Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... I can only imagine how often this thread is done. sorry if I'm rehashing old, tired subjects :(

but, heres my dilemma- I own a '01 mustang v6 :( right now. recently I've taken it into my head that I need something more suited to where I live, and all the extended road trips I take. the stang is too small and cramped and has RWD which is horrible in the northeast winters :( .

the two cars I like best that aren't rwd are the RSX-S and the WRX...

I like that the RSX-S is two doors, and comes with a 6 speed tranny, leather seats, climate control and sunroof :D

but I like that the WRX is faster, turbo, and AWD...

aside from the drivetrain and engine/power, a couple of really big issues for me are insurance cost and interior roominess.

How does interior room compare between the WRX and RSX?
I hope they are both bigger than the mustang interior!

also, how much to insure one of these? as compared to a Mustang.
I would imagine that the Mustang carries a higher insurance premium with it for the name alone :eek:
but I dont know how the WRX and RSX-S compare to the stang in terms of insurance.

I would imagine that since Im posting this here I'll get a lot of RSX bias :)
but if theres anyone that can answer my questions, please help. :)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
well i don't know about the S, but insurance on a WRX isn't very bad since they just consider it an Impreza, they don't make a distinction between teh RS and the WRX.

However, interior quality is crap. it's all plastic-y and crappy. RSX interior is very nice, but not sure about roominess.

Obviously i'm gonna vote for the RSX cuz i own one, and plus it's not as freakishly ugly as teh wrx.

·
Registered
715 Posts
if u want AWD = MORE on performance get WRX. if u want classy ,sporty look and a lil bit performance ther rsx-s. goodluck

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Seeing that you've previously owned a Mustang, I think you'd appreciate WRX's torque and turbo. The RSX's I4 engine might not cut it... but I'm not saying you won't like it's high-revving characteristics... Don't know, maybe I'm judging you too much.

Interior? RSX, all the way. WRX's interior is not that good IMO.

Tranny? RSX-S. Yes. You'll love it. 6 speed... very crisp, engages smoothly and clearly. Never driven WRX's 5 speed, so can't comment on that.

The RSX is not very roomy in the back. Then again, neither is the WRX, but at least it's got a little more headroom and extra doors to get into with much ease.

The WRX is faster off the start, no doubt about that... but once you get on a roll, they're pretty close. I don't know how the WRX handles, but I like the way the RSX feels... especially with my mods.

Some problems that you might face on the RSX are: gear grind thing (not found on mine), crappy tires, interior that scuffs easily, leather cracking (can be fixed with proper care)...

WRX: rough idle, I think there're problems with its internals? I'm not sure which part... some gasket leak or something? Not sure. Drop the clutch too much, the AWD can put a lot of stress on the tranny and wreck it quickly... crappy tires.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I've sat inside of and driven both cars, and the wrx and rsx both have pros and cons with each other. The wrx is by far going to be the best bang for the buck for performance, and it is very responsive.

I remember test driving the rsx-s and the transmission was smooth but the car had less than 1000 miles and some gears were hard to get into without playing around with techniques. The car was fast but it didn't "feel" fast as it was a high revving i4 which took a little away from the car for me. The rsx-s was quite comfortable, and wasn't cramped in the front (for what it is worth I am about 6' 2") and the controls were very easy to get used to. The seats fit me a little small but overall it was fairly comfortable.

The wrx was first and foremost one of the "quickest" cars I have driven in a long time, and seemed very responsive through its rpm ranges. It handled or felt just as nimble as the rsx IMO and when the turbo spooled it was a beast. Performance wise you could feel this car come to life and it gave you a much more drastic difference in feel. The interior was just about as roomy in the wrx, but it wasn't as comfortable. This wasn't neccessarily a down side for me because it really isn't that important. The wrx was something that fit my preferences better, but the rsx-s is definately not any slouch.

Upon the other issues previously mentioned the wrx does have an idle problem but it isn't as severe as people make it seem (probably a fluctuation of about 100-150 rpms at most). The whole transmission not being able to take the abuse thing is very untrue and many have driven the 1/4 mile for quite a few runs with no issues, while others do have issues. IMO it is a persons driving technique that determines how the transmission will hold up to the abuse. The issue with the interior not being comfortable is not really an issue with the newest wrx's as they have very fitting seats like the rsx and add the support needed. Another problem for me is that I like the bugeyed look so I wouldn't be able to transfer the seats without paying some serious money for some minor interior modification.

The rsx does have an issue with the gears, but again it is driving technique that causes this and if you get a feel for the car it doesn't seem to be an issue. The tires are debatable, and they really are not a hard thing to change, because at some point they have to be changed (break in period). The interior issues only seemed to affect the first year rsx-s' and the scuffing is normal on leather seats no matter what the car if you are not careful.

·
Z Driver
4,228 Posts
One thing that nobody seems to care about or ever mention is the gas milage. The RSX is listed as getting 24/31, while the WRX is 21/27 (I think). However, people have gotten much better than 31 on the highway w/ the RSX, and it just makes it a more practical car. It might not be a big issue, but still a deciding factor for me.

Welcome to the boards newb

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
PurelySwift said:
One thing that nobody seems to care about or ever mention is the gas milage. The RSX is listed as getting 24/31, while the WRX is 21/27 (I think). However, people have gotten much better than 31 on the highway w/ the RSX, and it just makes it a more practical car. It might not be a big issue, but still a deciding factor for me.

One thing some people forget to mention is that the wrx is a great winter car, hence the awd and hence the reason there is some issues with gas mileage. Well the awd and that thing that looks like a snail in the engine might be the reason. :laughing: Some people don't really care about the gas mileage and can take the hit in order to get the performance they desire.

·
Mambo King
204 Posts
PurelySwift said:

Good point and I also believe that the RSX-S engine requieres less maintance than the WRX's (valve adjustments more often) otherwise the engine will sound like the old VW Beetle's...:rolleyes: ...but a good choice nontheless...:thumbsup:

·
WOT shift foh lyfe!
644 Posts
i cant believe no one mentioned how shitty the RSX's brakes are?!!? or the fact you can't see out the back worth shit. BIG C pillars. the RSX has NO legroom in the rear. i used to work at dealership that included subaru's and the WRX interior is pretty cheap compared to an RSX's, but it's just an impreza. that flat four sounds damned sexy though :thumbsup: with my intake, i get MAYBE 22mpg in the city with my RSX. on the highway, i average around 36-38mpg.

·
Banned
170 Posts
get the wrx...MUCH better car

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
WRX interior quality is not crap.. it just the design is not great, on the other hand, RSX interior is nice but the interior quality same as WRX. Interior Design not = to Interior quality

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
RSX-white said:
WRX interior quality is not crap.. it just the design is not great, on the other hand, RSX interior is nice but the interior quality same as WRX. Interior Design not = to Interior quality
The new 04's do actually feel really comfortable. And yes interior design does not always = quality, somewhat like old cadillacs that look cool on the inside but have gaps, and are made with cheaper materials that would creak or crack.

·
Sir Loin
142 Posts
To me the WRX interior seems like a 99 chevy cavalier sedan rental car interior. Speed wise, stock thewrx is much faster odviously, but you can do alot with an RSX. Cybernation down here in florida has a demo stage 2 base auto RSX that pushes around 400hp to the wheel i think it was. Style wise I think you'd have to be blind not to say the RSX is a beautiful car, and its less money which is always good!

·
Banned
259 Posts
WRX handles better, WRX is faster, WRX is cheaper to insure, WRX is 4 wheel drive, WRX is 100% made in Japan

·
Banned
259 Posts
As assinine as this sounds, when I was shopping for both the RSX-S and WRX, I got insurance quotes from my carrier (21st century).

For a 6 month term:

RSX-S hatchback 6MT = 1015
WRX sedan 5MT, turbo = 997

Go figure, the comparably slower, worse handling, wrong wheel drive cost more to insure!

·
Banned
259 Posts
JOBNUMBER said:
Not in my case... if the WRX was cheaper... I would buy it right now and trade my RSX in.
Weird, even considering my quotes were for Southern Cal, which is one of the most expensive places in the nation to insure your car.

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
The WRX is an ugly frog looking vehicle. No matter how well it performs, i think most people would rather not be seen in it. The only cars that I think are uglier then the WRX are 2 other cars that Subaru makes, the STi and the Baja. Is Subaru going out of their way to make the ugliest cars as possible:confused: Its obvious by looking at the new Legacy, that GM had alot to do with the design of that car:laughing:, because it is the ONLY good looking car in their lineup.

It is very debatable wether or nor the WRX handles better. Most skidpad tests are very similar for both. I believe both cars use the same suspension setup. So, neither has an advantage really here.

Faster? JF1GD2, you need to be more specific. In the 1/4 mile the WRX is faster. From just about any roll the RSX is faster, and also the RSX has a much higher top speed. So, in 2 out of 3 the RSX is actually "faster". Not ot mention the RSX stops faster as well.

Gearing/gearbox: This is no contest. Smooth 6speed tranny or clanky 5 speed? Also, after 2nd gear the WRX falls flat on it's face. 3rd gear in the WRX blows. I test drove one and dropped this car in 3rd on the freeway and it was a fucking dog. I knew right then I could never own one. If you do any type of freeway racing you will be raped repeatedly by anything on the road pretty much. 3rd gear in the RSX just plain OWNES! The WRX has rally gears. The 1st 2 are nice, the rest suck balls.

If you drive in the snow get a WRX. If you like 4 doors instaed of 2, get the WRX. If you want all your friends to laugh at you get a WRX. If you like cloth seats as opposed to leather, get the WRX. If you hate sunroofs get the WRX. If you don't like climate control get the WRX. If you dont want to stop quick enough to avoid an accident, get the WRX.

PS: Yes, i know stopping power in the RSX is not the greatest, but it is better then the WRX. The RSX is the lesser of the 2 evils.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.