Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
When test driving I thought the knob was ok. Now I don't really like it that much. So question is should I get the dealer to replace it or is instillation easy enough I could do it by myself?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
and another thing I like the silver look but all I've been able to find is the silver with 6- speeds on it. I have a base, where would I find one with either no gears listed or 5 gears listed? Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
it's pretty easy

I have a type S and I got the dealer to throw in the Titanium knob for free uninstalled. (There are actually 4 knobs you can get, the Titanium which is like the S2000 knob and looks the coolest IMHO; and three colored ones, one a bright silver).

As for the Titanium knob, it is pretty easy to install with the instructions -- you can modify them slightly to have the leather boot come up all the way to the knob, instead of the stock way, which has a plastic piece in between.

There are instructions on the board (do a search) on how to get it flush -- it's not that hard to do yourself.

Oh, and there are two Titanium knobs, one with the 5spd and one with the 6spd pattern.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I found the hardest part of the install is to find exact location of the six clips that hold the plastic console trim in place. because I feared scratching the console by using a flat screwdriver, I used a credit card to wedge apart the trim enough to find the clips. I then used the screwdriver to pry at the clips. I viewed this part of the install as requiring finesse. hope this helps.

one other thing, people keep referring to the "titanium" shift knob. the one sold by Acura is aluminum. it does have a color which matches the (plastic) titanium trim which I like very much. the reason I mention this is that there is a real titanium knob that will work but is sold as a Honda S2000 accesory. the main advantage of a titanium knob is that it is much heavier than the aluminum equivalent. generally, the extra weight is desirable. I should also mention that the aluminum knob is about twice the weight of the stock plastic knob so that represents a noticeable improvement. I installed mine allowing the "gap" but not using the tightening nut so that I could screw it down further (about a half inch more). this results in a somewhat shorter throw which is also desireable.

here's a pic:

·
Registered
75 Posts
redline said:
I found the hardest part of the install is to find exact location of the six clips that hold the plastic console trim in place. because I feared scratching the console by using a flat screwdriver, I used a credit card to wedge apart the trim enough to find the clips. I then used the screwdriver to pry at the clips.
I found this part was easy -- instead of prying where you believe the clips are, I gently but firmly tugged upward at the edge that meets the cupholder/tray cover. Those two clips pop up first, and if you continue tugging, the rest will pop.

one other thing, people keep referring to the "titanium" shift knob. the one sold by Acura is aluminum.
Redline's right -- it's officially known as an aluminum knob.

Only complaint I have with it is that it's COLD :nervous: to the touch when the car is cold -- and I live in a mild climate (Northern California)! Would hate to know how cold that knob feels in a really cold place.

I installed mine allowing the "gap" but not using the tightening nut so that I could screw it down further (about a half inch more). this results in a somewhat shorter throw which is also desireable.
This only works with some of the knobs, as it requires the threads inside the knob to be drilled so that the knob shift pattern is right-side up when it reaches bottom on the shaft.

I wasn't as lucky as Redline was with his -- so I had to use the tightening nut.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I read the directions on this page already. I did my HU and I found it was a little different but I had a friend who already installed his HU in his Type- S. He has the titanium knob, and it looks good, but he didn't install it himself. So, I more or less wanted to know if it was semi- easy or as easy as it looked.

Where can you get the knob with the speeds on it? I looked at clubrsx but I only found the 6- speed or the one with RSX across it, which would look fine. Any where else I could look?

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
n/m I found where to get them, or more what I was looking at wrong.

But thanks for all the advicce. I think I may try it myself, just have someone there to help me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts