Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone knows this:

I need to hook up my air/fuel gauge to the wire running from the secondary o2 sensor. I had hooked it up to the primary (white wire with red stripe), but it gives me a faulty reading (max rich).
Sooooo...I cant figure out where the proper secondary o2 sensor wire is. Ideas?

Thanks guys!

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
You can find the answer to your question here

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Not trying to be an ass, but you've got over 1100 posts (i.e. you have been posting on the site for quite some time), so you should be well aware of the amount of info. regarding air/fuel gauges....there are a ton of threads regarding which wires to tap into and what kind of gauge performance you can expect.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...if i had found the information i was searching for, i wouldnt be wasting my time by posting here.

As I said, I have tapped into the white/red cable that is supposedly the feed from the secondary o2 sensor (according to one of the threads i found). However, its giving me a faulty reading. So now I have to figure out why...hence the post.
Wouldnt it be simpler to just tell me the answer to my problem?

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
Dude, I just ran a search on "air/fuel gauge" and came back with multiple threads that answer your question. The gauge needs a wideband signal to operate properly and get a true reading, but the only wideband wire we have is a red wire running of the ECU....the problem with this wire is it operates between 0V-5V. The gauge can only read between 0V-1V, so you can't use that one b/c either your reading will be out of whack or you will fuck up your gauge. The white/red wire falls within the 0V-1V range, but it is not a wideband signal, so the reading you get from that will also be a little off (you will get decently close readings, but nothing you can use to tune your car with). There is also something to do with the location of the primary and secondary sensors in relation to the cat, but I don't have time to look that up.

In other words, unless you install an aftermarket O2 sensor, the gauge is not practical for tuning purposes.

Search harder next time.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
soccerman002 said:
Search harder next time.
You were doing so well...and then you had to be a jackass in the end. :rolleyes:

Ive tapped into a white/red wire already but its giving me a max rich reading...which it shouldnt, because its supposedly the wire from the secondary o2 sensor (thought it was primary initally). What you posted I pretty much knew already...thanks for the effort.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
In all honesty, I apologize for the "search harder" comment....if you see in my post, it was like 5:45 a.m. and I was getting ready for work at the same time, so I was pretty fucking tired and in a rush.

I have an AutoMeter Cobalt A/F Gauge and have it running off the white/red wire. I only get readings when I am at WOT, and basically nothing or just a tiny flicker here and there when I am at idle or not pushing the gas pedal. I always thought the gauge would stay constantly lit, running back and forth between rich and lean when the gas isn't being pushed....but I did some more research on the subject and found that some gauges are designed to operate in that manner (only read @ WOT). For all intents and purposes, the gauge will give you a somewhat true reading, but nothing concrete that I would bet my life on.

Hope this info. helps ya' out.

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
a/f guage is more of a relative reading....
Get an EGT guage and learn how to read to know more about what your engine doing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey man my buddy has a JRSC'ed integra with a/f gauges and tehy only work when its at WOT which makes sense because thats when you will go lean and blow your motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts