Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So recently I attended the Sports Car Club of America’s (SCCA’s) Track Night in America (TNiA) Event at New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJMP). Enough acronyms for you? ;)

I’m posting this in hopes that I can raise awareness about these events and get some of my DC5 peoples to rip up America’s tracks with me.

The Basics

Track night in America occurs on weeknights from 4 PM to 8 PM (often times longer from my experience) and is intended to offer a cheap experience for those wishing to beat the crap out of their cars in a safe environment. Racers get two paced laps and an hour of all out, competitive driving!

But here’s the thing, it’s only 150 dollars!

Track Night occurs at a plethora of sick venues, such as National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park in Bowling Green, KY, Willow Springs International Raceway in West Rosamand, CA, and near other cities such as Chicago, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Dallas, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Palm Beach.

Checking Your Car

Here’s how it works. Usually each track has their own rules and tech forms. This is the part where people usually become a bit intimidated and ask a bunch of questions and back out of racing their car. But fear not! Track Night is meant for novices and advanced drivers alike. If you message me, or a Track Night Staff Member, we will help you out as best as possible!

This is a short list that will help you know if your car is ready or not:

• Generally you want to make sure there are no loose items, like drivers floor mats or cups of coffee or bird cages flying around your cockpit.
  • You want to make sure your battery is secured with the positive terminal taped off or covered.
  • There are no loose suspension components or failing components on the car—your ball joints, wheel bearings, struts, bushings, and etcetera should be in good shape.
  • Your car is not leaking any fluids or setting on fire.
  • And lastly, you have a firm brake pedal, gas pedal, and hopefully a firm clutch pedal. We still allow base owners to come out ;)

Run Groups

For novices, there are no instructors—but the event is still very safe. Before and after every run, novices will have a novice drivers meeting where they get a quick debrief by an experienced racer working with the SCCA, the chance to raise concerns, or give advice to fellow novices.

The emphasis is always safety with the SCCA and you are encouraged to take safety into your own hands and to be a responsible person.

Intermediate and advanced drivers can apply too. These run groups are geared toward people who know what they’re doing on the track and have prior track experience. These racers should be more comfortable within extreme limits of their car and should be the guys who are always aware of their surroundings—pointing people by when necessary and driving courteously and responsibly out of habit.

Show Me the Money!

And lastly, if you’re still not convinced there are a ton of discounts.

Sign up for Track Night’s website forum and you can get emails with monthly discount codes. If you’re an SCCA member, put it down! You get $25 off as an SCCA member. Military? We have discounts for that too!

Also, I am personally giving out my own coupon code to get people involved. All you have to do is send me a PM here on CRSX and I’ll get right back to you with the code.

My Experience

I’ve done this twice so far at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ and I’ll tell you what—autocross just doesn’t cut it anymore! Check out this video from my first ever TNiA event and hit up my blog to read about my first experience as well:

·
Cole me on the panny sty.
1,245 Posts
This looks great. Wish it was in my neck of the woods. I hate the prices around here (chicagoland)

·
Vietnamese Singer
28,049 Posts
My friend showed me this a few days ago, didn't know you had a thread up on here. I'm signing up for a couple events this summer, $150 for a half-day is great in my book when the only other option is to pay $400-$500 for a full day. Mind sharing your discount to me in a PM? :fistbump:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friend showed me this a few days ago, didn't know you had a thread up on here. I'm signing up for a couple events this summer, $150 for a half-day is great in my book when the only other option is to pay $400-$500 for a full day. Mind sharing your discount to me in a PM? :fistbump:
Def bro :) how long have u been racing and where u located?

·
Vietnamese Singer
28,049 Posts
Missed June's event, registered for tomorrow and August's event. Got my pads in and bled my brake fluid, but my wheel studs are acting up. Need to find someone to clean up the threads in the morning, or find studs to press in; probably not going to make tomorrow's event :/

·
Vietnamese Singer
28,049 Posts
Not sure if anyone cares but I'll throw in my input. I was able to clean up the threads to torque my nuts down (I'll be doing extended studs soon though). The atmosphere was much more relaxed than other events I've ran. Unfortunately it was 100 degrees out and there were 100+ drivers (30+ in each group). First couple sessions I took it slow because I was still getting used to the car and the field was absolutely packed, but by the end of the night I was making good pace. Met a lot of cool guys, and with the exception of a couple guys with egos, it was very relaxed and chill.

I've ran with clubs like the Porsche car club or the BMW car club in the past, and sometimes those guys will have a bit of an attitude because you're driving a Honda, but with SCCA there were all different makes and models; there was a Porsche Cayenne, a smart car, etc. Everyone was generally on the same page and it's a good way for newbies to get out on the track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts