Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my rsx for a couple of years now and finally have the money to start working on it and whatnot. I'm trying to raise the car to be more functional as a daily but I can't get the adjustment rings to move, they just keep chipping. They are slammed in the front so idk if that makes it worse or not. Any ideas to get them free? I soaked them in wd40 yesterday and today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you can't rotate the upper collar clockwise to compress the spring (looking at the picture and the side closest to you needs to move right)

If the above fails then unbolt the two large bolts holding the coilover to the knuckle, undo the outer tie rod, move the coilover out of the way of the knuckle and spin the bottom half of the coilover (not the collar) counter clockwise to break it free. This is guaranteed to work without damaging anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I got the passenger side raised but the driver side won't budge, I can move the top ring to adjust the preload therfore unlocking the other rings, but the whole coilover won't turn like it's supposed to

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I got the passenger side raised but the driver side won't budge, I can move the top ring to adjust the preload therfore unlocking the other rings, but the whole coilover won't turn like it's supposed to
with the top ring out of the way move the middle ring up and out of the way. Then do the same with the lower ring. You should have 2 or 3 sized spanner wrenches and when I tighten them I usually hold the curved part by hand against the coilover and take a sledge hammer to the handle. Try doing this to break the bottom collar free. Or disconnect everything from the base and simply rotate by hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All 3 rings were loose but like I said, turning either one of the top rings just messes with the preload/turns the spring, not the coilover lol I'll try moving everything outta the way to turn by hand tomorrow

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you were able to get all the rings loose can you not rotate the coilover? I thought your issue was getting the rings to break free.

lock the upper and middle collar together, then rotate the middle collar clockwise to lengthen the coilover

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was the issue lol now I can't get the coilover to rotate. I locked the middle and top ring together and it still was trying to turn the spring but not the whole thing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts