Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, the thread title did not fit, but I have some serious inquiries and decisions that I need to make within the next 24 hours that will impact my future.

I got admitted to everywhere I applied but I have came down to these two Universities:

1) Ryerson - ITM (Bcom)
2) Ryerson - Business Management (Bcom) (Waiting List)
3) UTM - First Year Studies in Business (N/A)

I am aware that UTM is a much more competitive environment rather than Ryerson, and I feel that I may not be able to handle the pressure/ stress that will come to me. I am also aware that UTM is a much more reputable, pregitious school. However, if I don't make a good enough GPA competiting with hundreds of applicants to the Commerce / Management stream, I may be transferred to their Social Science program which I do not want.

On the other hand, Ryerson is a school that may be a little bit more laidback compared to UTM. The only thing bothering me Ryerson is the name/ reputation, and also the waiting list offer I have recieved from their Business Management program which was my first choice.

I'm sure with a UT degree, it is known worldwide, but if anything I am planning to work in Hong Kong and is wondering if Ryerson may be good enough for it. The plan is also gain some work experience from Canada.

Thanks alot.

·
Bwhahahahaha
3,191 Posts
Okay, the thread title did not fit, but I have some serious inquiries and decisions that I need to make within the next 24 hours that will impact my future.

I got admitted to everywhere I applied but I have came down to these two Universities:

1) Ryerson - ITM (Bcom)
2) Ryerson - Business Management (Bcom) (Waiting List)
3) UTM - First Year Studies in Business (N/A)

I am aware that UTM is a much more competitive environment rather than Ryerson, and I feel that I may not be able to handle the pressure/ stress that will come to me. I am also aware that UTM is a much more reputable, pregitious school. However, if I don't make a good enough GPA competiting with hundreds of applicants to the Commerce / Management stream, I may be transferred to their Social Science program which I do not want.

On the other hand, Ryerson is a school that may be a little bit more laidback compared to UTM. The only thing bothering me Ryerson is the name/ reputation, and also the waiting list offer I have recieved from their Business Management program which was my first choice.

I'm sure with a UT degree, it is known worldwide, but if anything I am planning to work in Hong Kong and is wondering if Ryerson may be good enough for it. The plan is also gain some work experience from Canada.

Thanks alot.
UTM

the place is great.. everything is Mississauga is great .... academically they share the same Prof as UT downtown. UTM just got a new lib, athletic center... and school clubs and student unions are very active..

heck.. the student union actually gets things done for the students..... they were able to get free public transport for the students.... "lower" parking pass fees, and got 2 extra petitions for all the students there (raised from 1 - petition being having a course dropped anytime before the final exam with no academic penalty.):thumbsup:

PS. Hong Kong ppl don't like Ryerson... they only like UT and Waterloo...

EDIT: petition being dropping one or mutiple courses at single time

·
Yowtai Pedobear in Action
14,817 Posts
all three choices arent that hard.

i would choose ITM, since I was a TA for 1 course.. from the stuff i was seeing, it wasn't that hard and most of the students dont try and fail, so if you work hard, u will stand out! :)

·
14,817 Posts
UTM

the place is great.. everything is Mississauga is great .... academically they share the same Prof as UT downtown. UTM just got a new lib, athletic center... and school clubs and student unions are very active..

heck.. the student union actually gets things done for the students..... they were able to get free public transport for the students.... "lower" parking pass fees, and got 2 extra petitions for all the students there (raised from 1 - petition being having a course dropped anytime before the final exam with no academic penalty.):thumbsup:

PS. Hong Kong ppl don't like Ryerson... they only like UT and Waterloo...
i like you :thumbsup:

·
I'm Chuck Bass
49,069 Posts
all three choices arent that hard.

i would choose ITM, since I was a TA for 1 course.. from the stuff i was seeing, it wasn't that hard and most of the students dont try and fail, so if you work hard, u will stand out! :)
:iamwiths:

I'm ITM grad myself awesome program.

BTW Tomy i wonder if u were TA for any of my course...:run:

Edit: In all seriousness you should investigate yourself which program will suit you best and what you'd like to do ahead/after your degree. Keep in mind, on the forums we each provide our own opinion but the choice should be urs :)

Edit 2: Ryerson's Business school is branded as Ted Rogers School of Management, yes the name is not there but its getting up there. Ted Rogers was a UFT grad himself, he knew there was a potential in ryerson so thats why he donated crazy amount of coin to that school..Good luck.

·
Sexy hand crew
2,680 Posts
i would pick utm...and i did lol

as far as the girls department,,,,:iptf::thumbsdow ...i kid..but seriously

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:iamwiths:

I'm ITM grad myself awesome program.

BTW Tomy i wonder if u were TA for any of my course...:run:

Edit: In all seriousness you should investigate yourself which program will suit you best and what you'd like to do ahead/after your degree. Keep in mind, on the forums we each provide our own opinion but the choice should be urs :)

Edit 2: Ryerson's Business school is branded as Ted Rogers School of Management, yes the name is not there but its getting up there. Ted Rogers was a UFT grad himself, he knew there was a potential in ryerson so thats why he donated crazy amount of coin to that school..Good luck.
What do you do now?

I know someone who also graduated from there and they actually got a really good job at Deloitte right after graduation, I'm assuming he had the luxury of the co-op program.

By the way is it hard to get the co-op option at Ryerson for ITM?

·
586 Posts
u can choose watever. undergrad doesnt mean anything, its becoming a standard. prestige/name/credibility doesnt matter anymore. post secondary education is somewhat important. schools teach the same courses etc. choose which ever your most comfortable with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
u can choose watever. undergrad doesnt mean anything, its becoming a standard. prestige/name/credibility doesnt matter anymore. post secondary education is somewhat important. schools teach the same courses etc. choose which ever your most comfortable with.
Yeah! I heard that a bachelor degree is so common now, so it does not matter where you even go now. It's the school that where you get your Masters from are important.

·
hatin' every ape i see.
1,455 Posts
i'd go UofT just cause of the name.

either way, undergrad is just learning how to "get things done". when you get into the working world, all the things you learnt will seem rather basic.

·
14,817 Posts
What do you do now?

I know someone who also graduated from there and they actually got a really good job at Deloitte right after graduation, I'm assuming he had the luxury of the co-op program.

By the way is it hard to get the co-op option at Ryerson for ITM?
i only did it for one course.. just simple grading and proctoring.

i was mainly TA-ing for Economics

so true

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would go to UTM without a doubt. I don't mean to be rude at all, but I'm just going to tell it to you how it is, imho.

If you're scared to the pressures and competition in University, how do you expect to succeed in the business world?

Ask any new hire at a prestigious financial firm and they will tell you they are working close to 80 hours or more a week with the possibility of being fired the moment they slip up. Plus, coming from a "brand name" school will give you a leg up in getting that better job.

The reason universities are hard or impose pressures is to prepare you for what is coming up ahead. It doesn't matter what it is, engineering, business, commerce, law, they all have amazing time and work requirements. Also, your peers will be of a higher caliber as well and the networking benefits will far outweigh the gains you make academically.

So at the end of the day, it's all about what kind of person you are in making this choice.

Either way, Congrats on your acceptance to both Universities!

·
From euro to JDM
87 Posts
UTM has some okay girls... My friend lived next to a girl on her floor who found a bf within her first week, and her room has NEVER been silent at night ever since. Caught a glimpse of her, pretty cute. I guess it'll depend on year tho, this was 2007 Sept.

As for HK, if you can help it don't come back to work. If you're used to the Canadian way of life, and you're gonna just chill for the next two years at UTM / Ryerson, HK is NOT the place you wanna be.

PS To TOMY, you went to Waterloo, what were you doing TAing at U of T?

·
14,817 Posts
UTM has some okay girls... My friend lived next to a girl on her floor who found a bf within her first week, and her room has NEVER been silent at night ever since. Caught a glimpse of her, pretty cute. I guess it'll depend on year tho, this was 2007 Sept.

As for HK, if you can help it don't come back to work. If you're used to the Canadian way of life, and you're gonna just chill for the next two years at UTM / Ryerson, HK is NOT the place you wanna be.
or get phawx to hire u..

hook upsssss!!

·
bɹo˙ʎʇɹɐduoɯ&#4
10,428 Posts
Nice Wall of Text!

Now someone explain to me what the OP just wrote

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.