Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently got a quote from a performance shop about my base RSX.

They said with adding an intake and racing DC header, I would gain about +6 HP.

I was really expecting more (I already have a 2.5 inch custom exhaust) but does this seem correct? I read the sticky archives and it seems everyone is getting way more.

·
Registered
817 Posts
They should have told you that you'll gain 6 if you're lucky, and they probably mean at the wheels. The posts you're seeing with more than that are probably Type S owners, they have a good race header, and they have Kpro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would 100% be interested in tuning it. But surprisingly this performance shop said they don't have a dyno, So i'm not sure if they do any tuning as well I can ask. But I'm starting to think instead of trying to mod it for 20-30hp... maybe just buy another car. But I love my RSX, it's just slow.

·
Super Moderator
23,659 Posts
I would 100% be interested in tuning it. But surprisingly this performance shop said they don't have a dyno, So i'm not sure if they do any tuning as well I can ask. But I'm starting to think instead of trying to mod it for 20-30hp... maybe just buy another car. But I love my RSX, it's just slow.
Yeah sorry you bought a base model... nuff said

·
Registered
817 Posts
Forget about numbers. You can make it more enjoyable, but it'll never be fast without forced induction. Unless you're looking to spend upwards of $4,000, get a different car.

·
Boosted K20A3
61 Posts
I agree with prioritizing on making the car enjoyable, not "fast" without a large budget. Plenty of fun to be had in the mountains with very minor mods :)

Here's a video of my '03 Base Auto with Injen CAI and GReddy Evo2 exhaust on the dyno if you're curious. It put down a whopping 124.8 whp, so I think that answers your question about hp gains with those mods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually got an intake installed, and megan race header. So my issue is, it runs amazing and i definitely feel power! I feel how smooth and responsive it feels. Whatever happened it feels great. Although my fumes are pretty bad when i'm at a red light. I want my cat back because of this fume smell getting to me. I def get some fumes that are pretty noticeble, I asked the shop and they said that's what happens when you get race headers.

Is it possible to cut this megan 4 to 1 pipe and weld on the cat to at least have a tiny bit of gains? Can this be possible or just go back to normal OEM header?

·
WILDCARD!
1,147 Posts
I wouldn't chop off the bottom portion of the race header. What I would do in your case is to take it off, sell it, and get a shorty header instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts