Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks back, I purchased an S2000 Push Start and was pondering on how I should go about installing it. Some people had utilized the cut-out for the hazard button, while I also read someone had put it where the 12V plug is. I didn't want to lose my hazard button and didn't think the 12V plug location was practical, so I ultimately decided to go with the Ignited Aluminum Push Start Panel (purchased off of ClubRSX).

The install was pretty straightforward, as I used this post and the diagram contained within it to get myself started. I ordered the required SPDT relay from sounddomain.com and within a week I had all the materials I would need for the install. Including the money paid for the push start button, the total cost for the install was probably about $50 or so.

Basically, all I used was the diagram and that was it. The most difficult part was having to modify the faceplate to allow fitment for the push button itself (had to dremel the hole bigger for the push start b/c the S2k button is larger than the Ignited button) and leaving enough material to mount the faceplate. As you can see in the pic, the button is a perfect fit and looks terrific IMO. The red switch to the right of the push start is wired to my two 9" underseat red neons, while the other two switches are idle at the moment until I find a use for them down the road (the faceplate came with a hole for the push start and three holes for switches, so I had to fill them with something).

I will end up replacing the radio faceplate b/c (as you can see from the pic) it is sinking in about 1/4" at the top from being taken in and out so many times (it is warped a tad bit), but is fine for now. I'm also not sure about the color I have it painted, but oh well, that is what projects are all about.

Install took me and a buddy about 3 hours total...most of that time dedicated to running the wires, dremeling the aluminum panel, soldering the wires to the back of the push start, and getting everything mounted on the radio faceplate. Comments are welcome, and I will answer any questions regarding the install, etc. Overall, it was a fun project...there is just something cool about pushing a button and having your car start!

·
Back To Honda
4,126 Posts
I am installing push start button soon as i get them. Should ship out tommrrow. I will ask you if i come up with any difficulty during install ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
why do ppl like this so much. in the end it takes longer to put the key in and turn it, then push the button, especially if your button is on the same side as the key and you have to use the same hand. just my opinion, not flamin.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It really doesn't take any longer to start the car now...it is just a quick turn of the key and the button is right there to push. I have it wired so if the button ever decided to fail, all I have to do is remove the panel from below the steering column and plug the ignition back into the factory immobilizer...it really is a pretty simple mod. For some, it may not seem all that practical, but that could be said about anything...I just think it's cool...

:thumbsup:

Also, I edited this post so the pic is directly linked to my cardomain website. For some reason the pic wasn't working, oh well. At any rate, to answer a previous question, a rough estimate for material cost would be about $50 or so.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask...I know a few of you said you were about to try and do it.

·
Banned
7,563 Posts
this is a little off topic but what are the other three switches for?

·
Registered
732 Posts
i find the push button thing rather stupid..whats the deal with it??
i cant see my self put in the key then turn it to ignition then press the button...FUCK JUST TURN THE KEY...lol

hey bud great job on your s2000 push button:)

·
Registered
571 Posts
i like it.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, the "ENGINE START" text illuminates red. Also, the red switch beside the engine start illuminates red when it is in "on" position. The two other switches aren't wired to anything at the moment b/c I couldn't think of anything for them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If nothing else you should wire them (if they're spst) in series with each other to the fog lights. that way you'd have to switch all the lights for your fogs to turn on, and it'd look cool to flip all the switches one after the other :D but then again, that's totally impractical

·
Back To Honda
4,126 Posts
Installed OEM honda s2000 start button, You do not need relay at all. All i used was 3 wires, ground, power and wire tapped into starter wire.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts