Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so today I went to get a reflash at Church's automotive in Wilmington and the guy told me whatever I do don't put Shell gas in because it causes knocks. Now I've always used shell for 87 octane but not 91. What is your guys thoughts?

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
Perhaps he knows something about one Shell gas station with leaky wells, but Shell is regarded as a top tier gasoline! However, I have found that I get better kick/octane from my local Circle K (Marathon) because the gas is so fresh vs the pricey Shell that isn't frequented as much by its clientele

·
GJS
131 Posts
Perhaps he knows something about one Shell gas station with leaky wells, but Shell is regarded as a top tier gasoline! However, I have found that I get better kick/octane from my local Circle K (Marathon) because the gas is so fresh vs the pricey Shell that isn't frequented as much by its clientele
Where I live all the Circle K's were bought out by shell lol either way Shell gas has always been great for me. Always cheaper and never any problems, plus fuel rewards that automatically gets me $.03 off per gallon minimum.

Only time I don't use shell is for Boat. They don't have REC90 fuel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have a base, but I know once I got the reflash(which was yesterday) I knew I had to put 91 but he told me to avoid shell cause they're bad. Even said Arco is better than Shell x_x

·
283 Posts
I got my Kpro tuned at Church's too. they havent said anything like that to me though

·
Cone Killer
517 Posts
I exclusively use Shell 93 or BP on my Type S. No problems so far :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I know up here in Canada, most 91 fuels contain ethanol, Shells 91 does not.

I use gasoline with a 94 rating, and it Shell sold anything over 91 I'd go there.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I know up here in Canada, most 91 fuels contain ethanol, Shells 91 does not.

I use gasoline with a 94 rating, and it Shell sold anything over 91 I'd go there.
I am not sure if it holds true for all of Canada, but here in Vancouver, the local Chevron 94 octane gas is similar to the US Chevron 91 octane. I had been told that our 94 is actually quite similar to California 91 octane gas.
I don't remember where I read it, but people have managed to get more ignition advance (more power) with US Chevron 91 than Canadian Chevron 94.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
This sounds about right because as soon as he said '94' I instantly thought, "That's probably because they added ethanol to bump up the octane rating." (I mean, obviously if it says no ethanol on the pump, then I'm wrong, but most allow/have up to 15% ethanol.) (The converse/alternative being, more fossil fuel octane vs heptane to achieve a higher octane rating.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm going to still use Shell. To me personally I think it's one of the best gas out there and if I do happen to get a knock it's just a sign saying to k24 swap it haha

·
Registered
752 Posts
In Ontario our pumps read may contain up to 10% ethonal. With the exception of Shell V-power 91 contains zero ethanol.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Well I'm going to still use Shell. To me personally I think it's one of the best gas out there and if I do happen to get a knock it's just a sign saying to k24 swap it haha
Yup. Nothing wrong with Shell.
I am tuned on Canadian Chevron 94, and I don't knock when I use US Shell 91.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
Apparently there's a lot of hype/info/discussion out there about this, the Chevron "Supreme Plus" 94. It is not necessarily ethanol-free, like the Shell 91 is up there. So, if you don't need any more resistance to knock than with what a 91 fuel offers, you'll be better off with the Shell 91 because the fuel has more energy/power

1 - 15 of 15 Posts