Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
My girlfriend wants to get a RSX or a tC. I own a tC, so I know pretty much all about it, its pros and cons, etc. But I know relatively nothing about the RSX. Looking here: Edmunds.com
To me, it seems that the tC is the better buy, but I'd like to hear from actual owners to help off set my bias towards the tC. Numbers, and stats I've found can be misleading.

Now taking into account that she probably doesn't plan on racing. (At least I don't believe she will, but who knows.) She's looking more into the features. Here is where I am at a lost, having never been in a RSX. Any help would be greatly apprecieated. I guess the bottom line: is the extra $4-7K worth it?

·
Shake that money maker
1,089 Posts
Before my RSX, I drove a Scion xB until I got rear-ended pretty bad and decided to get rid of it.

I test drove both the tC and the RSX since I was looking at which car I wanted to go with. I thought that the tC was a nice car for the money, considering the features like the Scion sound system and the panorama moonroof. However, after test driving the RSX, I felt that the RSX had a much more pleasant (in terms of looking and feel) interior, comfortable seats, the gauges look wonderful when lit up, and I felt that the RSX was a better car in almost every aspect. It "felt" better to drive compared to the tC (maybe it's just me, but I didn't care much for the tC sharing the Camry engine), the RSX handled better around turns, and it felt like the RSX was a car that was just "better built" compared to the tC. I felt like some interior pieces were flimsy in the tC compared to the RSX. Although I initially liked how the tC looked at first, I began to fall more in love with the styling of the RSX. The RSX also gets slightly better gas mileage than the tC in both automatic and manual transmission(s).

In my opinion, the extra $4-$7k for the RSX or Type-S is definitely worth it over the tC. It's a fantastic car (I have a Base 05) thats fun to drive all the time, handles great, looks great, and has slightly better gas mileage. The car is also ridiciously easy to wash on your own (perhaps the tC is also, but I have not washed one yet).

Your girlfriend should really get out there and test drive both cars. If you know she doesn't plan on racing, then the numbers and stats (except maybe for gas mileage) should not really apply here. I think that your girlfriend should definitely get the RSX over the tC. And plus, at least at Acura she can negotiate the price, unlike at Scion.

- joriz

·
Shake that money maker
1,089 Posts
I'm not sure about negotiating down the price $4-7k...but perhaps maybe close to invoice or below MSRP. But she should still test drive both cars to see which one feels better to drive and which feels more comfortable to be in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I've been telling her that she should get a test drive. She says that she would like to be as well informed as possible before going to any dealer. I agree with her, which is why I'm here instead of my usual tC board. Knowledge is power.

BTW, Thank you joriz RSX for the quick, informatitive reply.

·
Shake that money maker
1,089 Posts
It's great that she's willing to be as well informed as possible, not too many girls are like that :thumbsup:

The tC is packed with features, no doubt, but I still believe, in my opinion, after sitting in the RSX compared to the tC...she just might be swayed to the RSX (just like I was haha) :spin:

Either way, she can't really go wrong with either cars considering they are both backed by excellent manufacturers. Let me know how it goes! :)

·
16,924 Posts
Well if she doesn't plan on racing, the tC is the better value and it still has a good aftermarket.

Although if you do think she is the one, then maybe an RSX would be cool because as you said, you could switch cars and get the best of both worlds....

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
tC is probably the better deal if she doesn't really care much about performance, it's just the better buy when it comes to number of gadgets per buck

RSX is more performance oriented, so...I'd have to say tC.

For the price of a base RSX, I was able to get it down to 19k or so with leather, manual 5 speed. I don't think you can go much lower than that

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
from sticker on the rsx you have about 2 grand. and on the scion i heard they dont negotiate

·
Thug Life
884 Posts
in a world where appearance is everything, i must say i think the rsx is hotter... I think the interior of a tC is comparable though. Definately would have to agree about lettin her test drive em or alteast let her sit in each

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
RSXSAV69 said:
from sticker on the rsx you have about 2 grand. and on the scion i heard they dont negotiate

Yeah, the scion cars have "pure pricing" so you can't haggle down for the price of the cars. It's a good deal...just don't get any of the other options besides like airbags or something, it's really expensive

·
Alpine White E46 M3
2,518 Posts
I'm a current Scion owner like yourself. I drive an xA. Soon to be driving my Type-S.

Anyways, I agree with what everyone is saying. Seeing how she's not looking to "race" the car as you have said, the tC is better in terms of features and function. It's also ironic that the tC projected market is 18-25 females. I'm assuming your gf probably falls in that range?

I would suggest that you let her test drive the RSX anyways, so she can see both sides of the fence, and then she can decide. For her usage, I don't think it's worth the extra 4k-7k. If she wants a little extra push in the tC, there are a lot of aftermarket parts as I'm sure you know from ScionLife.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If she isn't planning on racing, and doesn't care about such things as leather, the tC is a great deal. The 5 speed tC I drove when shoppin felt a little rough with long throws, however the automatic makes it into quite a nice daily driver. The panoramic sunroof is nice in the tC. The sound system is better.

If you're looking remotely at performance and the "fun-to-drive" factor, the Type S wins hands-down. It's more of a sports car than a sporty coupe like the tC. I agree with the above poster also - if she gets the tC, it's an awesome deal with NO options - add options and it loses its appeal quickly vs. the RSX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SilverRSXJezus said:
Yeah, the scion cars have "pure pricing" so you can't haggle down for the price of the cars. It's a good deal...just don't get any of the other options besides like airbags or something, it's really expensive
You can bargain for accessories. I got my floor mats for free. I've been told by other tC owners that they have gotten side airbags and the auto dimming mirror for below MSRP.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
My friend paid a lil bit $17.5K out the door for an automatic tC. I know a few base owners that got the base rsx with cloth seat out the door for $20.4K.

I was at Toyota of Northridge and they wanted over $24K for a tC with body kit, subwoofer, Pioneer head unit, aluminum shift knob, and 18" wheels.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I own a rsx but i still like the way the tc looks better. It seems much smoother and the body lines flow more. Plus the huge sun roof is nice. It is all buy prefrence though.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.