Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm finally putting together my build thread, and as the saying goes better late than never. Know I may miss a few things that I haven't written down on this thread, but I think for the most part I was pretty faithful to take pics. I've had my EP3 for a little over 3 years now, and I'm still very happy and excited about this little beauty. The purpose of me buying this car was to replace my old daily EJ6 coupe (which I'll throw up some pics of later) that came down with an electrical bug that I could never find and ended up selling. My biggest concern was dependability and no payments. She hasn't changed too much since I 1st got her, but we've definitely had a journey and I've learned a lot. And I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible hopefully building her up to the point where she's pretty nasty on the streets:vtec: Anyway on with the pics.

Exterior
96 Accord lip
OEM front bumper mask and hood bra
Spec D fog lights with custom protective covers wrapped in golden yellow tint
OEM black housing headlights with custom eyelids
OEM blacked out taillights
OEM blacked out bumper markers
OEM 04-05 side skirts
OEM mudflaps
ABS rear diffuser
16x8 Unknown wheels wrapped in Carbon Series CS89 225/50
(back up wheels)17x7.5 Drifz 207b wheels. Tires coming soon
VIS Racing Type R rep wing

Interior
Pioneer head unit
Center dash and interior trim pieces painted Carbon Mist

Engine and Transmission
CAI with custom heat shield
Mishimoto radiator, cap, thermostat, and slim fans.
EM2 CMC
Competition Clutch stage 4 6 puck and 11.5lb flywheel
(3)Innovative 75a motor mounts and Torque Solutions passenger side mount
NeuSpeed short shift adapter and bushings
DC shorty header - custom 2.5"catless piping - De-fouled O2 sensors - DC Sports exhaust.

Suspension
DC Sports Titanium strut bar
Tein Street Pro adjustable coilovers and springs
Megan Racing Camber kit
Coresport rear strut bar
Buddyclub 2 ball joints
Energy Compliance Bushings

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here she is on the day we 1st met

Sorry for the dark interior shot, but this later that evening.

A couple shots from the following morning

I had forgotten how bad my front bumper used to look, and the poor fog lights weren't even secured properly and eventually fell out on the highway:confused:

The Big Ole Honda sticker:laughing:

These Konig Feathers were actually decent little wheels. Just a little too small of a wheel for this car.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lolol, yep! The side skirts and LED lights you hooked me up with will be on the soon to be posted updates. How long does it take admin to normally approve pics?

·
Registered
280 Posts
You've got over 600 posts; they should be there instantly. Unless, of course, it's another problem that they're glossing over here; who knows.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, now that I've got the picture situation sorted out, here's some snaps of the old EJ6. :weeeeeeeeee:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So still reminiscing, but ffwd just a lil bit. Me and my son giving the new to me Ep her first wash.

Eventually the bumper began to be a real eye sore for me, so to help resolve some of that I bought a flimsy ebay Mugen lip. Which unlike the Type R rep lip on the EJ coupe, the Mugen lip didn't last very long

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just some random shots. I was working on my camera phone skillz.

Ouch, my front end needed some work badly! (bumper paint, crinkled fenders, fog lights, torn up front lip) Decent shots with a camera phone imo tho.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eventually I got rid of the Mugen rep lip, and found a 96 Accord lip that I fitted and painted NASCAR yellow. Hindsight not sure if the color choice was so good as it drew attention to that ugly front bumper. :banghead:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soooo, as some noobs to K series do, whether they choose to admit it or not. I found myself pretty excited with the cars performance especially coming from single cam world. After reading through a few threads I couldn't understand all the hate that A3's received from their owner's and decided to put it to the test. I went out on some nightly runs (on a closed course) and found some amazing results. Now I'll say I'm not sure of what condition the other cars were in or what mods they may or may not have had, but the owners must have thought they were good enough to run them so I'll count them as legitimate. In 2 consecutive nights I had success against:

DA Integra w/ exhaust other mods unknown 3 out of 3
IS 300 w/ exhaust other mods unknown 2 out of 3 (mis-shift on my 1st run)
DC2 Integra looked to be a Type R clone 2 of 2
Charger SXT w/ exhaust other mods unknown 2 of 2
Protege w/ exhaust other mods unknown 4 of 4.

On the last night after repeatedly spanking the Protege, I noticed the motor had developed a ticking sound. I decided to make my drive home cruising the highway at 50mph. About 3 mi. away the ticking got louder, I knew it was bad and decided to decrease my speed even more, thinking "I just want to make it home." Unfortunately I didn't make it as the engine light came on shortly followed by the sound of what seamed to be metal shrapnel falling from underneath my car behind me in the road. As the car shut off I coasted to the emergency lane and looked back in my mirrors to see if I could see anything, but there was nothing. Needless to say it was my 1st time blowing up a motor, and I gained nothing but knowledge that I'm glad to share from the experience.

"A3's are strong and dependable motors. Even decent enough to hold their own and shock a few people. But they are at high risk when run hard to 7k & 8k rpm. :rest

Aftermath from dropped oil pan.

Penetration point found when the motor was pulled. I didn't get a pic, but the bottom of the block had a crack running threw it entirely.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As much as I wanted to do a K24 swap, our at the time newly purchased house took financial priority. So I simply purchased a low mileage JDM K20 from JDM Florida in Orlando. Highly recommended company, great staff, excellent customer service, and 100% satisfaction. This was my 1st time (but not last :mad:) doing a motor swap. Read through a great thread somewhere on this site along with youtube videos, and an awesome group of friends that helped me see it through.

The Local Vatos helping me pull the motor and transfer parts. Btw I'm not in the pics. :shady:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Damn, when you blow up an engine, you blow up an engine! :eek:

Good to see the pics showing up now. :thumbsup:

Really sorry about the lights - looked up on SBL's and DD's websites, and can't find those particular LEDs bulbs anywhere. :crap:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn, when you blow up an engine, you blow up an engine! :eek:

Good to see the pics showing up now. :thumbsup:

Really sorry about the lights - looked up on SBL's and DD's websites, and can't find those particular LEDs bulbs anywhere. :crap:
When you're going to do something whether good or bad do it to the best of your ability. :laughing:
Yeah i'm glad I got the pics working now as well.

Mmmaaannn, I was really looking forward to installing those headlights on my car seeing how great they worked out for you. But I'm not throwing them away just yet. I'll keep looking for another way to get them working, and if you ever come across those ballast buried somewhere just send them my way.:fistbump:

On the good note the sideskirts look really good. I tested them out Sunday and I was really happy to see the sides don't look so naked anymore. I'm just trying to figure out a way I might be able to keep my front mudflaps on before I go full install.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still bringing this thread up to date, which brings me to our next exciting adventure. I encountered some more trouble which led to the frying of the motor me and my friends recently installed. Forgive me, but I'm not sure of the technical name of the valve that runs coolant from the TB to the motor, but it ended up malfunctioning on me while I was headed up the Dames Point bridge which is one of the largest bridges we have here in Jacksonville. This bridge has really no place to pull over for emergency and is always a nightmare for disabled vehicles. So as I was going up the valve failed, leaked all the coolant out, and the motor overheated. I was fortunate enough to make it to the top and shut the car off and coast down the bridge, but then I had to start the car back up to make it across another mile or so stretch over the bridge.

Downhill view of the Dames Point bridge

Me and a buddy towed the car home, but I figured with the heat+stop&start the motor was certainly warped.:rest

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lift:Another shout out to JDM FL as they honored the warranty no hassle at all, and I ended up picking up a new tranny as well, because 3&4th gear was grinding. I had tried Mobil1 syncromesh to no avail, and I wasn't confident enough in my mechanic skills to open up the case and replace just those gears.

3rd go round motor.

Newer tranny.

Now I gained a great sense of pride and accomplishment from this experiance. I swapped the motor and tranny in over the weekend, as I needed to have it up and running to get to work Monday morning. All my friends for one reason or another were unavailable to help so I logged 23hrs of work on the swap by myself!:lift:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Congrats - third time's the charm!

Glad you got it all worked out, though you should probably key your friends' cars. :)

I pick up my car tomorrow afternoon finally; it'll be very weird to drive a manny after 6 weeks of slushboxes.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So after the solo swap I was kinda feeling myself :giggity: and decided to try my hand and some paint projects. Did my valve cover and intake a custom sparkle crinkle purple, and the IM cover black w/ yellow lettering. The lettering didn't come out to good because I did a poor masking job, but I was cool with it. Re-sprayed the coil cover gloss black and added H that I had lying around that I sprayed sparkle yellow. Overall I was happy with my work.:hb:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Eventually I traded out the 15" Feathers for 17 5+'s Also gave the front calipers a nice spray of yellow as well.

I was going to grab these Enkei WDM wheels, cause I absolutley love the design, but even at a 16" wheel they're too heavy weighing almost 20 something lbs?!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats - third time's the charm!

Glad you got it all worked out, though you should probably key your friends' cars. :)

I pick up my car tomorrow afternoon finally; it'll be very weird to drive a manny after 6 weeks of slushboxes.
3rd time is the charm:rotfl:

Man you must be super stocked. Not only will it feel different driving a manny again; with that Type R it'll be like driving a totally different car! I'll be lurking for the updates:fistbump:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Onward with a little more catch up. I was feeling a color change for the wheels. I knew I wanted a dark colored wheel, but didn't want to go traditional black on black. Gunmetal gray ran through my head a lot, but I had seen that too many times as well, and it was still to light of a color for me. I ended up finding a color called "Carbon Mist" made by Rust-Oleum. I loved it so much I painted VC and intake, along with my mud flaps that color.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts