Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was washing my car and noticed a screw stuck in my font left tire....its stuck in there good...should i jus leave it or what ?:noes:

·
Mr. Type-S
732 Posts
is it on the side of the tire or the part thats in contact with the road? if its on the flat part where it touches the road, take it out and plug it with tire fixer thing. Takes less than like 5 mins

·
Lurker
34,690 Posts
pull it out then put some soapy water where the screw was and see if there are any bubbles. I actually had a screw in my tire on Saturday but luckily it was very small. :pray:

Reactions: uNREAL

·
Mr. Type-S
732 Posts
there are couple types of fix a flats.... ones in a can where you put stuff inside your tire through the air hole. This will inflate the tire and when you drive around it will fix the hole.
Another kind is a patch. You put the patch (sticky rubber thingy) on a screw with a hole for the patch to go through. You stick the screw into the hole and pull it out real fast and the patch will stay there. After that you just drive around and it'll be fixed.

edit* you have to put air in it after you fix it with the patch

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kk thanks all...imma do it myself....will the patch eventually go out or something....or is it a permnant fix....+rep for evryone :thumbsup:

·
One race car :(
4,528 Posts
do not use fix-a-flat!! that shit does not work and makes it harder for the people who fix your tire to find the leak if you take out the nail. not to mention it smells like ass.

take it to a shop and spend the extra money for a proper repair.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
what would they do thats different from me doing it ?
If the screw has penetrated the tread and made a hole, the proper method of repair is to have the tire unmounted and a patch applied to the inside of the tire, then remounted and balanced. Anything else is temporary and cheap shit. You spend well over a hundred bucks on a tire, fix it right. If it goes down while on the highway, it'll shred the tire and you'll be getting a new one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have some experience with doing this stuff so hopefully I can help out here.
First of all DO NOT use fix a flat is annoying as hell when you break down a tire and its full of that shit. Just leave the screw in for now and when you get a chance take it in somewhere like wal-mart or something. until you get it in to be fixed just make sure your checking your air pressure often and you'll be fine.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
do not use fix-a-flat!! that shit does not work and makes it harder for the people who fix your tire to find the leak if you take out the nail. not to mention it smells like ass.

take it to a shop and spend the extra money for a proper repair.
THANK-YOU.

Glad someone mentioned it already.

Heres what I would do. Mix up some soapy water (dish soap) and pour it around the screw to see if you are actually leaking air. If not, grab a screwdriver and slowly start to back the screw out. Keep checking for bubbles. If it is leaking already, skip the next paragraph and go get it fixed properly.

You could get lucky and the screw will not have penetrated the tire completely. In that case you are good to go. IF it does start to leak, thread the screw back in, circle it with chalk (mark the sidewall too) and bring it to a shop to get it patched properly.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I was thinkin that about that fix a flat junk... how can adding crap to the inside of your tire be good? wouldnt it whack up the balance of the wheel as well as be a huge waste (covering XXsquare inches when you really only need .X square inches fixed). I've never really understood the crap... :dontknow:

...hence I've never used it or purchased it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.