Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there's a rough rule/rule of thumb as to how much power is gained from bumping a point in compression....I put down 197whp and 141wtq on my A2/A3 hybrid with AEM CAI, Comptech RH, Comptech Exhaust, Hondata IM Gasket and Kpro tuning on a Dynojet.

I was wondering how much I can expect to gain from bumping compression to 11.0 (swapping in A2 block soon) from the 9.8 compression of the A3 block. I am also considering putting in a Mugen headgasket to raise compression to 11.4 while I'm at it.

Another question while on topic...I'm currently running an EP3 AEM CAI...would there be much advantage to switch to a Type S CAI (slightly bigger diametered piping)?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Some people say 4% increase in power for every full point of compression added, but I don't really have any personaly experience to back up that claim.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
JTSmith said:
Some people say 4% increase in power for every full point of compression added, but I don't really have any personaly experience to back up that claim.
So the Mugen head gasket would make like 3~4 hp on a type-s?

-eric

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Ericcarver1 said:
So the Mugen head gasket would make like 3~4 hp on a type-s?

-eric
Yeah probably. I don't think they're worth messing with.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
If the head is already going to be off, then by all means do it. If you don't plan on pulling the head though, a head gasket is not a justifiable horsepower increasing mod.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
BigDawg said:
If the head is already going to be off, then by all means do it. If you don't plan on pulling the head though, a head gasket is not a justifiable horsepower increasing mod.
You think it would be worth throwing on there if I was doing a cam swap?

-eric

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
BigDawg said:
I agree with this. Pulling the head off completely is complicated work; you don't want to do it for 3 whp.

But if you already have it off, then you should be doing it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup, my head is gonna be off...I'm essentially swapping in a K20a2 the hard way...buying a K20a2 head, block, 6spd and putting them all together and then dropping em in the car.

I'm just wondering if the car will be much more knock prone or not. What aspect will have to be tuned by Kpro for an increase in compression?

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
anjapower said:
yup, my head is gonna be off...I'm essentially swapping in a K20a2 the hard way...buying a K20a2 head, block, 6spd and putting them all together and then dropping em in the car.

I'm just wondering if the car will be much more knock prone or not. What aspect will have to be tuned by Kpro for an increase in compression?
So the motor will be a stock K20A2 except the headgasket? You won't knock.

With the KPro, you'll want to watch the fuel and ignition tables. Add a little fuel if needed, take away a little ignition advance if needed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
internally stock A2 with AEM CAI, Comptech RH, Comptech Exhaust and Hondata IM gasket.

To go slightly off topic, I'm working on a tight budget here but is there anything that you guys would DEFINITELY drop in while the motor and tranny are all apart? The Mugen headgasket is the first on the list and Exedy Stage 1 clutch + ACT Prolite flywheel are already here. I'd love to drop in cams, valve springs, itr im, lsd, itr fd, etc etc, but I don't think my budget will allow for more than 800 bucks on top of the work I'm already getting done.

·
Registered
13,782 Posts
No problems, then.

·
I got an idea...
230 Posts
anjapower said:
Another question while on topic...I'm currently running an EP3 AEM CAI...would there be much advantage to switch to a Type S CAI (slightly bigger diametered piping)?
I'm sure the Type S cai has an advantage, it's tuned for the requirements of the A2 motor. A Type S cai fits the ep3 and vice versa, so AEM could have just sold one model if there was no difference in performance.

·
Banned
26,325 Posts
I really dont think you would gain anything from the type-s intake, they should be the same thing, you guys have the same throttle body.

Hope everything is going good for you anj. My shit is slowley coming along. Ill have my head dont by the end of this month, then off to the block.

Im still looking for a 6 speed tranny. Soo much money, to go fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.