Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 985 Posts

·
Alpine White E46 M3
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing Krisen Type-S’s car with the S2000 cluster retrofitted into his car, I had to do one for myself. Big thanks to Petah for already providing the pin outs for the S2000 and RSX and all the help, and Krisen for his help along the way.

DISCLAIMER: This is meant as a guide to help you. I am not responsible for any damage done to your car by you or anyone else that works on it using this guide.

For starters, I have to say although this task is not very difficult, it will require patience and some knowledge of working with electrical.

Krisen Type-S

Things needed:
1) S2000 gauge cluster
2) Speedohealer v.4 (http://www.healtech-electronics.com/) with universal harness
3) ECT convertor module (http://www.modifry.com/products/ect/index.htm)
4) Pin-out chart (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=572949)

Things recommended:
1) S2000 gauge cluster wiring harness/plugs/pigtails
2) 2nd RSX gauge cluster (Doesn’t matter if it’s base or type-s)
3) Red transparent tape/transparency/cellophane

Reasons for recommendations:
1) Wiring the cluster to the RSX will be a LOT easier with existing plugs from the S2000 cluster. Otherwise, you will have to make your own harness (see below).
2) If you do not want to cut your existing RSX wiring harness, you can take the plugs from the 2nd RSX gauge cluster to make a plug-and-play harness. You can also use the housing to hold the S2000 cluster in the RSX (see below).
3) In the stock S2000 cluster, the RPM gauge, ECT and fuel gauges light up amber. If you would like to red-out those sections, you will need red transparent tape/transparency/cellophane.

Materials needed:
1) 30+ wires of gauge 22-18
2) 60 pin connections if you are making your own harness
3) Plenty of wire taps and butt connectors
4) Shrink wrap tubing to prevent connectors from touching
5) Pipe strapping to mount cluster and mounting hardware
6) Black plastic/foam for shroud

Estimated time required: 12+ hours

·
Alpine White E46 M3
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. Print off the pin-out chart put together by Petah. Get familiar with it. You will be referring to it a lot.

Note: This DIY is done with an S2000 AP2 cluster into a 02-04. Pin-outs will vary if you are using an AP1 cluster or retrofitting the cluster into a 05-06

If you would not like to red-out your RPM, ECT and fuel gauges, skip to step 3.

2. Remove the face by undoing the tabs on the side and bottom of the cluster and two screws on the front of the cluster. Carefully pop off the two pieces of plastic behind each other. You will then see amber parts. Using see-through red tape/transparency/cellophane, mask off those sections so when light shines through, you will see red.

If you purchased your S2000 cluster with plugs, skip to step 4.

3. You will need at least 29 connection wires (AP2) to make your own harness. I went to a local surplus store and got power wires for a floppy drive (approx. 22 gauge). I also picked up connection ends so the wires connect securely to the S2000 cluster.

If you did not get a 2nd RSX cluster, skip to step 6.

4. To open the cluster, remove the screws surrounding the cluster and undo the snaps. Keep the black part of the cluster as you will need it for later.

5. In order to remove the plugs, you will need to take the circuit board out. To do this, remove the dials on the front, pop off the black rings underneath and peel back the black backing of the cluster. You will then find screws underneath. Remove those screws and the circuit board should fall out. The plugs have screws behind them, so be sure to remove those screws as well. The pins are soldered to the circuit board. Using a solder iron, heat up the connections behind the board, and once the solder has softened, use your iron and push the pin through the board. Do this for all pins and you should be able to remove the plug from there.

·
Alpine White E46 M3
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
6. Begin following the pin-out chart and connect the appropriate wires together. If you have a 2nd RSX cluster, connect the ends that go to your RSX to the extra plugs you removed. Otherwise, remove your RSX cluster in your car (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=102079) and cut the wires.

Since my connectors do not have any plastic shroud around them, I used shrink wrap tubing around them to prevent them from touching each other in the cluster. Also, since my harness is a custom one and not the one provided for the S2000, I made labels for each wiring, specifying which pin out in would be connected to, and a short description incase anything got loss or undone.

Of the 29 connections in the S2000 cluster, 7 do no connect directly to the RSX wiring harness but rather the Multiplex Control Unit (MCU). 2 other connections go to the Speedohealer and ECT. The MCU is located under the steering column in the kick panel area above the fuse box. I recommend having about 2 feet of cable per connection. Wire taps will make the connecting easy and clean.

7. Once you have all the main cluster wires connected, it’s time to connect the ECT module.

The ECT module will require +5V power and a ground. Tap the 4 lines out to the following:

White (Signal Input from ECT Sensor) – B8(Red/White) in the ECU wiring harness
Green (Signal Output to Temp Gauge) – B5 on the S2000 cluster
Yellow (+5V) – #4 (Grey) on the back of the HVAC
Black (Ground) – #1 (Black) on the back of the HVAC

8. Next converter you need to connect is the speedohealer. This will convert the analog signal from the RSX into a digital signal for the S2000 cluster. Like the ECT module, the speedohealer will require a +5V to +12V power source and ground. Tap the 4 lines out of the harness to the following:

White (Signal Input) – Tap into the VSS sensor, through the firewall ontop of the transmission (White/Green)
Green (Signal Output) – B7 on the S2000 cluster
Red (+5V to +12V) – A10 on the S2000 cluster
Black (Ground) – A17/18 on the S2000 cluster

This is what your S2000 cluster should generally look like at this point.

9. The hardest part is now done. All the wiring is complete before you connect it into the RSX. The S2000 cluster is small enough to fit into the black housing of the RSX cluster. There will obviously be some open spacing. Using black foam board or bristle board, making a shroud to fill in the gaps of the open area.

10. Remove the clear plastic cover on the housing. Keep this for later to make the trim bezel. You will need to dremel out the clear plastic. Next, use pipe strap and mounting hardware (depending on your hole gapping) to mount the S2000 cluster into the RSX housing. You will have to cut off a few of the tabs on the RSX housing in order for the S2000 cluster to fit snug. I connected the end tabs of the RSX housing to the mounting points on the S2000 cluster.

This is what your final result should look somewhat like.

11. Now that everything is complete, connect everything to your car. The plugs will be easy, just snap in. You will have to tap the 7 MCU connections, and the power, ground and signal wire for the ECT. From there, you will need to calibrate the Speedohealer with a GPS(+3650.0% for me), and upload the increment file to the ECT to have proper ECT measurements.

That’s all the steps. It’s a fairly compact version of all the work I had to go through. It will require some time and patience to do everything. I did this project over the course of a week as parts came in. If you have any questions, post here. I’m sure Petah and Krisen Type-S will also be able to chime in and help. Enjoy.

·
Alpine White E46 M3
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now thats a hell of a write up ! mang thanks i want this sooo freaking bad. any idea if there are any changed with the 05's ?
The pin outs of the 05-06 is different from the 02-04. The pin out chart can be found in the link to Petah's thread. I purposely didn't include such detail to avoid confusion. Besides that, everything else should be the same. If you use an AP1 cluster, there may be more connections.

Good luck with the project!

·
Alpine White E46 M3
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, that is awesome!!! Does everything work 100%? Any videos? :thumbsup::thumbsup: <-- two thumbs up for you!
Everything works 100%. There is a video in Petah's original thread and I Krisen has a few videos on youtube if you wanna search. Krisen originally had an AP1 cluster, but now has an AP2 one. I believe videos of both are on YouTube.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Watched some youtube vids. This is a sick ass mod... congrats! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Pisses me off when all the RSX owners dogg on the Si for it's digital speedo tho!! tell them to STFU cause now you have one and it's bomb.

·
Alpine White E46 M3
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Watched some youtube vids. This is a sick ass mod... congrats! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Pisses me off when all the RSX owners dogg on the Si for it's digital speedo tho!! tell them to STFU cause now you have one and it's bomb.
LOL everyone has their things. I just love the digital-ness of it all. Esp the RPM gauge and how redline will start flashing when you reach close to redline.

·
Alpine White E46 M3
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good job on the cluster. it was a fun project wasn't it! :)
LOL took a lot of patience, but was well worth it!

Sooooo siiiick. Can this be done to a base auto? (without showing what gear, etc I'm in of course)
I don't see why not. The transmission of the car doesn't have much to do with the cluster besides the obvious RPM difference.

·
Low Flying Whore Ron
1,001,869 Posts
Can you change the redline to 8600? Are you going to be going to the "Ride Show" or "HIN Nights" in Sept? i would like to see this in person. :)

If you use your old RSX housing for this... can you swap this one out easily and replace with the Type R whenever you want or is it more complicated once this unit has been nstaled?

·
Alpine White E46 M3
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you change the redline to 8600? Are you going to be going to the "Ride Show" or "HIN Nights" in Sept? i would like to see this in person. :)

If you use your old RSX housing for this... can you swap this one out easily and replace with the Type R whenever you want or is it more complicated once this unit has been nstaled?
It is possible to change the redline. I have read about it, but don't know how to really do it.

I won't be at HIN in September, but where are you located? If you're in the Bay area, I go there pretty often.

I'm not using my old RSX housing, which makes it even more 'plug and plug'. I am not modifying my original cluster in any way, so if I decide to take the S2000 one out, I can quickly and easy just plug back in my original one. That is the reason why I suggest getting a 2nd cluster to build a plug and play harness and to use the housing as well.

1 - 20 of 985 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.