Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend was my third autocross event. It was held across the river in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Registration began at 9 AM as usual. I arrived at about 9:15. I found a good spot in the paddock area and unloaded all my stuff. I bought a big Rubbermaid container the night before so it didn't take long. While I was airing up my tires a Championship White ITR pulled up and parked next to me. The driver and his girlfriend immediately jacked the car up and swapped tires. As they were busy with this their friends arrived in a lime green second-gen Eagle Talon with some obvious turbo mods. He had his girlfriend with him too. Interestingly enough, both of the girls drove.

After I was finished getting my car ready I went over for tech inspection and registration. I had been driving STS before, but I wanted to try a different class. My only modifications are the H&R springs. The registration lady was unable to figure out what Prepared class to put me in, so I drove STS again anyway. Anyone know which Prep class the RSX base model should be in?

While I was putting the numbers on my car (40) a black 1990 Civic hatch rolled up. The owner got out and asked if he could use some of my masking tape. His car had a JDM B16 in it along with coilovers, Konis, and brronze Rota wheels. Very cool car.

I did my walk through. The course had a fairly confusing layout. The highlight was a slalom with three choices at the end. The first time through the slalom you went right through a hairpin and back through the slalom. The second time through you went left and back through the beginning half of the course again. The third time through you went left then right to go through the timing lights and end the run. I walked through six times, so I had a good idea where to go. Several people DNF'd their first time through the course.

I ran a 60 second first run, followed up by runs of 58, 59, and 59 seconds. I finished third of five in STS. The two guys ahead of me were both driving the same 2001 Impreza 2.5RS with Falken Azenis. I beat a 2001 Cavalier Z24 with coilovers and swaybars and a 1999 Saturn SL2 with swaybars, coilovers, and Kumho Ecsta 712s. Both guys beat me the week before. It wasn't in my class, but I ran faster times than a C4 Corvette.

I am usually a very shy person, but the track really makes me open up. I have made a lot of new friends in the past few weekends at the track. Several people congratulated me on my improving skills. I really want to get some new tires, but I know that I should at least close out the season on the rubber I have now. Winter is coming up, and I doubt Ecsta 712s or Azenis do very well in the snow and ice.

·
Crazy Cone Chaser
379 Posts
Your car would also be in DSP but you would be slaughtered in that class. People are running everything to the "T" of the rules: LSDs, ECU upgrades, DOT race tires, coilovers, expensive shocks, and lightweight wheels.

And no the Azenis and 712s will not be nice for snow :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only car that regularly show up DSP is a 2000 Cavalier Z24 (2.4 DOHC 16V). I think I could beat him regularly if I had some decent rubber.

·
Crazy Cone Chaser
379 Posts
PBCrunch said:
The only car that regularly show up DSP is a 2000 Cavalier Z24 (2.4 DOHC 16V). I think I could beat him regularly if I had some decent rubber.
You also have to take into consideration PAX numbers :) Since I've been placing 1st at every event my next step is PAX. So far I've taken 1st in PAX once, 2nd in PAX 2-3 times, and top 5 several times :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts