Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i screwed for the second time trying to redout my taillights. i got the vinyl from decalgirl.com. i kept on getting those wrinkles when i try to go around the corner of the taillights. :jigglemad now i dont know what to do. i really want to red out my taillights but i keep on fucking up! is jmods vinyl easier since its not precut? i also noticed the vinyl from decalgirl color doesnt match perfectly, or is it just me?
any suggestions would be really nice. i feel like a damn noob.

oh yeah, decalgirl.com has awsome customer service. i hate their stinkin product, but they are some nice people. after i fucked up the first time, they sent me another set for free. i just had to pay for shipping and handling.

·
Car Is Sold!
1,994 Posts
How are you putting it on? Are you trying to put it on dry or are you spraying the area with soapy water first and then putting the vinyl on and squeegying the liquid/bubbles out??? It's best to have a hair dryer handy when you do it. Spray, put vinyl, squeegy as must of the liquid/bubbles out and then heat up the vinyl with the hair dryer. Somewhat make the vinyl stretch when heated up.

·
cole world
5,090 Posts
i had the same wrinkling problem... i jus kinda left it tho, it's not noticable at all unless u go up to the car and look for it.. i do know that using a hair dryer while applying it helps stretch is and put it in place better... im eventually gona redo them but for now they have a litle wrinkle in the corner lol oh well

-nima

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay thats probably my problem. i just tried to apply it on dry/no blowdryer. i followed the direction from decalgirl but obviously it didnt work for me. does the soapy water leave residues?

·
metaphysical impostor
929 Posts
i used decalgirl.com and just followed the instructions and then busted out a credit card and blowdryer to smooth out those edges. maybe you should have a friend help you so you hold it taught while he/she smooths it with the credit card. at first i had some bad edges around the corner of the light but just some time and patients and i was able to work it out.

·
P500 Sport
4,124 Posts
Goto your local hobby store and buy a WHOLE ROLL for $5.00. Then take as many times (hehe) as you need. No one will be the wiser :) we'll now expect pic's of YOUR red'd out tail-lights ASAP. Just to prove your a true tuner j/p

·
Car Is Sold!
1,994 Posts
Fast.Shark said:
Goto your local hobby store and buy a WHOLE ROLL for $5.00. Then take as many times (hehe) as you need. No one will be the wiser :) we'll now expect pic's of YOUR red'd out tail-lights ASAP. Just to prove your a true tuner j/p

What??? The hobby store?? Are you talking about the rolls that they use for the wings of the planes??? I'm gonna check it out...

·
Registered
180 Posts
yes...have to use soapy water to float the decal (as with any decal)

and I did the same red-out. the vinyl matches perfectly (its oracal 8300 just like everyone elses).

initally i had problems with the wrinkles on the side...but being experienced with decals I just worked the corners with my thumb and massaged them out and now its nearly perfect. I stretched the vinly a bit too far so I had to do some cutting (word of warning if you use a hairdryer and dont want to cut)

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
they barely gave me enough vinyl, and i couldn't get the wrinkles out, even with a hairdryer, so i said screw it, and just left them yellow. one of these days, i'm gonna go to hobby lobby or somewhere and get the testors candy apple spray paint and paint them red.

·
(•_•) ( l :) (.-.) (: l )
10,875 Posts
silver comet said:
i used decalgirl.com and just followed the instructions and then busted out a credit card and blowdryer to smooth out those edges. maybe you should have a friend help you so you hold it taught while he/she smooths it with the credit card. at first i had some bad edges around the corner of the light but just some time and patients and i was able to work it out.
exactly what i was going to say but everyone beat me to it

·
Registered
341 Posts
i screwed up the first 2 times too. and this is how i did it the 3rd time..i cut the vinyl for one side of the tail light in half into a top and bottom piece. so basically, i stick on 2 halves of the vinyl onto one of the tail light. if you notice, the amber light has horizontal lines inside the lens. line the vinyl up to those lines and your whole piece will look seamless. by cutting the vinyl in an upper and lower half, you get virtually no wrinkles because of a smaller surface area to work with. you can't even tell it's 2 pieces when you look up close. ive had them on mine now for bout 3 weeks and they look flawless. for those that dont know bout rsx tailights, they would think they came like that out of the factory.

·
Registered
137 Posts
haha yea i had troubles.. im horrible at this stuff, no patience at all, i have like bubbles on mine if u look closely.. i'll end up doing them over sometime, ima jus leave it there for now. its patience i think.. jus gotta take your time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.