Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Rx-7 reviewed by Matt Farah from /DRIVE.
The idea of comparing both engines in a Rx-7 is fantastic however I believe Matt missed the deeper aspects and feel of both cars.. He stuck to the objective matters. My car had its twin wastegates dumped during the shoot which was too loud, since then I re-routed them and sounds much better (see my track video)

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pay_-WMK_Y

Track video (re-routed wastegates)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-V2AEriYjg

·
K24 revhard
2,571 Posts
Just watched the video. Way to short first off. 2nd the host seemed to miss entirely what the rx7 represents imho. To me the v8 just completely ruins what the rx7 represents. While the red one is the complete opposite. I would take the red one any day of the week over that white one. Again just my 2 cents

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
18,623 Posts
as a rotary enthusiast (rx-8 owner now, 5th rotary car), i agree about slapping a v8 in, BUT an LS1 is the next best thing and is a wonderful replacement. i wouldnt do it, and i dont consider an rx-x with a v8 an rx-7/rx-8 anymore (maybe LS-RX-7/8) but still, tons of fun.

the chassis is incredible, SA/FB, FC, and especially FD and FE, but theres something unique and just right about revving to 9k all day long...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I like Matt Farah's one take videos but he's a bit of an oaf otherwise. He says that "the rotary is in no objective way better than a piston engine" which really reveals how ignorant he is. He keeps saying how much the LS swapped RX7 feels like a corvette as if its a good thing, just get a corvette then.

He completely missed the point of the car and seems to essentially say the spirit of a rotary doesn't matter if its at the expense of pure numbers. Ironic coming from a guy who routinely tells people the miata is the best first car you can buy because of its fun spirit and direct feel. Funny because for cheaper you can get an ST, an Si, a GTi, or even a WRX (wrx is about the same price) and it will be faster, hold higher lateral G's, be more fuel efficient and infinitely more practical than a miata. I guess arguments that pertain to more intangible subjects only matter when they support Matt Farrah.

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
18,623 Posts
I like Matt Farah's one take videos but he's a bit of an oaf otherwise. He says that "the rotary is in no objective way better than a piston engine" which really reveals how ignorant he is. He keeps saying how much the LS swapped RX7 feels like a corvette as if its a good thing, just get a corvette then.

He completely missed the point of the car and seems to essentially say the spirit of a rotary doesn't matter if its at the expense of pure numbers. Ironic coming from a guy who routinely tells people the miata is the best first car you can buy because of its fun spirit and direct feel. Funny because for cheaper you can get an ST, an Si, a GTi, or even a WRX (wrx is about the same price) and it will be faster, hold higher lateral G's, be more fuel efficient and infinitely more practical than a miata. I guess arguments that pertain to more intangible subjects only matter when they support Matt Farrah.
all of those are different drivetrains and different feels than subject car(s). the RX-series and many enthusiast/true sports cars are as close to 50/50 as practically possible, and have a totally different feel to them. all the cars you mentioned are prone to understeer, which is what most cars do. many other rwd's are prone to oversteer, a nicely balanced car can do either based on the drivers whim; its that ability to control it to a finer degree that differentiates.

speed isnt everything to me; i strongly prefer being able to articulate the vehicle precisely how i want to, not just barrel charge through a turn and let the car do everything, otherwise this would be another Nissan GT-R comparison thread.

all comes down to driver preference, and sadly most people, and reviewers, to me, are not true drivers. ive had more fun in a miata than i have in a ferrari, because i enjoyed being in control and being able to let loose predictably and at will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts