Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody, I've been trying to decide what to get between a short ram intake and a cold air intake. Ive done some research but I'm no expert when it comes to this matter.

Option 1:From what I've found in talking to people, I know a Short Ram is good for a few extra bumps of horsepower and cost less than a cold air intake, but they are more prone to heatsoaking. I honestly am not completely knowledgable on what exactly heatsoaking is, but from what I can tell its obviously not good.

Option 2: On the other hand I could save up a little while longer and buy myself a Cold Air intake which will provide more horsepower, can be tuned for better gas mileage, better ventilates the engine, but is not only more costly, but is also prone to hydro-lock which I know is something I absolutely do not want for my car because its costly to fix.

So here im stuck at an impasse, wait longer and buy a CAI that can either save me money in gas and possibly cost me in garage fees, or buy an SRI (with a thermal cover) sooner but sacrifice the possible gain of the HP and/or mileage.

NOTES: This car is my daily driver. I put on at least 300 miles every two weeks, or roughly up to 1000 per month. I am a server with other bills and dues to pay for as well, so my biggest concern here is, what is the biggest bang for my buck? Thanks for the help guys :eek:

SECOND NOTE![\B] would anybody think about sellin me one of these intakes?

·
Banned
295 Posts
Heat soak is when the heat of the engine and header raise the IAT (intake air temp) which means the air entering the engine is hotter. It wont make that great of a noticeable difference.

If you buy a SRI try to get the AEM v2, it has better gains than any SRI on the market.

If you go CAI then go for an Injen. Better gains over a SRI but not noticeable over the AEM v2. Greater chances of hydrolocking with a CAI though.

If I were you Id save up and get the AEM v2. Slight heatsoak but better gains over the standard injen, aem short ram. No possibility of hydrolocking your motor. Def worth it though.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
I shied away from getting a CAI for a few years due to the hydro lock talk. I've had mine for a few years now and seriously don't see what there is to fear. Simply do not drive through deep puddles <--PERIOD which is probably a good idea whether or not you have a CAI.

Heat soak can be a real problem (pinging and knocking), and I had plenty of it before the CAI. Even with the CAI I went and insulated the tube to reduce it more.

Hybrid Racing is developing a silicone CAI for the RSX (like the ones they have now for K-swap cars). It includes a device to prevent hydrolock. Since you don't have the money yet, might as well wait for this to come out and see what you think (no hydrolock, silicone is less conductive than aluminum so less prone to heat soak, it is a true CAI so far less prone to heat soak). Else get the Injen, which is what I have and I'm happy with it.

PS I live in Oregon where it rains between 3 and 4 feet a year.

·
I f**ked Spaz's sister
855 Posts
The whole hydrolock problem is only an issue if you are driving on flooded out roads. I had mine for 3 years without a problem. Just don't be flying trough water that's more then an inch deep. Simple rain isn't going to hurt it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
To be honest, I don't feel any difference in power with upgraded intakes other than the cool hissing sound at cold starts. You're probably better off keeping the stock intake. I had an AEM V2 and I currently have an Injen CAI.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I live in Maryland too. Ive had an injen cold air for 3 years now with no issues. I have a hydro shield on it as well. Not sure how well it works but for the price it cant harm it any. I have been caught in downpoor and have been super nervous before about it, but no hydrolock here.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hybrid Racing is developing a silicone CAI for the RSX (like the ones they have now for K-swap cars). It includes a device to prevent hydrolock. Since you don't have the money yet, might as well wait for this to come out and see what you think (no hydrolock, silicone is less conductive than aluminum so less prone to heat soak, it is a true CAI so far less prone to heat soak). Else get the Injen, which is what I have and I'm happy with it.

PS I live in Oregon where it rains between 3 and 4 feet a year.
I am living in Maryland so we get a bit less than you which is good. How far into development is Hybrid Racing's silicone system? Any idea on how long the wait would be?

·
Mech. Eng. Tech.
484 Posts
There's no reason to get an SRI. You're better off doing the "Hondata" intake mod on the stock air box.

A CAI is the only reasonable upgrade. Otherwise you're dealing with heat soak. I've been doing some data logging on my rides to and from work and the IAT shows temps ranging from 20-50C above ambient. Air density changes by 0.96% per 10C, so with our 200HP engines that's roughly 10HP lost. I'd be willing to bet it's more, though, in hotter climates - the sun isn't quite warm enough yet to heat the hood of my car.

Also, coolant bypass in the IM and the Hondata IMG are 2 other decent upgrades.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
After years of reading and stuff...

SRI = slightly faster throttle response. perhaps a tad more low end torque. most gains at lower end of the powerband. heat soak can be a problem for some.

CAI = not as quick throttle response. not as much low end torque. most gains at top end of powerband. heat soak less of a problem. hydro-lock is a (small) possibility.

FWIW... I used to have a Del Sol. Tried just about everything over ten years. Drop in filter was noticable; but not impressive. Removing resonator box helped. Biggest difference I noticed was a SRI with a huge K&N on the end. But that car had the filter in the front near the headlight. And the engine bay had tons of room for ventilation.

I think that Spaz has a, sort-of, hybrid intake where the intake tube is shorter and closer to the grill. I'm trying to figure out how to build one myself.

Also... I'm not a daily VTEC person. I like the option of the power. But I prefer the lower end usable power to the screamin' red line. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Best of luck,
-scott

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
In addition to the above...

The Del Sol was OBD-1. So ya' gotta account for that.

And I'm not trying to start an argument. If I mis-spoke or my facts aren't straight; feel free to correct them. I know this can be a passionate topic of discussion. And I wouldn't want to aggravate anyone's Diabetus. ;)

-scott

·
Registered
637 Posts
When I bought my car, it came with an Injen SRI that the previous owner had installed. Before removing it and reinstalling the OEM intake, I had an OBD scanner hooked up, and measured IATs that were significantly higher (I can't remember exactly how much, but it was enough to notice) than the IATs with the OEM intake on. Specifically, the SRI IAT would increase steadily with idle time, with the engine at operating temperature.

As far as performance, I don't have a dyno or G-Tech laying around, so I wasn't able to do a before/after measurement of that. However, my butt tells me that there has been no drop in performance since the OEM intake went back on, so as far as I'm concerned, the only thing an SRI is good for is making more noise, which gets tiresome when you're on the freeway. It's a riceboy muffler for your intake system. Completely useless.

If you want an intake that will increase performance, get a CAI. And a header. And an exhaust system. And then get your ECM tuned to take advantage of the increased airflow that you have.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
For the 10,000th time, cais are not "prone to hydro lock." Just don't drive in to a stupid deep puddle. I live in Oregon where I've driven through a couple rainstorms and have had zero issues.
:p A couple rainstorms... you mean just today, right ;)
Come on we gotta keep up the image or someone might move here :dontknow:

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.