Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Check the vacuum line to the brake booster.

Not likely a problem but im trying to figure out your comment about brake pedal feel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car is an auto 05, 87k miles, owned this one for only about 2-3 months now after losing my last RSX(03, 105k) in an accident. My car started off by not picking up as fast as it should, followed by a few days later, not shifting from 2nd to 3rd on time. It eventually shifts but i get a vibration in the pedal from the engine working too hard before the shifts. Another issue it is having is downshifting into first gear from second(possibly 3rd as well). While braking, the car ALWAYS gives that "way too early downshift" feeling right when i get down to around 5 mph. One time it did it so hard the car jerked to a stop and died. Restarted it and it ran, same as always with the issue. A few times early on i would start the car, and after a few seconds it would die. Restart and it worked, again not well though. Related to that, a few times, i tried starting my car with the remote starter and it gave the first few chugs every car makes but cut off right before it should have started. Havent had that issue since. early on the idle sat much higher(around 2500 rpms)it still occationaly does but now will sometimes sit at 1500, then other times the normal 750 or so. stays high while driving(in park too). i'm not experianced driving a manual but when I throw it into triptronic and try to compensate for the late shifts it works great shifting up, but still lags when down shifting to first from second(could just be my skill, but I really practiced it) Car also seems to work slightly better and not be as harsh if the engine is warm. But it always gives a jerk right before i stop, and rarely but sometimes shifts into 3rd just fine.
NO CEL Had it checked twice just in case.
Had transmission fluid fully flushed and changed today, didn't make a differnce. Only mod is my short ram intake but that was checked for leaks and seems fine. Had it at Acura all day today and they just told me what I know, that it's either ECU, IAVC/IAC motor, vacuum leak, or my throttlebody/TPS. i dont think it would be a carbon build up because shifts fine in triptronic? Also, possibly unrelated, my shift interlock was on the fence for a while and sometimes made me have to manually disengage the lock(it reads the brakes, just doesn't unlock). It does not work at all now and every time i have to manually press it. I'll update if anything new arises or if i remember anything else..
In the mean time, I can't afford to start replacing parts to see if it will work so I need as much input as possible. (Have spent many many many hours researching, >>INCONCLUSIVE<<) Mechanics i showed are stumped too!! Sorry for the huge write up but this has been going on for over a month now i think and running out of ideas. Help me Crsx, you're my only hope!

Edit: Update at the bottom of the page! <---------------

Hi, I'm Jay, I sincerely hope you've fixed ur issue. I am having my wife describe the exact same thing. It's now 4.28.2021. Her car is a 06 base japan automatic 130k mi. She confirms braking correlation. Idle increases, no power, incorrect shifting- lacks appropriate downshift. We have had an idle issue prior, been about a month since iacv replacement and ecu reset, idle issue seemed corrected. Now this. It would seem according to verbal diagnostics that this is directly pointing to the brake booster and vacuum.
Has anyone made any progress with this issue?
Thank you

QOTD by Dana Perigno
"Nancy Pelosi has a good grip on her Caucus."
You can say that again.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hi, I'm Jay, I sincerely hope you've fixed ur issue. I am having my wife describe the exact same thing. It's now 4.28.2021. Her car is a 06 base japan automatic 130k mi. She confirms braking correlation. Idle increases, no power, incorrect shifting- lacks appropriate downshift. We have had an idle issue prior, been about a month since iacv replacement and ecu reset, idle issue seemed corrected. Now this. It would seem according to verbal diagnostics that this is directly pointing to the brake booster and vacuum.
Has anyone made any progress with this issue?
Thank you

QOTD by Dana Perigno
"Nancy Pelosi has a good grip on her Caucus."
You can say that again.
I doubt the OP is still active on here, but towards the bottom he mentioned that his TPS was bad. I'd take a look there and at the MAP sensor as well. There are troubleshooting steps in the manual for those sensors. It's possible that the trans is slipping, but 130k miles is pretty early for a rebuild, unless it hasn't been taken care of. As for downshifting, there have to be certain parameters met before the ECU will instruct the trans to downshift. I have to step on my brakes pretty hard for it to do it, and it should never downshift to 1st until you are almost at a complete stop.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts