Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 RSX-S is showing rust around the gas filler pipe. Does anyone know of warranty or recall to cover this problem. Rest of the car is great - no rust at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's weird that this happened to a car in Chicago but my guess is the cap was off for an extended period of time and humidity got the best of it. You should be okay until you start smelling gas while driving or when it's off

It is possible to sand the neck but you have to remove it and I'm guessing that is some what a bit** on this car. If you're gonna do all that work I'd just buy the dorman replacement part for $50.

You might also want to check the inside of the gas tank as well, what sort of condition it is in. A snake would probably let you see the inside of the tank (I'm no expert on the rsx tho), those are as cheap as $20 online.

Again you probably don't have to get it fixed until you start smelling gas (it's possible you'll get a CEL) but if you want to stay on the safe side it is a task you can perform, or pay someone well over $500 to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rust is on the inner fender, on the back side of the filler cap (Not the door). Thinking about sanding the rust then using POR-15 paint to stop the rust. Tough to get at the rust from under the fender.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts