extremely comfortable. Climate control better in the RSX. Interior materials are no-frills, but uniformly good quality in the FR-S, except for the climate controls. I like the design in both cars.

Transmission: The RSX is the clear winner, as the FR-S is much more notchy. However, I prefer the clutch in the FR-S since takeup is shorter and more precise.

Noise: The FR-S is quiet at low speeds, and fairly loud on the highway due to road noise. The RSX had both wind and road noise. Edge to the FR-S.

Driving Experience: I give the edge to the RSX at low speed and in congested conditions. Driving normally on empty roads they are equal. At higher speeds the FR-S shows tremendous confidence and surety that my base RSX couldn't match.

One other area where the RSX is better is in ease of entry and exit. I still haven't found a graceful way to get into and out of the FR-S. Its long doors and high threshold means that the doors have to be open wide to get in and out. The RSX has a clear edge in tight parking spaces.

I'm not going to talk about the engine, since I didn't own a type S that would be a more direct comparison. But I will say that the engine sound in the FR-S is more throaty and coarse - but very likeable.

If anyone has questions, I'd be glad to answer them. Also, I am not about to start drifting the FR-S until I get access to a track and money to burn.

If you own an RSX I suggest that money spent on increasing its longevity is well spent. Almost every car I test drove over the past year, including Honda, Acura, Mini, Mustang, Subaru, Nissan, Volvo, Mazda and Ford, did not offer road feel and steering comparable to the RSX.

·
Registered
15,360 Posts
Nice review and comparison! My fiance is looking into one as well but really likes my RSX also. She just wants something different and the FRS/BRZ are her first choice

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats on the new car purchase. I sat in one in a Toyota showroom in Tokyo, and could almost imagine what it felt like to drive. I like how the car looks, and the fact that it's a lightweight RWD car with good mileage. I hope you're enjoying it.

·
thisdancegetstheladies
4,750 Posts
Would be better if you compared it to the type-s....

I'm always telling people this, but the rsx's steering feel is amazing. Both of my friends with evos drove my rsx, and the first thing they said was that the rsx felt just like their Evo, just without the boost. I feel like if the rsx came with better tires, the steering feel would be matched by handling, too, on the rsx.

·
thisdancegetstheladies
4,750 Posts
It's disappointing to hear that the fr-s' tranny is notchier, though. That is a big part of having pleasure in the driving experiences. Congrats on the buy though. They look great. Can't wait for them to get modded.

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
I don't really like the BRZ more but it comes with HIDs and nav, that makes me want it more..also the 2 FR-S's at the dealer by me listed for 26k, I though they were supposed to be cheaper..

·
Expert Troll
25,774 Posts
the suspension is tuned differently, FR-S is tuned more for oversteer. interiors are a little different, BRZ has standard hids and NAV, BRZ limited has push button start, heated seats, leather/alcantara(sp?) seats. Some tests have shown the FR-S to be slightly faster in a straight line, though I can't see why. basically you get the brz if the options are worth the extra money to you

there are lots of magazine articles comparing the 2

1 - 20 of 132 Posts